Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2011, 23:16   #16

Re: From Annapolis to Jacksonville

Thanks Bchaps i apreciate your comment
as you say i will absolutly find a experience captain i need to learn learn learn and practice practice practice
And after that the boat in florida i will sail everyday to make sure that when i come back down north in the spring i will be able to do it with my wife
fabrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 09:34   #17

Boat: 1999 IP40, Charbonneau

Fabrik..here's another idea. Like you, we took possession of the boat in November (but 2009). Because most sailing schools are closed at this time, I contracted an ASA captain to teach my wife and me on our boat. We also supplied all food and fuel. We had a great Captain who lived aboard with us for nearly two weeks, doing the class room work on "bad" weather days and going out on nicer days. Because his expenses were drastically reduced and it was an off peak time, and we combined the first three ASA courses (101, 103, 104) my cost was approximately 30% less than his normal advertised price for the three course package for one person. So we got a two for one deal!

It was an intense two weeks, but after he was gone, we immediately took the boat out for an afternoon, anchored, made lunch, and then returned to the marina. We were excited with our accomplishment. We continued to practice on the Neuse River through the Spring and Fall 2010. We also assisted our son with a delivery from Charleston to New Bern, NC. So by December 2010, we had a fair bit of practice and ICW experience prior to adventuring South to the Keys.

Bill
bchaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 08:01   #18

so a update i own the boat

and i am leaving the 6 december from deale md to jacksonville
with a very experience captain so i am relly excited and looking to learn a lot from my trip anyone know a good marina un jacksonville

yesssssssssssssss
Old 30-11-2011, 08:51   #19

Boat: Mason 43

I don't know what you are looking for but a little further down is St. Augustine which is a great place for a while. There are several marinas and a city mooring field that is very reasonable.
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 08:57   #20

Good luck on your trip. I would be interested in hearing about it since I'll be making part of that trip come May going south from the Cheaspeake to Beaufort, NC. Normally I would be going the inside on the ICW, but thinking that the trip outside is only 170 miles or so ....maybe staying close to shore and away from the western wall of the GS. That might be a more enjoyable experience if a good weather window can be obtained vs going the ICW?? I suppose looking at west to northwest winds might be good for heading south and staying out of the stream?
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 08:57   #21

ok thanks i will leave the boat ther couple weeks

so if you think its possible its great
Old 30-11-2011, 09:13   #22

Thanks Lancelot
will try to post event of the trip
when i can get internet
Old 30-11-2011, 09:13   #23

Boat: 1999 IP40, Charbonneau

Congratulations Fabrik! You will learn so much on this southern trip. Be safe and have fun!

Bill
bchaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 16:58   #24

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

I just finished the final leg of our Annapolis to Florida journey, taking our boat from Charleston to Fernandina Beach. Nice 24-hour outside sail. Leaving the boat there for a month. Fernandina Harbor Marina is a great place and not too expensive. We're back in Annapolis now, but are looking to spend New Years down there and then take the boat further south.

Fair winds,

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, jacksonville