Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 01:41   #1

Future project need some help (newbie)

Hello to everyone on the forum.
I want to buy/build a boat to travel around for a while.
I know the basics of sailing and will be learning the rest soon.
when it comes to boats I'm a newbie
what would be a good boat for sailing around? I would also be living on it for long stretches of time. and then ofc the question is it better to build one (via a kit or something) or buy a used one (with some help from people that know whats good) and clean it up, or buy a new or nearly new one?
note that I'm not rich and I'll be working very hard for it.
then you have the cost aboard which will be basic food/water/music and all thats needed to keep it running etc.
What I have been thinking about is; stopping once in a while and staying there for a while for work(calling around where I want to stop and ask for work, doest matter what.)/repairs/restocking.
even though that not everyone thinks its a good idea I would really like to know if its possible and maybe a small price estimate (say 50 000 euro's for the boat alone inc. repairs or whatever?) I live in belgium at the moment and I'm dead serious about this. But as this is all new to me.. I could use some much needed help.

ps: I know it will take a while and I know it will be alot of hard work. but i also know I want to do it

pps: I'm good at hoarding knowledge and will be doing it for every aspect of sailing inc maintenance and so forth.

-Regards
Dantrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:58   #2

if you are looking at leaving in the near future then building is a mute subject, because there are not enough hours in the day to work at a job and then come home to work on building a boat. don't know what 50000 euros can by you in Belgium or any where else, as you do not ellaborate on how big of a boat you want or would be able to afford. ie dockage, insurance, maintenance, etc. i applaud your youth? and quest for adventure! good luck with your quest
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:45   #3

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Hey Mike - it may be a 'mute' point but I think you meant 'moot'

Regards, Randy
Old 11-04-2007, 06:47   #4

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
BTW - welcome aboard Dantrag! This is a great site with many experienced sailors to help you in your boat quest and with the afterpurchase questions.

Good luck in your search
Old 11-04-2007, 07:03   #5

well I'm not really sure on what boat would be best, I've seen a 25'+ kit (25 foot in length I guess?). But it would need to be big enought to live on or atleast to keep mee aboard for a while, It should also be fit for opensea as I dont think I'll beable to keep a coastal route all the time. but like I said, when It comes to boats I'm a newbie and therefor don't really know what type it should be. A big enought boat that can take to sea (not just coastal cruising) and big enought for 1 (maybe 2) people. as for what I can get for 50 000 it depends really and I'm not that sure where I can get the best deals. UK, north west france, east germany, belgium, holland are places that arnt to hard to get to from here, if that would broaden my choices. 50 000 is only an estimate as I've seen a few used boats for around 35k-40k that might do the job. I also wonder what the lifetime of a boats usually is, as I wont beable to buy a boat every so many years (possible to reach 10+ years of use with minor/medium repairs etc)
any help is welcome as I'm practically starting from scratch.

-Regards
Old 11-04-2007, 07:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d.
if you are looking at leaving in the near future then building is a mute subject, because there are not enough hours in the day to work at a job and then come home to work on building a boat. don't know what 50000 euros can by you in Belgium or any where else, as you do not ellaborate on how big of a boat you want or would be able to afford. ie dockage, insurance, maintenance, etc. i applaud your youth? and quest for adventure! good luck with your quest
as for building, It would take a while to get the money anyways. I'm sure I can find some extra time for that or help from other people. like I said in the post above, the 50 000 is an estimate and I'm starting from scratch (about).
Old 11-04-2007, 10:24   #7
Scurvy Dog

Take a look here, lots of good information:

http://cruisenews.net
Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark
Take a look here, lots of good information:

http://cruisenews.net
thanks, some good information on there ^^
Old 13-04-2007, 13:13   #9

If you're considering building a boat then it might be worth looking at Phil Bolger's AS29 and AS39 (aka 'Loose Moose'), both found in his book 'Boats With an Open Mind'. they look like square plywood boxes, but are a tried and tested design that'd be just as at home on European canals and rivers as offshore.

I'd second the comments about building a boat taking a long time - I decided I wanted to build a Bolger Chebacco in 2003, and I still haven't cut a single sheet of plywood. Now I've worked out that if I want to go sailing before I retire, I'd be better off buying a used GRP boat and refitting it to my tastes.
teadaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 14:52   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Dan and Tea,
Good choice for buying a used GRP boat. I never met a Bolger design I liked but I have to say they are easy to build. I'd just be embarrassed to be seen in one.
Welcome aboard Dan!! Guess you know that this is a forum for opinions and I've got a bunch.
Good luck on finding the boat design of your dreams. There are many out there and some are really good bargains.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 15:30   #11

Boat: now floating easy37
i say build a boat im nearly finished building my very nice ply 40ft cat and if i had 50000 euros id be finished, i can only work on it part time due to full time work but should easily have it finished in under 2 yrs, you do need to be dedicated
check my work here
Sean and Tania 1

ans the designers website here
Easy catamarans

some of his boats 35fters have been built for under 50000$ aus and they are not a bad looking boat, the plans are pretty cheap too, his 2000 hrs till finish is pretty accurate as i have seen a few people finish them in a year full time
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 15:32   #12

Boat: now floating easy37
oh and these boats sail pretty well to, they would also be perfect for two people and are very easy to build(im a teacher), oh and whatever you do dont build a square plywood box
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 06:47   #13

A cat would indeed be nice, I forgot about them for a moment there >_<
But as I live in a small studio the whole building thing would cost me some extra's (a place to do it, etc.). but I'm looking around..mainly in the UK atm, as my father lives there and has provided me with some info. I thought I found something perfect (a motor yought) but when I had a look at the prices of the used ones.. they are WAY over my budget (that and fuel costs would be too high). but thanks for the feedback. More advice, etc. is welcome and I'll post something when I know a little more ^^

-Regards