Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 18:51   #1

Boat: supercraft,Bill Dixon.61ft ,,,n
From China to LA ?

I am looking for anyone that has experiance in a north Pacific crossing..As I am gearing up for this trip at the end of March -mid April...Any sugestions ? or advise would be welcomed....Thanks RM ....
nascar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 20:41   #2

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
I would suggest purchasing a copy of "Ocean Passages of the World". That has charts of the old Clipper Ships sailing routes. It's an expensive book but well worth the $. That passage will take some planning.

Do you plan on doing that voyage non-stop?
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 23:43   #3

Kanani,
Thanks for the book referance.I bought it about 5 months ago...And yes if the weather permits it will be non-stop..But I will also be south of the Aleutian Islands so just in case of fowl weather I would hope to have enough warning to take cover...
Yes alot of planning has been almost a year in the works.....Thanks again
Old 10-12-2007, 23:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar11 View Post
Kanani,
Thanks for the book referance.I bought it about 5 months ago...And yes if the weather permits it will be non-stop..But I will also be south of the Aleutian Islands so just in case of fowl weather I would hope to have enough warning to take cover...
The routes of the old sailing ships I have found to be quite accurate and they give you the best months to make most any passage in the world. They even give you Lat & Lons to make for before taking a new heading and it changes by month. Take them as being very accurate and you have a good chance of having a pleasant and fast passage. They have hundreds of years of input from the best sailing captns in the world.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:40   #5

Boat: Downeast 38 - Scappare
That's an exciting trip! I have been daydreaming about it and would be eager to read how it went! Keep us posted. Did you buy a boat in China - or did you sail there?
JoSchmaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:06   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
...But I will also be south of the Aleutian Islands so just in case of fowl weather I would hope to have enough warning to take cover...
Where, in the N. Pacific, would you expect to "take cover", in the event of foul weather?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:00   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Where, in the N. Pacific, would you expect to "take cover", in the event of foul weather?
Down below
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:00   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Sorry, I’m too dense to figure out that your track South of the Aleutians, referenced open sea room, and not a proximate harbour of refuge.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:19   #9

Quote:
Kanani,
What port will you be leaving from?

May in the Aleutian Islands may still be quite cold. I have'nt broken out my copy of "Ocean Passages" but I remember planning a cruise through the Aleutian's (many years ago). I seem to remember the optimum month to be June/July arriving to the West Coast (Seattle area) in Aug/Sept.

There are some really neat anchorages in the Aleutian's. The fishermen up there are extremely friendly and helpful. My brother-in-law used to run a fishing boat out of Kodiak. I went out with him a few times in the summer and we stopped in a few anchorages. I just don't remember which ones.

I don't know how much of a hurry that you are in but unless you intentionally plan on cruising the Aleutian's, I'd give the islands a wide birth. The closer that you get to the islands, the higher the risk and the worse the weather as the wind compresses close to the islands.

I am a great proponent of parchute sea anchors and would highly recommend one on that passage.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:10   #10

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hal Roth wrote a book about sailing from Japan to Seattle. It might be worth taking a look at. I can't remeber the name off hand. Also there was a fellow on this forum who sailed in China. He was german but I can't remeber his name.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 13:16   #11

Boat: Norseman 447
Presume you are looking at buying Red boat in Hong Kong, Have you looked at yet?
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 13:26   #12

Boat: Sceptre 41
here is the website I was talking about brunohamm - [1] Bruno's Website & Revenge

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 13:40   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
here is the website I was talking about brunohamm - [1] Bruno's Website & Revenge

I never have to wonder why some people sail solo:

Quote:
After trying in 1987 to get a divorce, which lead to a psychological terror campaign by “unknown” domestic or foreign organizations not provided for in the Japanese Constitution but actually existing in Japan and supporting the Fine One (some guys had to re-write their books), under which every night (for months) columns of roaring motorcycles drove through my sleeping room in my in solitude in the woods located house, near which no roads exist, I had endured enough,
I too have endured enough of his blog. LOL
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 19:38   #14

I will keep all posted as to the best route from Shanghai...With everything I have read so far..It looks like A mid April start and based on 5yrs of wind and sea heights the best route is almost non-stop.at 31-33 degrees due east...But I still have a few more months to decide.....RM
Old 11-12-2007, 21:36   #15

Quote:
I will keep all posted as to the best route from Shanghai...With everything I have read so far..It looks like A mid April start and based on 5yrs of wind and sea heights the best route is almost non-stop.at 31-33 degrees due east...But I still have a few more months to decide.....RM
Great circle route should get you a litte farther N than that and cut off quite a few miles. It should also take you over the top of the Pacific High. You sure don't want to get stuck in the middle of that thing unless you carry an awful lot of fuel. I think you'd need to get up to at least 35N at about 160W.

I am a little surprised. That's only about a 7000 mile passage. Maybe 60 days or less.

What kind of boat?

Tags
China