Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2012, 21:14   #76

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Frankenstorm!

Quote:
I'm just hoping my boat will be floating somewhere in the harbor and not on the shore
I hope so too. I was in a similar position last night.
Old 29-10-2012, 00:40   #77

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
Some talking head on network news just interviewed some hurricane expert from the center in Florida and asked him " what is the worst case scenario for NJ And NY. The guy looked at the network "star" and said dryly......"this is the worst case scenario"

Duh

Dave
Old 29-10-2012, 02:29   #78

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
We were stuck an extra few days in Key west and have to leave our boat in Key Largo for a few more weeks.

And you think you NE guys have it tough.....
Old 29-10-2012, 02:29   #79
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
You could just turn the TV off ... just saying.

I don't think TV is evil and I also don't think they're exaggerating the damage this storm is going to bring. True story -- my first husband (we're going back before Troy was sacked, mind you ... ) was LITERALLY a closet TV watcher. He watched TV, but he wanted to give the impression he did not, so he put our TV IN A CLOSET so he could shut the door on it when friends were over.

They are sandbagging Battery Park in NYC and evacuating people from the lower areas of Manhattan according to my daughter and her friends in NYC (I don't think Facebook is evil, either). This storm is going to be more fierce once it becomes extra-tropical; it's spread out over a huge area, and color enhancement doesn't exaggerates but simply makes features (such as where the dry vs. moist air is) more accessible to people who don't have advanced degrees in meteorology. But having been born in CT and living in NJ until I was ten -- and then S. Florida -- I grew up around Nor-easters and hurricanes, and I get what they're saying. I've seen Jim Cantori standing in his windbreaker as nothing goes on, but this time ... they're gonna have a real mess in their hands.

My daughter and their SO are not in an evacuation zone.
Old 29-10-2012, 02:41   #80

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos
We were stuck an extra few days in Key west and have to leave our boat in Key Largo for a few more weeks.

And you think you NE guys have it tough.....

Been to the Keys before, so I feel your pain.

Glad the storm sparred most people from damage in your area. Too bad that one guy was killed that was struck with his boom.

I purchased my 32 from someone in the path of this storm, southwest of DC. He is scheduled for neck surgery about now.
Old 29-10-2012, 03:24   #81
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R

Check this out, a member on Trawler Forum is going to ride out the storm at anchor:
Well this sucks! - Trawler Forum
Old 29-10-2012, 04:03   #82

Meteorologists calling for possible largest storm surge ever recorded for East River NYC area with winds at 80 mpg possibly lasting 48 hours!

Storm meeting coldfront could stall and intensify storm over NYC.

National Weather Service says if they are wrong, call Friday and complain.

NYSE closing Monday, Tuesday? And possibly longer.

The last hurricane or two were along the eastern seaboard were small events, and have lulled people into thinking this is a couple extra bottles of water and cheesewiz and go to work the next day. Millions of people will be without power, water and transportation for weeks, possibly months.

GET OUT ! DONT WALK, RUN !

Some areas inland have blizzard warnings with as much as 8 feet of snow.

This storm is forecast to do damage 400 miles inland.
Old 29-10-2012, 04:15   #83

All hands of HMS Bounty have abandoned ship. USCG rescue underway 90 nm south of Cape Hatteras.

Coast Guard rescue underway off Hatteras | 9 On Your Side

What that half a walnut shell was doing out there...someone will have some 'splaining to do. Loss of ticket?
Old 29-10-2012, 04:16   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R
Check this out, a member on Trawler Forum is going to ride out the storm at anchor:
Well this sucks! - Trawler Forum
That guy is foolish at best. It does not matter that he has his boat well tied down, if in fact the Royal Navy could tie down a ship in a blow like this. What they cannot plan for are the tons of debris that will be coming at their sailboat at 80 mph. It will be like fastening your seatbelts for a train collision. Some member of that forum tell that guy to abandon ship and get to safety. No property is worth human life.
Old 29-10-2012, 04:18   #85

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31

Not to bad in the richmond area here in Virginia, at least not yet....Norfolk and Hampton are flooded I believe....
Old 29-10-2012, 04:22   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5
All hands of HMS Bounty have abandoned ship. USCG rescue underway 90 nm south of Cape Hatteras.

Coast Guard rescue underway off Hatteras | 9 On Your Side
She is for sale at 4.9 million dollars.

I wonder if she might be on sale about now?

Good the crew is safe.
Old 29-10-2012, 04:24   #87

I've gotten word there are truckloads of fine Spruce and Pine from the PNW eastbound and down.
Old 29-10-2012, 04:28   #88

Boat: DeFever 44
Below is from the Bounty website forum......why would they put to sea into the face of this storm?

----------

Bounty spent this past weekend in New London, CT. and left yesterday to head south to St Petersburg, Fla. We had a great time during our stay and spent time with some of the U.S. Navy on the ship. While we were there this week we took out the crew of the USS Mississippi for a sailing lesson. They were part of our crew climbing the rigging and furling sails. It was great! Thank you for joining us.

Bounty is 100 miles off shore and is running 8.6 knots on a course south by west. First heading due East to avoid the brunt of the storm. We have the best Captain to ever sail the 7 seas! We will keep you posted of her progress. God speed and may the winds be fairer than expected.
Old 29-10-2012, 04:40   #89

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Great everyone is ok physically, i bet there was some heartbreak to abandon such a vessel.

I gather it hasn't actually sunk yet, is it a given that it will?
Old 29-10-2012, 04:48   #90

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

website says the pumps are unable to keep up with the water. Assuming that is true - she's a goner

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Closed Thread