Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 12:36   #226

Re: FREE, or close to free!

He's John, that's the one I referenced back in Nov on another thread. I am on a tablet and typing zucks. Could you cut and paste my post from that thread earlier today with info on this Columbia29 in nj? Thanks
Old 07-04-2018, 13:01   #227

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Yes, Steadman, as always, very 'Seaworthy' advice! Cheers.
softgoodsint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 13:07   #228
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
Could you cut and paste my post from that thread earlier today with info on this Columbia29 in nj?

> I have not been on c.f or online some Nov 2017 and my posts in this thread. My health failed and it has taken me the last 5 months to regain what I could of my health. Still not out of the woods.typing on a tablet because the desktop cup got fried while I was in the hospital. Anyway,yesterday I was browsing on the tablet and came across the very boat i referenced in my original post, 29 Columbia sailboat for sale $900!!!!!!!! On craigslist.org New Jersey (Central newjersey) it is a STEAL! Located in Morgan Marina, nice staff, do it yourself yard, well outfitted marine store on premises with realistic prices, clean restrooms,and more! One of my favorite marinas to visit in central nj. You can ask for Shawn, the marina mechanic, who will be able to get you in touch with Reuben the Columbia 29 owners rep and previous owner! Good luck to whoever scores this boat[emoji3] Big shout out to those of you on c.f who know me or have liked with me in last years,best of health to all. I hope to get sailing this Summer. Gene
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 16:57   #229

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Ok that is the poster child of a great possibility for practically nothing. With a running diesel too? Sheesh, what has the world come to that a boat like that is not snatched up quickly? OK yes I am a little biased, but a solid proven boat with a diesel for under 1k? wha?yakiddinme???
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 18:15   #230

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

IMHO, Columbia's were not that well made. They were okay but nothing to write home about. For some reason their reputation has gained undue affection on sites like these.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 22:07   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
IMHO, Columbia's were not that well made. They were okay but nothing to write home about. For some reason their reputation has gained undue affection on sites like these.
The company changed hands in '68 and then moved in '72. I actually agree with you if you are talking about the 70s boats built after the sale and move. And too the older ones' interiors were simple and basic by modern standards, in fact mine was built before they put liners in. But drill a hole for a new thru hull and you'll see a generously thick hand laid up hull. My tabbing is still solid, and the hull/deck joint is glassed over and also dry. The bilge is dry. There are no big ticket problems (knock on wood!) No oil canning, no rotten core hulls, no blisters (though I do confess I heard of one C29 with blisters.) And in my case no keel bolts too. Part of the appeal for me is the big bang you get for your buck with boats built in the 60s.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 08-04-2018, 19:29   #232

Boat: Catalina Capri 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Ok that is the poster child of a great possibility for practically nothing. With a running diesel too? Sheesh, what has the world come to that a boat like that is not snatched up quickly? OK yes I am a little biased, but a solid proven boat with a diesel for under 1k? wha?yakiddinme???

I’m telling you Don, these are magical times. Makes me think of that old saw about the Chinese words for “crisis” and “opportunity” being the same. I don’t think that they truly are but there is something to the idea.

The costs for services and rents are as high as they’ve ever been, but the costs for stuff are super low. Marina fees and storage fees are high, while the actual cost of a physical boat is low.

This is reflective of larger economic trends I’ve noticed. Look at the electronics store Best Buy, and their proprietary in-house installation team, the “Geek Squad “. 55” tv:$299. Mount it to the wall? $149.99.

To me that’s crazy, but I don’t want to turn into my grandfather and itemize all of the things going wrong in our culture and so on. All I know is that there are great boats to be had for cheap, I suspect it’s because of how markets work and that the supply of old boats is outstripping the demand for same. That Pearson and the backstory that went with the ad sounded promising to me. The extra $300 the marina is owed clinched it. I’m confident it’s filthy, like a college bachelor’s apartment with extra garbage. It probably smells strange indeed. But I bet you could get it and sail it and be feeling pretty cool.

I think the “almost free” boats tend to be the best, in that $900-$3,000 range, coincidentally right around the cost of annual storage. These boats also tend to be located in marine storage yards, which tends to mean they were pulled out, hopefully just to store, possibly to repair, set on the hard, and then abandoned. “Free” on the other hand, seems to be more likely to be on a farm or other rural lot, farther from getting back into the water water both geographically and chronologically. Of course there are exceptions.

My boat’s previous owner had twins, and some other life changes, and hadn’t launched for 2 seasons and was prepping to pay winter storage when he decided he’d had enough, and sold.

That Pearson seems to be on the market for similar life change type reasons. Good luck with it and please keep posting.
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:07   #233
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

For those of us looking to upfit for offshore passage making, a reminder is important that while it is true that

there may well be miraculously cheap "base platforms" out there, but

unless you enjoy working on your project boat almost as much as getting out on the water,

spending an extra $10-20K or even more for an already fitted boat much closer to ready

will not only save time and headaches,

but is even likely to be cheaper overall.

As I said, there will always be exceptional examples that prove the rule

and for those of very limited means may be better to start sooner

rather than searching for that unicorn forever.

But yes it seems we are living in an era with an expanding unicorn population!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:25   #234

Boat: in the works

1970 Douglas who looks to be in great shape with some goodies to go along for the price of $6K.
https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bo...555324906.html
jefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:41   #235

Anyone in Maine? I'd like to take a look at this if it were closer.
https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/h...555940325.html
Old 09-04-2018, 16:04   #236

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefjo View Post
Anyone in Maine? I'd like to take a look at this if it were closer.
https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/h...555940325.html
Haha I am sitting here on Maine Craigslist and just saw this boat. Why not get the allied for $6500 instead? Much better boat.
Old 09-04-2018, 16:14   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Haha I am sitting here on Maine Craigslist and just saw this boat. Why not get the allied for $6500 instead? Much better boat.
Is the Allied a ketch rig? I don't think I saw it.
Old 09-04-2018, 16:44   #238

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefjo View Post
Is the Allied a ketch rig? I don't think I saw it.
https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/1...548062137.html
This one dude! That's the boat for you my friend.
Old 09-04-2018, 17:46   #239

Quote:
My buddy has the CL Luders 30. Great boat, the only issues were the MD7A that needed rebuilding and the hull blisters (it is in that vintage) that we ground out and filled. I'd check 'em both. The hull is thickly laid up though. I've heard some salts say this is one of the best all around cruising boats. That's very cheap for that boat, makes me wonder....
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 09-04-2018, 17:52   #240

Quote:
Oh! YEah I did see that. Very nice boat, but I may have something. Don't want to say what it is and jinx it.