Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 10:21   #16

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: From Texas to Florida

If sailing the Gulf, advice from myself, id stay due South of the oil patch. It's not worth the headache. It gets really thick South of Belle Pass/Fourchon, LA. And Houma, LA. I'll take a picture of our charts here on the bridge of the OSV I'm on.

Plus the oil field vessel traffic coming in and out of Fourchon area and then ship traffic from the two Mississippi River passes.. If you can and are capable, I'd definitely just make a great loop around it all. And with the light fronts we've been having lately from the north, you may make better time than the ICW.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:19   #17

Ronnie is right. This time of year I would go way outside the oil patch or go the ICW. While you would run 24 hours a day offshore, daylight is in short supply for the ICW route. Close in offshore there is heavy traffic, some unlighted structures and an occasional barge on a long string behind the tug. In the ICW the tows can be bumper to bumper in Louisiana.

All that said I have done both at night but always on a power boat with the speed to pass the tow if necessary. On a sail boat, you can get half the way past and have to drop back because another one is coming to meet you.

I never hit anything off shore but once did pick up a black and yellow 2" hawser in one of the wheels. I continued on towards Port Eads on one engine until I lost steering. Then a nice supply boat towed me in whereupon I hired a couple of guys with Cajun scuba gear to cut the line off the wheel. Cajan scuba gear is where you put a 5 gallon bucket over your head and go under a boat with a hacksaw.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:01   #18

Boat: Beneteau 343

I have not seen the Cajun scuba trick. Not sure I want to see it under that circumstance.

My plan is to sail as offshore as needed with one possible exception. Years ago I was told by a captain who said he does the trip all the time that Vermillion Bay was a good bailout if needed. Not sure I will want to attempt to motor the whole way and if I need diesel perhaps I'll detour to Intercoastal City and see the exciting sights there.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:17   #19

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottthardin View Post
I have not seen the Cajun scuba trick. Not sure I want to see it under that circumstance.

My plan is to sail as offshore as needed with one possible exception. Years ago I was told by a captain who said he does the trip all the time that Vermillion Bay was a good bailout if needed. Not sure I will want to attempt to motor the whole way and if I need diesel perhaps I'll detour to Intercoastal City and see the exciting sights there.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
You can check out Grand Isle, probably a little more touristy, and town wise. It's right off the "end of the world Highway" wink

- Ronnie...on the geaux
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, texas