Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2014, 09:35   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40.1
Ft Lauderdale: 2-3 hour refresher/instructional on 38'(+-) monohull? Suggestions?

All:
I'm heading to Ft Lauderdale with my wife and daughter in a few weeks for Spring Break. I'd really like to break away for a 1/2 day and take a "refresher" instructional sale on a 40-footer +- monohull. Just a one-on-one with a competant/experienced sailer would be perfect to refresh my skills, ask all the questions, work the lines, tacks, review typical boat systems (engine, electronics, plumbing, etc..).

The reason for this: I'm going to charter a 38' in June in BVI and I would feel much more comfortable going into that with a recent refresher sail under my belt, as it has been 3 years since I've skippered a cruising yacht. I sail all the time on sub-20 footer's but need a tune up on the larger vessels to feel more confident on my upcoming charter.

Do you have any suggestions for someone in the Ft Lauderdale area? I wasn't necessarily wanting or needing a formal school, such as water sailing">Blue Water Sailing School (though, I will inquire into their availability for such a refresher). I was thinking just thinking that a local boat owner/skipper with some time who would enjoy the company and teaching for $100-$200-ish fee.

Any suggestions or direction would be a big help! Thanks!
KeepInTune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 10:55   #2

Boat: Morgan 383
Re: Ft Lauderdale: 2-3 hour refresher/instructional on 38'(+-) monohull? Suggestion

KIT, I think you are wise to ask for some help. The older I get the more I know what I don't know.

For anyone out there that might be willing to take on this teaching job I'd like to suggest that you consider donating the fee to a local sailing association that helps folks (and kids) learn to sail.

Many of us don't really need the $100-200 fee if we're working and typically sail weekends, etc. (Not to say that there aren't plenty of us who wouldn't mind making a few hundred bucks every once in a while too.) I suppose there's a liability issue here too with charging for instruction....

Just a thought.
Dale Hedtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 11:09   #3

Re: Ft Lauderdale: 2-3 hour refresher/instructional on 38'(+-) monohull? Suggestion

Thanks, Dale...
Good point about liability, etc...and would be happy to donate. I'm sure many would do it for free (frankly, maybe to just get an excuse to get away from the wife and hit the water). I just didn't want to expect to engage in something like this and not offer some compensation. We'll see what works out here...
Old 25-02-2014, 07:54   #4

Anyone else have any thoughts or suggstions on a "refresher sail" in Ft Lauderdale area?

Tags
hull, monohull