Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2012, 05:37   #1

From Nidry(Lefkas) to Cyprus

Hi,
I am planning to take my boat from Lefkada (Greece) to Cyprus in April this year.
The route will involve crossing the korintian channel, then to Poros and E to kos and so. I am having doubts about how to approach to the Cyclades crossing.
My plan is to sail a maximum of 10 hours a day.
Any suggestions?
Should i go NE from Poros to Lavrio and cross ESE to avoid reaching the Meltemi? or shuld i go SE from poros to Santorini to get far from the Northern Aegean?
Thanks.
dinajui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 08:14   #2

Boat: Liberty 49
Re: from nidry(lefkas) to cyprus.

There won't be a meltemi during April and May. You could go either way but if thinking of going via Rhodes and the Turkish coast then I would suggest the direct route from the Corinth canal, via Aegina, Serifos, south of Naxos, Paros and Amorgos, then Astipalea, Nisiros or Tilos to Rhodes. Then you can cross to the Turkish coast if you wish and coast-hop all the way to Cyprus.

I've done it a few times at that time of year and had mostly light winds or even none.

Cheers,

Mike
captmikecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 08:41   #3

Re: from nidry(lefkas) to cyprus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikecoin View Post
There won't be a meltemi during April and May. You could go either way but if thinking of going via Rhodes and the Turkish coast then I would suggest the direct route from the Corinth canal, via Aegina, Serifos, south of Naxos, Paros and Amorgos, then Astipalea, Nisiros or Tilos to Rhodes. Then you can cross to the Turkish coast if you wish and coast-hop all the way to Cyprus.

I've done it a few times at that time of year and had mostly light winds or even none.

Cheers,

Mike
thanks mike!!
dinajui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 05:22   #4

Boat: Wauquiez 43
Re: From Nidry(Lefkas) to Cyprus

If you want to avoid the paperwork etc clearing in and out of Turkey, leave Rhodes (Mandraki harbor) for Kastellorizzo (also marked Megisti on Greek charts, and Meis in Turkish). It's the last Greek island going east and lies about 5 NM south of the Turkish harbor at Kas. It will likely take you longer than 10 hours but I've done it within daylight by leaving Rhodes at dawn.

The customs guy at Kastellorizzo is relaxed about paperwork, so don't worry about the fact that you probably cleared out at Rhodes and got your Greek transit logged stamped. Just show your passports and pay a small fee for anchoring.

You can either anchor at Kastellorizzo or tie up at one of the tavernas. Wait here for a settled weather forecast and then head to Cyprus - nearest landfall is Latchi.
psp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:38   #5

Re: From Nidry(Lefkas) to Cyprus

Kastellorizzi stop is a very helpful tip. I was previously planning Rhodes to Cyprus direct.
AdrianW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cyprus, cyprus