Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2017, 05:33   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 96
Foundation for long term storage

My boat (Brewer 42) is on the hard and it looks like its going to be there for a good long time. I'm considering having it moved to my house to save on storage fees and make it easier to work on.

What sort of preparation of the ground will I need to do to handle the weight (approx 18,000 lbs). I'm not so much worried about directly under it since the weigh will be distributed on blocks but a boat stand sinking could be disastrous.

Thanks.
__________________

SeaSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 03:19   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 32,675
Images: 240
Re: Foundation for long term storage

Good question.
Brownell recommends using a small piece of plywood beneath each leg to prevent the leg from sinking, if the ground is loose in any way.
Proper Use | Brownell Boat Stands, Inc.
__________________

__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 05:39   #3
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,191
Images: 6
Re: Foundation for long term storage

How long is "a good long time"? If you're talking several years, it might be worthwhile to pour some concrete pads.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 05:50   #4
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Posts: 869
Images: 2
Re: Foundation for long term storage

Instead of plywood (rots) maybe small patio tiles? I went to look at a boat a few years ago that had been nicely blocked in someones gravel driveway. You could tell it had been there a while. The stand had sunk into the ground far enough for the horizontal bracing at the base to be completely buried in the ground!!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 05:57   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fiji Airways/ Lake Ontario
Boat: Want a B430!
Posts: 1,049
Images: 5
Re: Foundation for long term storage

Use 3/4" pressure treated plywood, or better use marine grade.

Also chain the stands together under the hull.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 08:13   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
Minggat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indonesia
Boat: Islander 36
Posts: 1,247
Re: Foundation for long term storage

On your own land for long term? I'd consider digging a trench for your keel and lining it with at least cinder blocks, with wood for the contact points. Life would be easier for a couple of big reasons.
__________________
Minggat
Minggat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 02:42   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 96
Re: Foundation for long term storage

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. "Good long time" means at least a year probably 3 or 4 (or more considering how well my other boat plans have worked out). If I'm going to pay the expense of moving it I'm going to take advantage of the proximity to get a lot of things repaired.

I don't think I will be able to start with concrete pads since I won't know the exact position of the stands before getting the boat on-site. But I like that idea and could pour those later. This reminds me that I will need an extra stand so I can move them around.

I was thinking I would put down a good gravel base under the boat as well to keep from slogging in the mud when working on the hull.

I also think I will need to build some real steps. If I'm going to be in and out of it I'm going to get tired of slogging up a ladder every time.

I'll have other questions about long term storage as it relates to other systems but I'll ask those in other threads if I don't see other threads about them already.

Thanks again.
SeaSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 07:24   #8
Registered User
 
SV Siren's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Allegan, Mi
Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Posts: 292
Re: Foundation for long term storage

How will you get it to the house? A self unloading hydraulic trailer will need more than just a few boards beneath the keel, or if you are having a crane unload then you can go with what was suggested. If you will be using a hydraulic, then you will need 4-6 8x8's, a few 4x4's and a couple of 2x4's in 2' lengths or so, to build up some height under the keel to be able to unload the trailer and have enough clearance to remove the I-beams that would be supporting the keel. I put some scrap marine ply beneath the keel supports.

My hauler also suggested using 2x6 pads beneath each corner of the stands to help spread the weight and to support the stands. Each one should be 18" or so in length, although I made mine around 1' or so, and it seems to be fine so far after 6 months.

I apologize for the picture, its the best one I have of the bedding and supports.
__________________
Fair winds from the crew of the S/V Siren.
SV Siren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 07:45   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 96
Re: Foundation for long term storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
How will you get it to the house? A self unloading hydraulic trailer will need more than just a few boards beneath the keel, or if you are having a crane unload then you can go with what was suggested. If you will be using a hydraulic, then you will need 4-6 8x8's, a few 4x4's and a couple of 2x4's in 2' lengths or so, to build up some height under the keel to be able to unload the trailer and have enough clearance to remove the I-beams that would be supporting the keel. I put some scrap marine ply beneath the keel supports.

My hauler also suggested using 2x6 pads beneath each corner of the stands to help spread the weight and to support the stands. Each one should be 18" or so in length, although I made mine around 1' or so, and it seems to be fine so far after 6 months.

I apologize for the picture, its the best one I have of the bedding and supports.

I'm going to rely on the advice of the hauler. He uses a self loading trailer that doesn't require a travel lift. I'm also assuming I need a location that he can back the trailer into. Again I'm going to see what the hauler says as we go. I was intending to block it like the boat yard has but the hauler may say otherwise for that as well. We'll see. Thanks for the picture and the advice.

If you have a chance could you snap a pick of your keel blocks. No worries if you can't off course. Thanks.
SeaSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 08:01   #10
Registered User
 
pesarsten's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St Pete
Boat: Sabre 34
Posts: 518
Re: Foundation for long term storage

Land cruiser , is that a Rhodes design?
__________________
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
pesarsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 09:24   #11
Registered User
 
SV Siren's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Allegan, Mi
Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Posts: 292
Re: Foundation for long term storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
Land cruiser , is that a Rhodes design?
Close, good guess. It is from the same period, but a Columbia Yachts Bill Tripp Sr. design, circa 1960's. Mine is a '68 build hull #34 +/- 1.
__________________
Fair winds from the crew of the S/V Siren.
SV Siren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 09:28   #12
Registered User
 
SV Siren's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Allegan, Mi
Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Posts: 292
Re: Foundation for long term storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSloth View Post
I'm going to rely on the advice of the hauler. He uses a self loading trailer that doesn't require a travel lift. I'm also assuming I need a location that he can back the trailer into. Again I'm going to see what the hauler says as we go. I was intending to block it like the boat yard has but the hauler may say otherwise for that as well. We'll see. Thanks for the picture and the advice.

If you have a chance could you snap a pick of your keel blocks. No worries if you can't off course. Thanks.
Sloth, I will post a better picture, later today...right now I just don't have the time...

Another thing to consider...boat stands. The marinas I talked to would not rent them offsite, and my only option was to purchase. Luckily the transport company I hired to move my boat was selling used ones, and I bought 8 of them. I figured it would be a good investment, as I will recoup my rental charges in 3 years once I am back at the boatyard, plus I will own them. Look at what your yard is using now, and look for them used, or new if you must. Brunell sells some great stands and poppits.
__________________
Fair winds from the crew of the S/V Siren.
SV Siren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 10:36   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 96
Re: Foundation for long term storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
Sloth, I will post a better picture, later today...right now I just don't have the time...

Another thing to consider...boat stands. The marinas I talked to would not rent them offsite, and my only option was to purchase. Luckily the transport company I hired to move my boat was selling used ones, and I bought 8 of them. I figured it would be a good investment, as I will recoup my rental charges in 3 years once I am back at the boatyard, plus I will own them. Look at what your yard is using now, and look for them used, or new if you must. Brunell sells some great stands and poppits.
Thanks for doing that. When I started planning this I knew I would need some boat stands but didn't even think about the cost involved. I didn't think they would cost as much as they do. I'm looking for some used ones but even if I have to buy new I'll recoup that in about six months from not paying for yard storage. I may hit several of the yards close by and see if they have some old ones for sale.
SeaSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 10:36   #14
Registered User
 
Scot McPherson's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Shoreline, CT and Portmouth Harbor
Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner
Posts: 631
Re: Foundation for long term storage

the poppits shouldn't be supporting any real weight, they should only be tightened enough to hold the boat upright. The weight should be on the keel only. Then the poppits should be chained together underneath so that any shifting is held back by the opposing poppit.


regular plywood, marine or otherwise will rot on the ground...the soil will reclaim the wood no matter what. You need a hardwood plank or hardwood ply underneath that will last longer than soft woods...Pine will be dirt in 3 years. there might be some structure left, but all the lignon will be gone and replaced by punk from the microbial activity.


Marine plywood is good for staying together in salt water, not for staying wet on the bare ground.
__________________
Captain Scot, 100 Ton Master, w/Sailing and Towing
Daring Kids to be Exceptional
http://americanseafarers.us
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 19:47   #15
Registered User
 
flyingfin's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Cape Haze,FL
Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra
Posts: 292
Re: Foundation for long term storage

Three options:
a) Make some concrete pads with re-bar, min 6" thick
b) Buy some steel plate, check with road contractors or scrap yards
c) Wood sleepers - buy some RR ties, cut into thirds, bury partially into the soil, then place 2x or 3x rough sawn lumber on top to make smooth surface for the stand
Check all regularly and spray any wood for ants/termites.
__________________

flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
storage

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: SSCA & CG Foundation Pennants Tragnar Boats For Sale and Wanted 0 01-03-2017 09:27
Long term sailboat storage near Long Island Sound Joe500 General Sailing Forum 3 29-08-2016 12:14
Wounded Warrior Sailing Foundation MTLandlocked Our Community 5 07-10-2013 07:06
BoatUS Foundationís Boating Safety Grant GordMay Health, Safety & Related Gear 0 17-10-2007 04:58
long Term Storage sjs Engines and Propulsion Systems 5 19-01-2007 12:46



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:57.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.