Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 13:36   #1

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
Found the Boat . . . Now What ?

For the past several years I have been keeping an eye out for a specific model boat. always rejecting the ones I found due to deep draft, bridge clearance, age, condition, price, Volvo engine vs Yanmar, equipment, location, etc. I'm sure you know the drill. Always an excuse not to take it a step farther. Headed to the marina to yesterday morning to go for a sail, and there is was...in my marina...with a sign on it...even the right color bimini & trim. Knew something had to be wrong with it's specs. Checked it out online and it is EXACTLY what I have been waiting for. Right draft, motor, bridge clearance, A/C...and the asking price is right. Showed the pics to the Admiral, she says great, let's do it, call our broker. Don't need to finance, and buying would be using $$$ we will very likely never need..so why am I hesitating? Any one else dealt with this? Has the crappy economy stopped others from buying their dream boat, even when they can afford it? Normally I would jump on this, but can't figure out where the reluctance is coming from. Window shopper's remorse?
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 13:41   #2

Your remorse will be worse when some else snaps up your "perfect" boat. You can afford it, your wife is supportive, go buy the boat!
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 13:53   #3

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
You only live once! (Well, if you don't believe in reincarnation) and this is a 'Boat Buyers Market' and you have done your research. I say, make your offer, and then go buy some Champagne!
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 13:55   #4
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Well, could it be the responsibility and work you will have to do to maintain, keep, and actually use her? Could it be the hassle of having to make offers, survey, paperwork etc?

You mentioned the money is not an issue. Money IS an issue for some of us because of the economy - those of us who don't have large eggs and have pained working at jobs we hate have a lot more issues to deal with.

I say, go through with it. If it doesn't work out, you can always put her back on market at the original cost you looked at.

Honest to god, I wish I was in your position right now.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 14:40   #5
CLOD

Boat: none
Because you are locked in anlysis mode for that perfect boat. But now you say you have found the perfect boat, which seems would make you a fool for not getting the boat. Assuming you really wanted a boat to sdstart with.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 16:30   #6

Boat: Rou-Coo is a 16 ft Canoe. A big Sister is in the planning stages!
Was it a dream ----or a fantasy? That is the real question that you have to decide on.
Rou-Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 16:43   #7

Boat: San Juan 28
Since this is your dream boat, and you can afford it, you should either

1) Go buy it right now,

or

2) Decide to never buy a boat and move on with your life.
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 17:01   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You've done your due dilligence - now go for it.
CONGRATULATIONS!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 17:05   #9
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
You dont have a choice. You didn't find it - IT FOUND YOU! Now you HAVE to give it a home! Thats the way the universe works!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:39   #10

Thanks for the great insights and encouragement, except for Don's very strange comment, which is not worth commenting on. We decided on this model several years ago, because it met the type of sailing we do the most of. It just took this long for one to come on the market with that specific draft and mast height since very few were made and it is only 5 years old. Combine that with several illnesses and deaths in the family, postponing the search. I'm calling our broker today and starting the process. Anyone interested in a really nice 1986 Newport 28 MKII for about $12k? I think SaltyMonkey said it best: "...it found you...".
Old 10-08-2010, 06:07   #11

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
I assume when the time is right you will let us know what it was that found you.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:43   #12

I'd guess you got addicted to the searching for a boat. And now all that might come to an end and you'll have to get your head around boat ownership and all that it entails..

what is your boating experience to date?

You never mentioned your past experience, so IF this is your first boat, maybe you're just nervous about starting something you have no knowledge of??

My advice, "BUY THE BOAT"!!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W
Has the crappy economy stopped others from buying their dream boat, even when they can afford it?
The crappy economy!?! That's not a reason NOT to buy a boat! That's a reason to be jumping on the purchase NOW, while it is a buyers market!

On the other hand, maybe this is a case of "be careful what you wish for". Some people dream of the cruising lifestyle, but when push comes to shove it is something that is more fun to dream about than to actually do. Your gut may be telling you something, and this may turn out to be a very expensive lesson if you don't listen.

Don't let anyone else push you into this. You have to decide for yourself if this is really what you want. A boat is always expensive, and always more expensive than you expect. Are you going to end up spending lots of money and very little time on it? Are you going to sell it five years from now, poorer but wiser? Or are you going to step into a new phase of life, where you live the dream and enjoy life more than you ever have, out on your very own sailboat at every opportunity that you get?

Only you can decide. Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:44   #14

Boat: Endeavour 37
I thought Don was on point. If you are in the market and found your perfect boat, why the question in the first place. Unless, of course, you are not so sure you are in the market. As rtbates puts it, don't let any of us help with whether you should make the jump. You already own a boat and know the routine. It appears that if you do make the jump, you'll own two, at least til you are able to unload the Newport. I've been in the exact same position and I must admit that at first it was difficult looking at slip fees and maintenance on both boats. It boiled down to the answer of one simple question, "do i really intend to cruise in the "new" boat? I certainly didn't need another 10ft to daysail or for weekend outings. However, if was serious about going offshore, there wasn't really a dilemma. Unfortunately, these types of questions are answered only by you and your wife.
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:49   #15

Ok, a few wrong guesses going on, so maybe a little more detail will help. The boat is only 35' and five years old. I've been sailing since 1978 and have owned the Newport 28 for 11 years. I bought it to transition to a larger boat, but life's challenges I mentioned earlier slowed the transition down. The Admiral & I have bareboat chartered by ourselves 6 times in the BVI's since 2002, plus the Keys, Miami and out of San Diego and I often crew on larger boats and used to crew on large Hunters in their Discover Sailing program to help potential sailors (buyers) try the bigger boats. I'm out on my boat most weekends, since my job as a national sales manager keeps me out of town during the week. I do all my own maintenance, so I'm not worried about that. Recently, the Admiral has developed a lot of osteoarthritis problems, which have included knee replacement (we charted 2 months later) extensive surgery in both elbows, scholiosis and we learned a few months ago that she is facing a total shoulder replacement with more to come. Any chance of cruising together is pretty much gone. I want ths boat because it will be much easier for my wife to move around in, larger head, large aft cabin, a/c, large cockpit, open stern, full galley, windlass etc. Simply put, we have a narrow window for her to enjoy weekends and vacations hanging out on the boat, sailing to our favorite spots, maybe some ICW cruising, Bahamas, etc. and I want to make it easier and more comfortable for her, so we can keep sailing together. What she has is progressive and will likely become much worse. Fortunately we can afford it, and I may retire next year at 55. However, the responses to my original post made me think a little more and I guess mostly I was surprised to literally "trip" over the boat I have been looking for and am starting the buying process. I suspected more sailors would have the "next boat" always in mind like I did...and now we have found it.