Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2018, 11:31   #61

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25
Re: FREE, or close to free!

There is another aspect to this, and that is that to a lot of people the work is the goal. I cannot sit still very long. I read before the sun comes up and after dinner, unless I have a project that I could fiddle with a little bit, then I read myself to sleep late at night. I can easily see myself later in life fixing up an old boat, not too big, that I never intend to use, just to keep my mind and hands busy and a reason not to get rid of a lifetimes accumulation of tools. I have a friend, a retired contractor like me, who has a trawler that he has been on a waiting list in California for 3 or 4 years for a slip in Hawaii. He has spent most of that time on the hard in a yard working on his boat from before sun up until after sundown every single day. Last time we spoke he said he was considering adding 3 feet to the stern. I feel like he might be finding projects to avoid ever going anywhere, but that is his business and he is a very happy busy guy. I think that for every hundred or so persons who let their boat rot at the slip or in a yard, there is. Someone who will get abandoned boat seaworthy and use it. I know I have seen a lot of boats in my life sold after the builder spent his whole life with his backyard full of dreams and died without realizing them. But there are also Slocums who rebuilt Spray in record time with hand tools late in life and to a finish he was happy with, and Harry Pidgeon built his boat in a like amount of time with hand tools and was the second solo circumnavigator. Too many people throw up their hands at hard work and discipline and are happy to sit and watch TV. Of course with reruns of Wagon Train on in the day and Peter Gunn in the wee hours which is I suppose a viable option. My lunch is through, I am going back outside again to check my garden, dig two post holes and put in the pists and then I am going to continue what I was doing before lunch, which was adding a shingle picture of a yellowfin tuna to the front of our house.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 11:37   #62

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yep, the trailer idea is good but everyone's circumstances are different.

I prepped my low priced/free $2,000 boat in a boatyard since I had an apartment only at the time I bought it which is why I did the very least then launched it

I wouldn't buy a boat with soft spots. I'm not the guy that would want that much to do on a boat besides the painting and all the rest

I'm the type that need a good hull and deck plus the boat must be loaded with equipment including good anchors and rode.

I'd also want a dodger and an autopilot all of which came on my boat. I did have to replace the engine a couple times though and replaced the mainsail with a new one ........

So I put $3,000 in engines. An old diesel that failed and a new 5 hp 4 stroke extra long shaft outboard that I still use.

The 8 oz main was $1,600

Replacement autopilot $450.

Solar and controller maybe $150 - $200 since I have 3 controllers and 100 watts worth of panels. I only use one of the PVM controllers. The one in use I paid $18.00 for new. just hooked it up yesterday. The other two were $12.00 each. And I had one fail this past Winter that I paid $33.00 for. Condensation buildup

I removed a broken stanchion in 2016 and filled in the holes with epoxy. I bought a new base and stanchion but have yet to replace

I replaced the lifelines with polyester/dyneema line.....maybe $100.00
Sounds like you found a sweet boat, I personally would not want to be doing a motor swap lol. But I totally get you not wanting to do deck re-core projects. I would love to find a boat with sweet ground tackle already, I ordered a Mantus anchor for our boat to set the old girl up.

Anyway, some good of boats are out there for the DIY folks like us
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 11:37   #63

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
If it’s the ‘59 and west coast model it has the solid decks which do flex a bit when you walk on them, but that is not delamination or any cause for concern. Btw ‘59 was the first year! Very prestigious! The Columbia 29 was designed to compete with the Triton in ‘59. (The Columbia is a little faster!)
The Triton can be fitted with an outboard well, see atomvoyages.com. The Columbia 29 can’t really.
My outboard when down on the bracket which is mounted on the lower stern is almost 2' beyond the stern.

Mounting the outboards in the well does help the appearance but I hate to cut more holes in the boat. Also if you were to cruise long distance, you can pull the outboard off the bracket and mount on the stern rail dinghy engine mount. My engine is a 5 hp and weighs about 58 lbs
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 11:42   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Sounds like you found a sweet boat, I personally would not want to be doing a motor swap lol. But I totally get you not wanting to do deck re-core projects. I would love to find a boat with sweet ground tackle already, I ordered a Mantus anchor for our boat to set the old girl up.

Anyway, some good of boats are out there for the DIY folks like us
My boat still needs lots of cosmetic work, new cushions below, new lighting, new wiring, the windows replaced.......I plan to paint the cockpit area soon

My boat came with 5 anchors. The main one I use is the CQR on the bow with it's associated 40' of chain and rope rode. Everyone tells me how worthless these old CQR's are but mine has save meet tons of time. The other one is a Bruce with chain and rode plus 3 danforths

I did sand it down to the original gel coat in the Winter of 2014/15 and repainted the topside hull after I completed sanding the bottom. $88.00 plus brushes etc for the topside.

Pictures are when I first started sanding topside after having sanded the bottom

I think it was $400.00 plus for the pull at the boatyard and the first months storage. Bottom paint was around $350.00 this time which was the second time I have done it since I bought it in 2011
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01759.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	165055   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01760.jpg
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	165056  

Old 27-02-2018, 12:00   #65

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Hellosailer, I don't know what state you are referring to but it seems that at least once a year, the Everett, WA. Marina (which is the largest on the West Coast, over 3K boats) has a boat sale. I do not have personal experience, but I have been told they auction boats off that have been abandoned. Sometimes given for free. I do know a lady who bought an old, wood, 40+- ft. Chris Craft. She says she got it for the back moorage. She then happily moved aboard. How much did she pay? I don't know, nor do I really care. It certainly seemed like a good old boat. Especially for a person living on a limited income. This is based on the few nights I spent there.

I would think since boats are personal property, but like Real Estate, which is Real Property, they could be transferred by a Sheriff's deed. If that is even necessary. There may be somewhere in the fine print of a moorage agreement a provision that says the Marina can file a lien for non payment and take possession of your boat. But who reads the moorage agreement? I have seen in my 20 years when I was a tenant in the E.M. numerous boats chained to the dock for non payment of rent.

And while we r on it how about the boats seized by the IRS and Coast guard, drug boats?

I am sure this entire conversation will be gone over by those folks more knowledgeable than I. And will b hashed about, for and aft. But thank you for your thoughtful and courteous reply. The point I have been trying to take to the conversation is boats r like gold. They r where you find them.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 12:25   #66

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Hellosailer, I went back and reread your post, page 3. I will be willing to bet a marina, any marina is not going to allow a boat to take up valuable space by just squatting there. "Out of our water, damn boat." So you would have a good shot at a survey, of your choice, while the boat is on the hard. And when the marina sells or gives the boat, there should be paper work that would defend the purchaser from any legal action on the title. JIMHO.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 13:46   #67
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" The owner of the marina then has rights to ownership "
That's quite right. And here on the east coast, those rights must be enforced by the legal transfer of title in fulfillment of a properly recorded lien.
Until the marina owner or someone else has filed the proper lien, sworn that they have the right and interest in the property, and that the current title owner of record cannot and is not discharging their obligations...

The marina owner has rights to squat.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 14:36   #68

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

Hello
In addition to everything said here its true that some people some times don't have $0000 to purchase a sailaway boat but do have a few hundred today any lots of energy. I was watching tv in New Orleans when the pictures of hurricane Andrew's devastation in S Florida appeared with stacks of sailboats piled like cordwood. This was before the internet. I was 25, jumped in my truck and drove to Miami. In 7 days I owned 3 sailboats, all less than 10 years old for the grand total of $800.
A 30' Seafarer ($500) with diesel, no water damage but a broken mast above the spreader. I simply cleaned her up and sold in 30 days for $5k.
The second was a MacGregor 25, $100, it had laid over in the yard a punched a 5" hole above the waterline and the forward hatch had blown off . No other damage.
The third, a 22 O'Day for $200, Had a broken rudder and very minor gelcoat scratches.
I hauled the 22 & 25 back home .Used sails, new rudder, some paint and fiberglass and I was a happy sailboat owner. Is also true that buy the time I had bought sails, cushions, motor, anchor I could have bought a turn key boat. Know yourself
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 15:00   #69

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
While its not the best start, delaminated or wet decks aren't complex to deal with. It requires basic tools on those older models without headliners. It may take a little time but can be done right and not for to much money. I will post an article below for a few ideas just fyi.

Good Old Boat - Delamination is not spelled d-o-o-m article

I suppose if your not comfortable using a jig saw, table saw, glue, angle grinder, etc. this may be too much work. Which makes these sorts of boats such a good bargain for those of us who have no issue doing this sort of work. The ability to trailer home or move the boat home and work at your own pace also helps.

This stuff might just be the answer to saving a lot of old sailboats:
Videos
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 16:06   #70

Boat: in the works

Quote:
Here is a Triton, beautiful and tough little boats!

https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/p...476687419.html

There was a west coast version (solid glass decks no core) that sold out of SF a week ago for I think 3k! I was excited about that boat, a real beauty. Hopefully she went to a good home.
Saw this one some time ago. He does mention soft spots on the deck which may be a big deal for some do to the amount of work needed. Oh and is that a furling main?
jefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 16:13   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
There is another aspect to this, and that is that to a lot of people the work is the goal. I cannot sit still very long. I read before the sun comes up and after dinner, unless I have a project that I could fiddle with a little bit, then I read myself to sleep late at night. I can easily see myself later in life fixing up an old boat, not too big, that I never intend to use, just to keep my mind and hands busy and a reason not to get rid of a lifetimes accumulation of tools. I have a friend, a retired contractor like me, who has a trawler that he has been on a waiting list in California for 3 or 4 years for a slip in Hawaii. He has spent most of that time on the hard in a yard working on his boat from before sun up until after sundown every single day. Last time we spoke he said he was considering adding 3 feet to the stern. I feel like he might be finding projects to avoid ever going anywhere, but that is his business and he is a very happy busy guy. I think that for every hundred or so persons who let their boat rot at the slip or in a yard, there is. Someone who will get abandoned boat seaworthy and use it. I know I have seen a lot of boats in my life sold after the builder spent his whole life with his backyard full of dreams and died without realizing them. But there are also Slocums who rebuilt Spray in record time with hand tools late in life and to a finish he was happy with, and Harry Pidgeon built his boat in a like amount of time with hand tools and was the second solo circumnavigator. Too many people throw up their hands at hard work and discipline and are happy to sit and watch TV. Of course with reruns of Wagon Train on in the day and Peter Gunn in the wee hours which is I suppose a viable option. My lunch is through, I am going back outside again to check my garden, dig two post holes and put in the pists and then I am going to continue what I was doing before lunch, which was adding a shingle picture of a yellowfin tuna to the front of our house.
You... you get me, man! (sniffle) You really get me! This is exactly how I feel.
Old 27-02-2018, 16:24   #72

I'm glad to see the comments shifting towards more positive. Thomm225 that's a nice looking boat! Keep us in the loop with your progress!!
Old 27-02-2018, 16:30   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
I don't know about this one, Jef. It appears to me to be exactly the kind of boat others are warning against. The seller is telling me in his own words it needs 10-15K, IF the engine checks out.

On a positive note, here are two others in the same area for a hair more money that appear cared for, sailable and enjoyable while upgrades are made. There's hope for sailors on a budget!

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...501911493.html

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa...505075874.html
I guess we read the ad differently. Minor interior work, spring diesel tune up, running rigging, and bottom paint. Even without knowing what the interior really needs I don't think your'e in the $10K range.
Old 27-02-2018, 17:13   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefjo View Post
I'm glad to see the comments shifting towards more positive. Thomm225 that's a nice looking boat! Keep us in the loop with your progress!!
Progress will take years since I'd rather sail it than work on it.

The boat is seaworthy enough now to handle the 20 miles or so of open water that I sail across normally

I plan to paint the cockpit area in the early Spring, install another autopilot, then it will be time to sail after I put the jib and dodger back on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01828.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	453.8 KB
ID:	165083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bristol 27 outboard.jpg
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	165085  

Old 27-02-2018, 22:43   #75

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
If it’s the ‘59 and west coast model it has the solid decks which do flex a bit when you walk on them, but that is not delamination or any cause for concern. Btw ‘59 was the first year! Very prestigious! The Columbia 29 was designed to compete with the Triton in ‘59. (The Columbia is a little faster!)
The Triton can be fitted with an outboard well, see atomvoyages.com. The Columbia 29 can’t really.
Hey Don,

The model for sale on craigslist I posted was an east coast version, sadly. However the one I saw a few weeks ago out of SF was the solid deck you speak of, what a beauty. I love the atom voyages site, great articles!

Regarding the Columbia 29, glad to hear she is a bit faster . Also, ours does have the outboard well from the factory is that what you mean? Or were you speaking about the tilt up well the atom does? I don't feel guilty saying I think the Columbia 29 is one of the most beautiful boats ever.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote