Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2012, 05:50   #46
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Frankenstorm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
How many of you are staying on your boat? Not what I would recommend- you can always get a new boat...

It all depends on what part of the storm you're going to get. I stayed on my boat for Debby and would have for Isaac except that I was sick, and the tides with Debby were high enough that I actually couldn't get off the boat sometimes. Not a good idea when sick. I would have no problem staying on the boat if we were just going to get the fringes, esp. with a risk of high tides. As he said, you can adjust lines and ease things for your boat.

But if I were in the direct path of a hurricane, no way would I stay.

If an evacuation were ordered, even if just for trailers, I'd be out of here.

I say that as I sit here with many muscles aching and my ankle strapped up, slightly injured as I tried to get off my boat in winds from Sandy. We still have wind today but it's not as strong.

No way would I have spent the passage of that storm on my friend's boat in Miami (even if it were my boat). They had a LOT of wind and a LOT of very rough water. So far the word is that no boats broke free in this storm (about five did in Isaac). I can picture several scenarios where it might be pretty dangerous to be on one boat when another hit you in a storm. It's all a judgment call and how high you think your personal threat is.
Old 28-10-2012, 05:50   #47

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
We're staying on the boat.
We managed to miss Ernesto by getting out of the Cayman Islands, and the next one, forget the name, by getting out of Key West, but it looks like we're going to cop this one big time.

We're at the top end of the Chesapeake, on the Sassafras River.
Our location is quite well protected by land masses on 3 sides.
We only have 3 feet of water under the keel, so unlikely to sink very far. From what we hear we shouldn't have any problems with waves or surges.

So, my main reason for staying is to pay lines out or take them in when abnormally high or low tides become an issue, and to keep an eye out for chaffing.

I've got double lines on 4 pylons, removed all loose stuff from the deck, lashed everything down, rope laced the outside of the stackpacks, topped up water tanks, bought 3 weeks diesel for the genny, have enough propane for 2 months, bought in groceries, and Sandy loaded up on comfort food.... yeah, can you believe it? This week I'll have TWO Sandies on board to contend with!

I guess we're as ready as we can be.

Vic
Take care. Isobel did a major job on the Sassafras a few years ago. Put the bridge out of commission.
Old 28-10-2012, 06:39   #48

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Thanks for all the good wishes and helpful tips.
CF is a very special community

There is actually a marker on the bank about 150' from us showing where Isobel came to. Scary stuff. But the tops of our pylons are 4-5' higher so it will have to be pretty drastic to lose our lines over the top.

We have 6 fenders against the floating dock, and no boats around that would pose a threat of running into us.

And to think when Sandy and I planned to get a boat and go cruising, we were so sure we'd be smart enough to be well clear of hurricane/cyclone areas and seasons...
Found this captain's hat in the boat. How do I look...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 28-10-2012, 06:41   #49

My mooring rig includes a bow eye with very robust carabine hook and a second slack security line led to a bow cleat. The bow line is the working line and it is 1" braid on braid with a heavy rubber mooring compensator to absorb shock loads. No chaff with the working bow eye which is below the anchor. If one of the components or the bow eye fail then the slack security line which is 15 feet longer takes over but it is secured to a bow cleat and subject to chaff at the chock and the rub rail and stem fitting as the boat shears about. It has a fire hose chaff protection and the line is now chaff protected at the chock.

Chaff is the enemy of the sailor. I don't expect the deck cleat to pull out but the likely failure would be chafe. We'll see.
Old 28-10-2012, 07:09   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
How many of you are staying on your boat? Not what I would recommend- you can always get a new boat...
Trying to figure that out right now. I've got a dentist appointment in the morning but, the winds are 20 to 25 knots right now but, are supposed to subside to 10 to 15 later this morning. Thats when I was thinking of heading to shore when they do. Still waiting. In the meantime:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: HURRICANE SANDY: The Good News and the Bad News
Boat is laying well at the mooring in the 20 to 25 knots we are having this morning. Though tomorrow will be the big blow. Fingers are crossed.
Old 28-10-2012, 08:39   #51

Boat: Fountaine Pajot New 45 under contract...
All battened down here...in Nebraska. 8-)

Kinda glad our new Hélia won't be delivered to Annapolis until next spring.

Good luck & stay safe, everyone!!

DH
Old 28-10-2012, 08:42   #52

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Staying in our slip in West River, MD. got the boat stocked to go south. As soon as Sandy clears out we are mobile. So far just a bit of wind and a hunter moon tide.
Old 28-10-2012, 08:59   #53

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames

You are very lucky and this serves as a warning to all of us, young or old.
A couple weeks ago my renter 71 years old in great condition was found dead of a slip and fall in the bath tub. He was living alone and laid there for 5 days in the tub when he was discovered by the manager. There is alot of bleeding from head injuries, I can assure you. Be careful everyone, because your head is not as hard as you think. Slip and falls can be deadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
As predicted, Sandy has recently been upgraded back up to hurricane status.

Here's one injury from Sandy that won't be recorded in the statistics. Yesterday I was stepping off my boat in gusty north winds. My boat is on the south side of the finger pier. An unexpected gust hit the side of my boat just as I stepped off, and I barely made contact with the dock before my foot slipped into thin air. Fortunately I had a good grip on a handhold on the dock and a line on my boat. I ended up hanging over the side of the boat holding on to those things, with one leg lying across the deck and one dangling in the water.

Fortunately a couple of people heard my shouts of help. They got the breast line under one foot so I could push myself up, and with help I was able to park my bottom on the finger dock. But I dangled for a while first.

I was very lucky. I could have hit my head on the finger dock and slipped into the water without anyone ever knowing it. How often have I told people that getting on and off is the most dangerous part and to focus only on what you are doing, but I was distracted by the demands of moving and didn't follow my own advice. If I had been focused on what I was doing, I would have loosened my starboard bow lines so the bow could move closer to the dock. I've done that many times before in a strong north wind, but not yesterday.

I have a sprained ankle and a lot of pulled, sore muscles (and a supply of muscle relaxants) and a few bruises -- much better off than Newt! -- and a valuable reminder about what I already knew.

I'm too stiff and sore today to attempt getting off the boat but this is small potatoes. I was lucky. Be careful out there!
Old 28-10-2012, 09:54   #54

Boat: Ohlson 38

Here is a link to live feed CCTV . I've been watching the video feed from Chesapeake Beach which is a very short distance from my boat. Not much happening yet.

Deale, MD Weather Cameras - WeatherBug.com
Old 28-10-2012, 13:01   #55

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Looks like flooding is gonna be a real issue soon. I was down at the marina about an hour again and water was about to come over the retaining wall
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Old 28-10-2012, 13:12   #56
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

beware of debris floating at you very rapidly on the runoff waters--can be very dangerous...chessy and hudson and all the estuaries have this problem. be aware of what is upstream from you.
Old 28-10-2012, 13:27   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
But the tops of our pylons are 4-5' higher so it will have to be pretty drastic to lose our lines over the top.
Current forecast for the surge in the bay is 4'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mdann.gif
Views:	303
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	48915

But in NY its going to be major - 12'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	njsand.gif
Views:	313
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	48916
Old 28-10-2012, 14:07   #58

Boat: Allures 44

Those heights are based on MLW, so really about a 6 ft surge above normal high tide at Sandy Hook / New York Harbor.
Old 28-10-2012, 14:11   #59

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Yeah, I'd close the subways and turn off the 9/11 memorial water feature with that forecast, too.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 28-10-2012, 14:40   #60

And when it's all over there will be tons of logs and all manner of stuff floated out to sea from rivers... Be careful when navigating AFTER a major blow and surge event.
Closed Thread