Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2011, 09:47   #1

From Annapolis to Jacksonville

Is to late to leave from dec 15 from annapolis to jacksonville what should i expect

thanks a newbi
fabrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 09:52   #2

Re: from annapolis to jacksonville

Inside or outside?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 10:10   #3

Re: From Annapolis to Jacksonville

a bit of both

and wondering time it takes its a 380 hunter
Old 17-11-2011, 10:25   #4
Eternal Member

Weather in December is unpredictable. Sometimes it's fine. Some days will be spring-like. Other times, it's terrible. Very windy, extremely cold, snow and ice.

The time it takes to Jacksonville will be dependent almost totally on the weather. If you've got lots of time and can pick your weather, it's not too bad most years. But, if you're on a tight schedule, it's a crap shoot. You pays your money and takes your chances :-)

Two to three weeks would be an "average" fast trip. But, it could be much more, depending on weather.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 10:31   #5

Yeah, there are people that are more experienced with the outside than me (did it once). But I would be real cautious going outside from Norfolk around Hatteras and south a bit. I got spanked real hard in october. No prediction at all.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 10:37   #6

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

I just returned to Annapolis last week after taking my boat a bit south of Jax. It will be Cold. Do you have a full encloseure? The daylight is limited. 9-10 hrs max. Get up in the dark and get going at first light. The chesapeke is the most difficult run... get it over as soon as possible.

Did I mention cold?

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 10:40   #7

hum well now have to find a good captain to come with me
Old 17-11-2011, 10:58   #8

yes i have full enclosure

will try if i can to go before the 16 dec
thanks for all your input
Old 17-11-2011, 11:16   #9

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei

I did it last year right after Thanksgiving on a Hunter 42CC, going down the Chesapeake and then the ICW. Stayed in marinas every night because of the cold. Wouldn't wait too long after Thanksgiving though to avoid icing up your lines, etc. As it was I ran into some icing conditions on Pamlico sound in December. I agree on avoiding Hatteras on the outside, with the weather you're probably asking for trouble, and with your draft you should only have to be careful on a few spots on the ICW. Use Active Captain or the cruise.net to give you a headsup on those spots (mostly in Georgia).

Good luck and have a safe trip.
Old 17-11-2011, 12:53   #10

What is your boat?

The ICW is a breeze. If your draft is less than 7 ft you should have no problems. It is nearly the same distance on the inside aas the outside unless you are going overnights it is not worth it. Great places to visit on the inside, even in winter.

Old 17-11-2011, 13:00   #11

If you are in Annapolis and would like to go over the ICW charts I have made the trip more than a dozen times and I would be available to do so. PM me for contact info. Will

Old 17-11-2011, 15:50   #12

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

December has the shortest days of the year, light-wise, so you're mileage in the ICW will be limited. I just came back from a run from Annapolis to Charleston, and it wasn't bad. Having a portable propane heater on board helped. If weather permits, go outside at Beaufort inlet to St. Marys. Did that earlier this year and it only took 60 hours. Good luck.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 16:54   #13

Boat: Mason 43

I did Norfolk to St. Augustine two weeks ago and it took 5 days outside. If I were doing it in Dec. I would probably do the ditch to Beuford but I have never done the ICW. Last year we were a month later and it was cold. I don't have an enclosure so getting to Florida as fast as possible is always important so being able to sail 24hrs a day is my first choice.
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 18:06   #14

i guess it will be exciting it will be my first time for this trip i just bought a boat in annapolis and i want to bring it in a warmer climate
Old 17-11-2011, 19:09   #15

Boat: 1999 IP40, Charbonneau

Fabrik...My wife and I made the trip last year in mid-December. The ICW can be thought of as a "school". Your mind and sight must be focused on markers, currents, depths, channels, and traffic 100% of the time. Speaking from experience, not thinking for just a moment can cause a grounding. While exiting the ICW at Wrightsville Beach, I nearly took the wrong side of a buoy, not realizing it was an inlet and the marker colors reversed. When the water began disappearing, I did a panic reverse stop and my wife called for local information. Waiting for bridge openings while contending with current, wind, shallow water, and impatient power boaters can be a white knuckle experience also. What I'm telling you is the ICW can be quite challenging if you are a relatively new sailor.

When the weather was good, we went outside...what a difference! Sailing actually became fun. However as others have mentioned, weather fronts can change quickly. We had 5-6 foot waves breaking at an angle to our stern while coming in at Georgetown. It was a "pucker-factor" of 8 for what seemed at least a half hour until I cleared the deteriorated rock jetty. Fortunately that occurred on the return trip when our boat handling skills were slightly improved.

The difficulty for a new sailor is obtaining experience without having an accident. But, you can not gain experience without being exposed to a variety of circumstances that can be quite intimidating. Books can't cover these things...the only other way is having an experienced person at your side to alert you before the situation becomes a crisis. My recommendation is practice, practice, practice.

Stay alert, be safe, and have some fun, too.

Bill
bchaps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, jacksonville