Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 01:34   #241

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Frankenstorm!

Current predictions for the noreaster coming in are saying 3-5 feet of water ABOVE highest astronomical tide. Since most of the levees/dams on Jersey's coast have gone bye-bye, this will mean a hell of a lot of water coming in. Since the weather is coming from North east, it appears that NY will be spared.

Good luck to all of you

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 05-11-2012, 02:53   #242
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I have a friend that is still hurting from Katrina.

Imagine if Sandy had been a Katrina or an Andrew!

Imagine if Katrina had been Cat 5 instead of Cat 3 when she actually came in ...
Old 05-11-2012, 03:43   #243

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
No recorded storm in the history of mankind, that I am aware of, has ever shaken the financial center of the world like Sandy has. From a playground of the rich, in New Jersey, to the financial center of the world, the home of 8 million people, to the capitol of The United States.

Now the East Coast braces for round two, a close following winter storm. At least Katrina victims did not have to worry about freezing to death. As this second storm hits, hundreds of thousands of people are without power from Sandy. Not good.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:23   #244

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

People, I have to say, this is one of the more idiotic fights I've seen on CF (and that's saying something!) -- Katrina vs. Sandy -- which one was more stupendously horrific? Can we all just agree that both of these storms were really horrible disasters?

Meanwhile, if somebody really just wants a brawl, there are much more intelligent subjects -- Rocna versus Manson, catamarans versus monos, maybe catamarans versus Rocnas . . .

Please keep the discussion polite, respectful, and civil. We are getting tired of cleaning up the thread.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:24   #245

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb
Current predictions for the noreaster coming in are saying 3-5 feet of water ABOVE highest astronomical tide. Since most of the levees/dams on Jersey's coast have gone bye-bye, this will mean a hell of a lot of water coming in. Since the weather is coming from North east, it appears that NY will be spared.

Good luck to all of you
When it rains, it poors.

People are more important than sailboats, I know, however, the photographs of litterly thousands of crumpled sailboats huddled together, left high and dry, haunt our souls. Now these sailboats are going to receive even more damage from the rains, and in some cases, snow. People will have a difficult time in the next weeks and months reclaiming their properties and moving them to docks (many of which are gone) or dry docks, for repairs.

Any CM 32 owners needing help, let me know, I may have some spare parts you need. N.C.

I would also encourage others to donate.needed sailboat parts to forum members needing help getting their sailboats returned to the water. Sometimes there are gaps in insurance coverage.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:46   #246
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I'd say they are little more than whispers. Here is the latest Special Weather Statement for my area tonight:

"LOW TEMPERATURES MONDAY NIGHT ARE EXPECTED TO FALL INTO THE 20S.
THOSE WITHOUT POWER SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR ANOTHER COLD NIGHT.

A SIGNIFICANT COASTAL STORM WILL LIKELY IMPACT THE TRI-STATE
REGION WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY. CONFIDENCE CONTINUES TO INCREASE
THAT STRONG GUSTY WINDS...RAIN/WINTRY PRECIPITATION...COASTAL
FLOODING AND ADDITIONAL BEACH EROSION WILL RESULT FROM THIS
SYSTEM. STAY TUNED FOR THE LATEST FORECASTS."

I'd say it's time to end the season for me. I was lucky and found my boat floating with only minor damage after Sandy. Since my boatyard is getting ansty to pull the boat I'll oblige them. The docks here have taken a beating and who knows how well they will hold up in another Nor' easter. I've taken off the sails and dropped the boom literally on the deck. Just waiting for the stick and boat to be pulled. I'll sleep easier even if it is in a house with no power.
The day after the great Halifax munitions ship explosion they were hit with a near record blizzard. Relief trains got stuck in the snow and had to shovel their way through.

Just goes that way sometimes.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:57   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Yes. I don't understand the the flap is about.
Count me as one who doesn't understand your tenacity. The facts are the facts. Sandy, whether a Cat 1 or extra-tropical, continued as a named storm. No, "Frankenstorm" doesn't count as "named".

The facts are that severe damage was done to a widespread area. This includes those areas where techinally a storm, whether a hurricane or not, had suffered damage which resulted in extreme hardship.

So, other than semantics, what the heck is this flap about? Rakuflames, this is directed precisely at you.

Yes, I understand that the NWS doesn't deal in semantics. I had previously commented on that the NWS regrets the error in downgrading this from hurricance status. This has nothing to do with the seeming debate of which categorization of hurricanes is antiquated.

The convergence of astronomical conditions (full moon) and artic cold front (jet stream) and extra-tropical with a N Atlantic high (blocking from the NE) resulted in widespread damage severe enough to displace hundreds of thousands from their homes and to wreck infrastructure sufficient to render a complete stop to markets which affect nation-wide, in some cases world-wide, markets.

Bottom line, what, exactly, is your point on whether Sandy, a named storm, retained hurricane status upon landfall?
Old 05-11-2012, 05:07   #248

[QUOTE=GaryMayo;1076799]When it rains, it poors.

Any CM 32 owners needing help, let me know, I may have some spare parts you need. N.C.

I would also encourage others to donate.QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

Just goes that way sometimes.
Yes! 1st of all: Gary, that is very kind of you. People are hurting, the media is not fully reporting on that. It is worse than it seems if relying on news reporting.

Yes, it does go that way sometimes. Yes, when it rains it pours. Basically, it is better to have and not need than need and not have. People in the affected areas need to be prepared for freezing conditions. Do not rely on help coming your way in sufficiency or time.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:13   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
No recorded storm in the history of mankind, that I am aware of, has ever shaken the financial center of the world like Sandy has. From a playground of the rich, in New Jersey, to the financial center of the world, the home of 8 million people, to the capitol of The United States.

Now the East Coast braces for round two, a close following winter storm. At least Katrina victims did not have to worry about freezing to death. As this second storm hits, hundreds of thousands of people are without power from Sandy. Not good.
Since you mention the "playground of the rich" I wonder if perhaps, at least to some degree, this isn't influenced by the devisiveness we see in these days.

Folks, it doesn't matter one's fiscal status, people are in dire need. Not good, indeed.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:21   #250
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
People, I have to say, this is one of the more idiotic fights I've seen on CF (and that's saying something!) -- Katrina vs. Sandy -- which one was more stupendously horrific? Can we all just agree that both of these storms were really horrible disasters?

Meanwhile, if somebody really just wants a brawl, there are much more intelligent subjects -- Rocna versus Manson, catamarans versus monos, maybe catamarans versus Rocnas . . .

Please keep the discussion polite, respectful, and civil. We are getting tired of cleaning up the thread.

We graciously appreciate your leaving Hunters off that list!
Old 05-11-2012, 05:22   #251
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
When it rains, it poors.

People are more important than sailboats, I know, however, the photographs of litterly thousands of crumpled sailboats huddled together, left high and dry, haunt our souls. Now these sailboats are going to receive even more damage from the rains, and in some cases, snow. People will have a difficult time in the next weeks and months reclaiming their properties and moving them to docks (many of which are gone) or dry docks, for repairs.

I would also encourage others to donate.needed sailboat parts to forum members needing help getting their sailboats returned to the water. Sometimes there are gaps in insurance coverage.

That's a really great idea.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:23   #252
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Count me as one who doesn't understand your tenacity. The facts are the facts. Sandy, whether a Cat 1 or extra-tropical, continued as a named storm. No, "Frankenstorm" doesn't count as "named".

The facts are that severe damage was done to a widespread area. This includes those areas where techinally a storm, whether a hurricane or not, had suffered damage which resulted in extreme hardship.

So, other than semantics, what the heck is this flap about? Rakuflames, this is directed precisely at you.

Yes, I understand that the NWS doesn't deal in semantics. I had previously commented on that the NWS regrets the error in downgrading this from hurricance status. This has nothing to do with the seeming debate of which categorization of hurricanes is antiquated.

The convergence of astronomical conditions (full moon) and artic cold front (jet stream) and extra-tropical with a N Atlantic high (blocking from the NE) resulted in widespread damage severe enough to displace hundreds of thousands from their homes and to wreck infrastructure sufficient to render a complete stop to markets which affect nation-wide, in some cases world-wide, markets.

Bottom line, what, exactly, is your point on whether Sandy, a named storm, retained hurricane status upon landfall?
Hopefully by now you've read to the end of the thread and realize that the discussion is dead.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:15   #253

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

As no new real information is being exchanged, and the thread has degraded into some rather childish behavior, it has run its course and is now closed.