Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2019, 06:50   #46

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Free Boats - Your Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
If you are struggling financially adding a boat is not going to help. You do not have to own a boat to sail.

So true. Much easier to crew on someone else's boat and learn on different boats.

Heck, I wish they had the internet and CF way back when I started sailing (think back to computer punch cards as cutting edge), I'd be using the crew listing here to sail all over the world and not own a boat.

Bill O.

Bill O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:38   #47

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Yeah, I built experience hanging out at yacht clubs and marinas, crewing in races/deliveries, chartering, taking classes, reading everything I could get my hands on...that evolved into working as an instructor/captain at the same places.

I had loads of experience on a wide range of boats before I bought my first mid-sized boat (37')...though I did buy a Hobie 16 to play & learn on before that...paid less than $1K for it.

Now, I turn down lots of sailing opportunities because I just dont have the time...I could sail all year long on other peoples boats (OPB) and get paid for much of it.

Bottom line is you do not need to own a boat to sail.

However, there are somethings which are harder to do on OPB...like take off cruising for several months with just your SO. Other than that or full time live aboard there is no good reason to own a boat.

belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 16:59   #48

Boat: Cal-40

Free boats...... my wife won’t let me take anymore of them because I already have three I’ve dragged up the beach in front of the house. But really they are good boats I just need to work on them a bit.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:34   #49

Boat: C&C 40 AC

I’d look for commonality in 3 or 4 free boats but with different issues and as important the good stuff. Find a disposal company up front, sequence the boats into a tear down location. Remove all you can to minimize new purchase items and scrap out the left overs. It’s like any project, it’s all in the planning,
ikebartlett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:35   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
I sold my boat - older Catalina 27 - for $1 and I felt I ripped the guy off.
Could you list the main reasons why?
ak08820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 15:23   #51
Marine Service Provider

According to you, the OP you wrote "To be honest, I was looking at a 2019 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 349 for $136,700 (starting at according to their website). Budget isn't really an issue. I was just asking the question if some of these are viable." Hmmm...not sure what to make of that or really how to help. On the one hand....free....on the other hand.... $136,700. So, which one is it? And you are apparently looking for free advice for free boats and halfway through write "To be honest..." which makes me (and some others I would bargain) a little hesitant to try and be helpful. What kind of answers would be helpful when you are looking for free, but also for $136,700? So you have already been steered to other threads where this has been discussed over and over so hopefully that has been helpful but I think it really boils down to the same reasons why anything else is expensive, low-priced or free. Yet when it comes to boats, romanticism and dreams and aesthetics enter into the equation but the answer really also depends upon who you are. What kind of tools and experience and time do you have to rebuild a worn out boat?
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 17:17   #52

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

I must say that bring back a "free" boat can be fun. I've been sailing my $2,000 boat now for 8 years.. I started sailing it about a month after I bought it.

It's a Bristol though so it cannot be compared to any old free boat.

I've been adding things a bit at a time. This year it's been a new outboard bracket, paint (topside, bottom, cockpit, and interior), new dodger, new mainsail cover, and today new halyards to replace my 15 year old halyards.

It makes such a difference with each new purchase

New boats are nice and I've had two, but with old boats, you get to see much more

One day soon, I'll paint the decks.....and maybe buy another new main and jib
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 22:24   #53

Boat: Volkscruiser

AKO8820 there are many reasons why a $1 boat is ripping someone off. I surveyed a 30’ “free” boat last year that ended up in a bidding war between two guys. The unlucky guy paid $4500 for that free boat. I did the survey on it, the decks were rotten on one side, same with the cabin, the interior had water damage from the leaking windows, the engine needed a few repairs, the cutlass bearing needed replacing, the stuffing box had come away from the hull, the cabin floor was rotten in places and the whole boat needs a paint. The unlucky new owner has already spent 10 weeks on the slip and will probably be there another 10 weeks. The poor guy is basically spending more than the boat is worth on materials and hard stand fees. Then to top it of if that high hour badly maintained motor dies on him then the whole projects really just a waste of time.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:35   #54

Boat: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

We've done or participated I. A couple such projects.

IF the boat is not rotten and IF you like boat repair THEN the project makes sense. We enjoy the work... after a fashion

Charter.... you can sail around the world 1 to 2 weeks at a time for very reasonable cost. You sail the 200k yacht without ow ing the 200k yacht.

Norm
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:36   #55

We've done or participated in a couple such projects.

IF the boat is not rotten and IF you like boat repair THEN the project makes sense. We enjoy the work... after a fashion

Charter.... you can sail around the world 1 to 2 weeks at a time for very reasonable cost. You sail the 200k yacht without ow ing the 200k yacht.

Norm
Old 11-02-2019, 04:48   #56

Boat: Volkscruiser

Norm what you say about chartering is the real truth in boat ownership. My marina and up keep costs for a 33 foot yacht costs as much as chartering for two weeks every year.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:34   #57

Yeah. Wife and I have a 33 footer too and same story. I am a charter captain and cruising instructor so I see it first hand.

Presently in BVI. It is just fine.

Back to work. Norm out.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:11   #58

I'm reading these comments with interest.

But I also wonder about how much a non-free boat costs? Ultimately, you end up replacing the standing and running rigging, the sails, and other parts as well, no?

I'd venture to say that most boats for sale have rigging (standing and running), electronics, and sails that are near their expiration date.

So you end up spending that money anyway, regardless of if the boat is older or newer.

At least with the free (or cheaper) boat, you know it up front.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:31   #59

Boat: Islander 32 MK2 #157/Pram 8 Marconi Rig

Got my wayfarer 24 for free, lived on it for 1.5 yrs, gave it away to an aspiring sailor when I left area.

Bought my dream boat project $3900 with initial idea I could relocate it easily where market would allow me to flip it for 3X what I had into it...I decided to keep it, in my mind it’s “The last boat” if all goes well, really like what I have so like a woman it’s a money means nothing issue, I enjoy living aboard her and she keeps me happy...

If you’re into boats and worried about investments on boats, be a boat broker not a boat owner...”Bring Out Abother Thousand” is my first thought to most boat projects/ideas...
Capt JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:29   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
But I also wonder about how much a non-free boat costs? Ultimately, you end up replacing the standing and running rigging, the sails, and other parts as well, no?

I'd venture to say that most boats for sale have rigging (standing and running), electronics, and sails that are near their expiration date.

So you end up spending that money anyway, regardless of if the boat is older or newer.
How long is a piece of string?

Say a given boat all fresh perfectly ready for RTW is "worth" $150K

Some people get very lucky and find such unicorns, pay a price well below (say 20%), and from then on only need to spend the usual 10-20K a year to keep her in that great condition.

More normally, not-so-well maintained but ready to sail examples are going for $30-100K, to get up to the above standard may need to spend a percentage of / a multiple of the purchase price, or maybe just muddle along spending say 20-40K in a given year to keep her "good enough" never getting to that pristine, so sometimes big ticket items needed.

Ok, now we get to "Free or almost", in this case could be $2K or even $20K.

Some people are so lucky (or spend so long looking) they may stumble on an example for that price in better shape than others were able to get for triple what they paid.

Maybe it needs $20+K spent just to be safe for weekend cruises.

Or maybe ready to head for Hawaii as is for those not too risk averse.

To get to the top cited Pristine condition maybe would cost more than the $100K it would end up being "worth".

All the above example numbers could be cut in half, maybe by 2/3rds, or they could be tripled or x10.

Which strategy will be most economical?

What is the money available?

What are the goals? Get out cruising in how many months or years?

Is time spent working on the boat a joy or a burden?

Are you also working for a living in the meantime?

How long is a piece of string?

There is no one single answer or even set of boundary conditions, that will apply generally to the OP question.

The answers will vary by each individuals' circumstances and preferences.

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, enc