Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2006, 17:54   #1

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
GARHAUER deck hardware - Opinions?

Do any of you have experience with / opinions on Garhauer deckhardware?

It looks pretty good - stainless steel, anodised aluminium, torlon bearings, etc. But it is quite a lot cheaper than other comparable brands. I am thinking of replacing various bits of twenty-something year old deck hardware on my boat, so I am keen to hear any feedback y'all can offer.

I am looking, at the moment, particularly at blocks (for mast collar, spinnaker sheets and braces), rope clutches and deck organisers.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 18:16   #2
Eternal Member

A good friend and professional boatbuilder/sailor turned me on to Garhauer a few years ago. I bought several blocks and have been very happy with them.

From what I've seen at the boatshows, and the talk I've heard from other sailors, I think the Garhauer line of hardware is very good stuff.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 18:33   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I like it as well, but there are a few pieces you need to look over for strength. One part of a block is strong but another part is week.

Just compair it to a Scheafer equivalent for strength and you'll see if it's OK.

I bought a swivel block once where I had to replace the shackle. It would take up to 5/8 line but the shackle only had a 3/16" cross pin and it was only 1/16" sheet metal. I was using it as a jib downhaul when the shackle broke. I put a solid shackle in and it did fine after that.

delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 19:23   #4
SG

Boat: J/160 #12
Garhauer

I've known a number of people that have used their hardware. I've examined their construction both on boats and at the shows. I think that they provide very nicely and well made equipment. Their reputation and personal approach to warranty or other corrections is highly regarded.

Having said that, the hardware isn't as light or high-tech as (say) Harken, Lewmar, Antal, etc. -- but that is probably not the issue for you.

I would concern myself with the compatability with that "holes" and other attachment consideration that you should match if you can. Otherwise saving a bit of money might not make sense for things like deck mounted tracks, etc. That may, or may not, be a consideration in your case.

........._/)......
SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 19:23   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I've heard nothing but praise for them for many years. Their rep in the US is that of "the little guy trying harder". When it comes to deck tracks, check carefully because when you change makers everything isn't always quite the same, i.e. bolt holes may be at different intervals.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 19:24   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I've heard nothing but praise for them for many years. Their rep in the US is that of "the little guy trying harder". When it comes to deck tracks, check carefully because when you change makers everything isn't always quite the same, i.e. bolt holes may be at different intervals.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 20:40   #7
Kai Nui

Best quality, best price, best customer service. I have their single blocks, double blocks, and genoa cars. On the genoa cars, I lost the bearings through my own stupidity. I also moved them to a boat with a different size track. They offered to fix both problems free of charge. They said that if I lost the bearings, they were responsible for making them so easy to lose. I can not say enough good about this company.
Old 22-08-2006, 23:59   #8

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Customer service SUCKS!

I have been having a very difficult time with Garhauer for several months. Their product is second to none, but getting anything from them is nearly impossible. I first purchased E-Z Glide Adjustable Genoa Car System but it did not fit the track. The slide was 0.190" and the track thickness was 0.240". I sent the units back in March of this year for remachining and to date only have 1/2 of it back and now they want to know when it was purchased, where I sent it, who received it and which particular system I shipped to them. Well, what the hell, I don't work in their plant or keep their records. They are the most confused company I have ever dealt with. I still don't have a useable genoa car system.
Secondly, I ordered a main traveller to replace the Lewmar piece of junk that came with the boat. Their instructions require the mounting, bolt holes be provided to them so the unit will fit upon arrival. Well, I and two others (both very capable mechanics) laid out the bolt pattern. The dimensions were within +/-1/16" and easy to follow. When the traveller arrived (13 weeks later) each of the bolt holes was off by 1/8" more than the preceding hole. The first hole was the only one that fit. The second missed by .125, the third by .250, the fourth by .375 and so forth. By the last bolt, the pattern was so far off that new holes had to be drilled. A simple installation took five hours. I compared the drawing to the final product and there was so little compability that a monkey could have done better in the dark.
My recommendation to you is that if the product you are buying reqires re-work, don't buy Garhauer products. If it can be used off the shelf and you have the product in hand, buy it. They do not have the capability to keep up with orders.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 15:11   #9

I just bought 4 of these:

for the extortionate price of $US14 each. If the quality is as good as reported here, I think I got a good deal, and shall continue to seek out more. If the quality is not good, well, I have leaned a not too expensive lesson. Frankly, it looks like the former is more likely than the latter!
Old 23-08-2006, 17:08   #10

Boat: amel super maramu 53 Kimberlite
garhauer is great

I had garhauer on mt tartan 30 a rigid vang and some small blocks.
i completely rebuilt a tartan 37 and they supplied every item on the boat . dozens of blocks, 12 rope clutches, rigid vang, they even made me a baeutiful custom wing plate and mast collar.
they are notoriously slow in delivery but great on service. i has a 15,000 pound air block explode when a crewmember let the spinnaker sheet loose and it pulled the figure 8 knot through the block. they asked me what the hell i did to the block and sendt me a new on no charge. even though my new boat, an amel, came completely fitted with lewmar and antal blocks, my spares are all Garhauer.
fair winds,
eric
Old 23-08-2006, 17:36   #11

Boat: Tayana 37, M-20/I-20 Scow
Am completely satisified with all the Garhauer blocks, clutches, traveller and rigid vang that I have. Not as lightweight as the Harken equipment I have on my race boat; but, strong, and for the most part well balanced structurally. For a 'kroozer', I'd recommend Garhauer very highly.
Richhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 17:49   #12

Boat: Beneteau First 42
I have known the Felgenhaurer's--Bob and Mary and their son Mark for many years, and have even gone so far as to counsel them on the fact that they dramatically under price their products (compared with Forespar et al). Bob and Mary's opinion is that "We make a good product and we charge a fair price" so they will not increase their prices unless required to do so by increased costs of manufacturing. The products perform exceptionally well and if one has any difficulty a call to Mark, at the factory, is generally all it takes to get a problem resolved.

We should be so lucky to have all marine equipment manufacturers respond and perform so well!

/s/ Scott
s/v HyLyte!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 19:41   #13
Kai Nui

Jentine, I am surprised by your experience, as I had the same issue with the track not fitting the car, but it was because I installed it on a different ttrack than I had bought it for. I will admit, they are less polished than, say, harken, but I would rather by my produce at the stand than at Safeway. Still, I am sure they miss the mark sometimes. We all do.
Old 24-08-2006, 02:31   #14

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
I believe that Garhauer has the best product on the market, but all I want from them is MY equipment that I sent to them to be machined. Their internal logistics SUCKS. They have no idea what is going on within their operation. I would buy their product in the future, BUT only if I walked away from their display with the correct unit in hand.
I am not the only one who has had problems with service. The Beneteau sites that I subscribe to have many complaints concerning service, especially re-machining of improperly prepared components.
Product - EXCELLENT Service - BELOW POOOOOOOOR

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 16:41   #15

Just for the record; I just took delivery of a bunch of Garhauer blocks that I purchased on ebay, blocks and rope clutched. While it is not quite as smart looking as harken or spinlock, it looks to be well made, robust and very functional. There are no sharp edges or any of the problems that have been mentioned. Obviously time will tell, but at first look, I am very happy.

Tags
hardware