Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2012, 09:09   #166
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,949
Re: Frankenstorm!

Quote:
Capt. Mike
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG
How did you make out?
__________________

__________________
Kettlewell Cruising
Kettlewell is offline  
Old 30-10-2012, 09:10   #167
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 7,930
Re: Frankenstorm!

Has anyone heard from Vic? Hey Vic, how are you guys?
__________________

__________________
DeepFrz is online now  
Old 30-10-2012, 09:11   #168
Senior Cruiser
 
Opie91's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CT
Boat: C&C 34
Posts: 811
Re: Frankenstorm!

Here are some pics from this morning in Groton, CT.

My boat did fine, no damage. However the blocks washed out from under my keel and the boat is sitting in the stands. Seems solid for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0851.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	49010   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0852.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	49011  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0853.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	49012   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0866.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	49013  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0873.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	49014  
__________________
Opie91 is offline  
Old 30-10-2012, 09:16   #169
Registered User
 
S/V Alchemy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Posts: 4,576
Re: Frankenstorm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Disturbing how the HMAS Bounty replica has sank with the lives of the Captain and maybe one crew? I have been following them on Facebook. It is a terrible loss.
The weird part is that the recovered female crew who later died ashore is described as a direct descendant of Fletcher Christian.

Some coincidences seem more meaningful than others.
__________________
Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline  
Old 30-10-2012, 09:21   #170
Registered User
 
Cotemar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo
Posts: 5,717
Re: Frankenstorm!

Do not know at this point in time. All roads are still blocked by downed trees most of the power is still out. Everyone is just starting to dig out and see the damage.
__________________
Cotemar is offline  
Old 30-10-2012, 09:31   #171
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: Frankenstorm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
Here are some pics from this morning in Groton, CT.

My boat did fine, no damage. However the blocks washed out from under my keel and the boat is sitting in the stands. Seems solid for now.
you need to get some chocks in under soon as possable
as the stands will cause dents in the hull if she is glass
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline  
Old 30-10-2012, 09:39   #172
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Holland, France
Boat: 33ft sloop
Posts: 1,091
Images: 5
Re: Frankenstorm!

We do read a lot overhere, but has it started yet or not. We have had many storms this summer, I was hooked up in a shifter that took my 5000 kgs wandering. Happened on the IJsselmeer.
People say it is HAARP provoked. Who tells?
__________________
MacG is offline  
Old 30-10-2012, 09:55   #173
Registered User
 
GeoPowers's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulfport, MS
Boat: Beneteau 393
Posts: 947
Images: 27
Re: Frankenstorm!

We weathered the storm on board at Herrington Harbour South. Minimal to no damage to any of the boats that we can see. Winds were less than Irene but for longer duration. Last hurtle is this afternoon's high tide at 5:13- water is already high with the southerly winds. Water will probably go just over the docks but not by much.

All said it could have been much worse here.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline  
Old 30-10-2012, 10:06   #174
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: Frankenstorm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Has anyone heard from Vic? Hey Vic, how are you guys?
they were fine at 6am edt this morning apart from a few deck leaks,winds down to sw 15 knots now,
so my guess is they have gone to bed with a bottle of rum!
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline  
Old 30-10-2012, 10:24   #175
Senior Cruiser
 
Roy M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southwestern Yacht Club, San Diego, CA
Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Posts: 3,042
Images: 4
Re: Frankenstorm!

What a cool community this is.
__________________
Roy M is offline  
Old 30-10-2012, 10:44   #176
Senior Cruiser
 
Opie91's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CT
Boat: C&C 34
Posts: 811
Re: Frankenstorm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you need to get some chocks in under soon as possable
as the stands will cause dents in the hull if she is glass
The Marina will not let us near the boat. I suspect they have higher priorities right now. Hopefully they will get it done today.
__________________
Opie91 is offline  
Old 30-10-2012, 10:45   #177
Registered User
 
Deck Scrubber's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lake Macquarie Australia.
Boat: CT 54
Posts: 77
Re: Frankenstorm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
they were fine at 6am edt this morning apart from a few deck leaks,winds down to sw 15 knots now,
so my guess is they have gone to bed with a bottle of rum!
Man we forgot the Rum, now I know why we didn't get enough sleep.
__________________
Deck Scrubber is offline  
Old 30-10-2012, 10:46   #178
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Re: Frankenstorm!

We're doing just fine!
It looks like it's all over. We have an extremely high tide right now so can't leave the boat because the dock bridge is under water. We had a bit of chafe on one of the forward lines but nothing major.
Worst problem was a new leak over our berth. Fixed it with some 3 am plumbing.... tape and dowel for it to track along, into a pot!

My current problem is the genny died soon after starting up this morning.

The raw water filter was full of crap, which is hardly surprising. We cleaned it out, started up again, temp came down slowly but climbed again as soon as I put load on. I'm letting it cool for a few hours. In the mean time I'll check coolant, v belts etc. If they're all ok it will probably be the impeller. I've got spares.

Don't you just love boats???

Vic and (Sandy) (not smart to say her name too loudly at the moment!)
__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline  
Old 30-10-2012, 10:46   #179
Senior Cruiser
 
Opie91's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CT
Boat: C&C 34
Posts: 811
Re: Frankenstorm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Do not know at this point in time. All roads are still blocked by downed trees most of the power is still out. Everyone is just starting to dig out and see the damage.
Did you hear anything from the Marina your boat is at?
__________________
Opie91 is offline  
Old 30-10-2012, 11:04   #180
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,772
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Frankenstorm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
We're doing just fine!
It looks like it's all over. We have an extremely high tide right now so can't leave the boat because the dock bridge is under water. We had a bit of chafe on one of the forward lines but nothing major.
Worst problem was a new leak over our berth. Fixed it with some 3 am plumbing.... tape and dowel for it to track along, into a pot!

My current problem is the genny died soon after starting up this morning.

The raw water filter was full of crap, which is hardly surprising. We cleaned it out, started up again, temp came down slowly but climbed again as soon as I put load on. I'm letting it cool for a few hours. In the mean time I'll check coolant, v belts etc. If they're all ok it will probably be the impeller. I've got spares.

Don't you just love boats???

Vic and (Sandy) (not smart to say her name too loudly at the moment!)
best fix your genny.......
glad you are ok and all is well.
__________________

zeehag is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:10.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.