Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2012, 04:50   #91

Boat: DeFever 44
Probably...I would not trade a 100 ft megaton boat for a life raft unless I was pretty sure it was going to sink.....
Old 29-10-2012, 05:07   #92
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Frankenstorm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
website says the pumps are unable to keep up with the water. Assuming that is true - she's a goner

and how many times did we read such a statement last season and the boat was found floating along fine a couple of months later?
Old 29-10-2012, 05:33   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
be safe--watch out for debris speeding down rivers at you--hudson will be bad--lots of woods to flow downstream from there, after it falls from wind or flood---
Ron White on Hurricanes and Idiots:

"There was a guy down in Florida who said that, at the age of 53 years old, he was in good enough physical condition to withstand the wind, rain and hail of a force-3 hurricane.
Now, let me explain somethin' to ya: it isn't that the wind is blowin', it's what the wind is blowin'.
If you get hit by a Volvo, it doesn't matter how many sit-ups you did that morning. If you have a "Yield" sign in your spleen, joggin' don't really come into play."

Old 29-10-2012, 05:36   #94

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
and how many times did we read such a statement last season and the boat was found floating along fine a couple of months later?
Two words - Salvage Rights!
Old 29-10-2012, 05:54   #95

Boat: Fountaine Pajot New 45 under contract...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo

The last hurricane or two were along the eastern seaboard were small events, and have lulled people into thinking this is a couple extra bottles of water and cheesewiz and go to work the next day. Millions of people will be without power, water and transportation for weeks, possibly months.

Don't underestimate the importance of / need for cheese whiz...
Old 29-10-2012, 07:01   #96

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dochueb

Don't underestimate the importance of / need for cheese whiz...
Talk show host Laura Ingram was behind someone in a grocery store yesterday that purchased a half gallon of ketchup. Lol. That should be good on what, in about 3 weeks?
Old 29-10-2012, 07:04   #97

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
ABC news radio reports at 9am central time the HMS Bounty sank. Reports two people still missing.
Old 29-10-2012, 07:05   #98

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

The same thing it's good on now. (Nothing).
Old 29-10-2012, 07:12   #99

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
This time it's not fine. The Bounty is gone!

Hope they are all safe.
Old 29-10-2012, 07:19   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Spent day on dock yesterday securing what we could.

What is palpably different about this storm is the cold. Not the warm humid air we usually get, though that may come later. Out this am to get coffee, here in Philly, glad to have a sweater under the rain jacket.

That don't feel right.

I think they just took down the Bounty web site.
Old 29-10-2012, 07:56   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
Posted a few videos to my blog of the marina. We are very well protected from N-NE-NW. Boats were still moving about quite a bit

Adventures of Salacia: Hurricane Sandy Day 2

New GoPro still figuring it out so cut me slack....
Is it customary in Va to help boats that need it or not? I'm thinking of the bimini and the vessel pinned against the dock..

In Texas we do that kind of thing, just curious as to what's the custom in Va. Many folks wouldn't think of touching another's vessel, me I've saved many a vessel from damage by adjusting a line or two.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 29-10-2012, 08:05   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Check this out, a member on Trawler Forum is going to ride out the storm at anchor:
Well this sucks! - Trawler Forum
On a DANFORTH no less! Hope the wind shift doesn't do to his Danforth's set what it ALWAYS did to mine, yank it out and let is skip across trying to reset...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 29-10-2012, 08:11   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Ron White on Hurricanes and Idiots:

"There was a guy down in Florida who said that, at the age of 53 years old, he was in good enough physical condition to withstand the wind, rain and hail of a force-3 hurricane.
Now, let me explain somethin' to ya: it isn't that the wind is blowin', it's what the wind is blowin'.
If you get hit by a Volvo, it doesn't matter how many sit-ups you did that morning. If you have a "Yield" sign in your spleen, joggin' don't really come into play."
When I was a kid in Corpus Christi we were playing in the street as hurricane Buella was blowing like stink. It was fun leaning over at a 45 with the wind holding us up. Then we heard a very very loud thud. Our 3 ' dia palm tree had a 2x4 thrust all the was though... Even 11 yo knew it was time to go inside!...To this day I always remember that event...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 29-10-2012, 08:49   #104

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Been to the Keys before, so I feel your pain.

Glad the storm sparred most people from damage in your area. Too bad that one guy was killed that was struck with his boom.

I purchased my 32 from someone in the path of this storm, southwest of DC. He is scheduled for neck surgery about now.
Thanks, and there were at least two craft that we heard on the VHF sink. one was a 42' white fishing vessel off Key west, their Epirb went off after losing contact with the CG, we heard for most the day the CG hailing anyone out there to keep a look out. What the details are regarding why they found no one with an epirb activating I am not sure, another was a Sailing vessel that called in a mayday early on and after 10 minutes lost all communication. I can tell you that we were within a mile or so of land heading east and saw gusts Sat as high as 35knots, seas inside the reef were 2-4' I cannot imagine being outside the reef. We had a double reef in the main most of the day and peaked 10.1 kts SOG. We only witnessed one other boat on the water a large Lagoon Cat that found shelter with us in Long Key for the night. Sunday was beautiful!.
Old 29-10-2012, 09:21   #105

Boat: Ohlson 38

Here's a mind blowing, time lapse video showcasing the enormity of the gyre.

Closed Thread