Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2015, 09:48   #16

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Found my vice grips!!!

I know I lost something on the boat but right now, I cannot remember what it was.....
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:51   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have found tools inside of the wings of 40 yr old aircraft that were obviously lost during manufacture.

I have a "aerol gland nut wrench" for a YP-59A that I found in an aircraft, I kept it as I think it's probably very rare.
I can't figure out what it's made of, it's heavy and rusted, but a magnet has no attraction to it?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:54   #18

Does it have to be tools?

Meds, where are my meds?

When I do work with tools, I'm pretty clear on where I put them, so I can reach them for the next task. When my son helps, and he IS a BIG help, he's a little inconsistent on placing them. We spend some time looking for them, but not as long as I would have thought, since I have two or three of almost everything.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:01   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_3 View Post
I think you told the story wrong though. Your CHILDREN lost your tools, then you found them. Because they always borrow them without asking and lose them.
I say this as I look at a nice adjustable wrench I borrowed from my dad about 25 years ago. I bet he still thinks it's going to turn up someday around his house.
Ha, my life experience was the opposite. I had a lot of tools as a kid and a well organized workshop. My dad would get into them sometimes when I wasnt around and leave them in random places...I think he just dropped them wherever he was done with them. Found some out in a field years later.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:05   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

When I do work with tools, I'm pretty clear on where I put them, so I can reach them for the next task. When my son helps, and he IS a BIG help, he's a little inconsistent on placing them. We spend some time looking for them, but not as long as I would have thought, since I have two or three of almost everything.
Ha, reminds me of two guys who work for me back in Guatemala. One is very organized and meticulous and the other....not so much. When Im looking for something in the tool box and find it, and usually several other things, in the wrong place...I know Jorge has been in the toobox.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:13   #21

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Our home has several cordless phones.
One of them went missing a year ago.
We recently found it when we emptied our compost tumbler.
After removing the completely dead battery and speaker, I gave it a good bath.
I then replaced the speaker and put in another battery.
With the exception of the #1 button, it works !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:24   #22

My wife couldn't find her keys after we got from sailing. She remembered hearing a splash by our dock box while we were rinsing off the boat. Used up 2 tanks sifting through the mud and muck trying to find them. No luck. Had to get a new marina key. 2 weeks later, when we were going sailing, she found the keys in her weather gear">foul weather gear jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:45   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy!

I like that kind of tool too. Have used them many times.

FYI: The proper name and spelling is "VISE" grip, not "vice" grip.

Here is a link to a website that tells you something about the history of that tool. Pretty interesting.

The Vise Grip Company of Nebraska

This tool was developed in Nebraska (I used to live there). Another example of a proud small company making practical "iconic" and quality stuff in the USA.

Unfortunately....

"In 2008, the original Vise-Grip manufacturing plant in Dewitt, Nebraska, closed when the parent company moved production to China. Over 330 people from Dewitt (population 600) and surrounding communities were out of work. "

In the UK there is a similar product, and they are known by another brand, "Mole wrench."
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:08   #24

Boat: Valiant 40, SOLD

On a 700' containership I was finishing up a rebuild on the Salt Water Service pump that exhibited irregular vibration characteristics, (this pump provides cooling water to engine room machinery), and having a problem aligning the pump to the motor driving it. I climbed down into the bilges to get another angle, and found that the pedestal the pump was mounted on had three legs welded, and one leg held together with vice-grips. The ship was 25 years old, and the vice-grips had been painted many times!
bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:21   #25

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

The boat was really stinking, so I thought I'd clean up. found a dead rat.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:53   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
They have been missing for over a year. Nothing is ever lost in a sailboat. Just goes AWOL for a while, but this is a new record.

Stuck my head up into the bow forward of the v-berth to inspect the backing on my anchor roller that is trying to pull out. And I'll be damned, there were the vice grips still clamped to a nut on a bolt securing the port side chock. Replaced that chock well over a year ago.

More than a year ago! Anyone care to share something to beat that?

Now if I could just find that jar of mustard I bought a couple of days ago.
I once found a nice stop watch still working in the anchor well of a yacht I bought second hand. I returned it to the original owner. I also use vice grips to hold nuts so I can tighten from above. Sometimes I use two pairs if there are several nuts. I have found one still there maybe a week later.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:24   #27
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
On a 700' containership I was finishing up a rebuild on the Salt Water Service pump that exhibited irregular vibration characteristics, (this pump provides cooling water to engine room machinery), and having a problem aligning the pump to the motor driving it. I climbed down into the bilges to get another angle, and found that the pedestal the pump was mounted on had three legs welded, and one leg held together with vice-grips. The ship was 25 years old, and the vice-grips had been painted many times!

Up above in this thread I linked an article that tells about the origin and development of the Vise Grip tool making company. In that article it also says that the Vise Grips were very popular during WW2 and that the welders building Liberty ships (at a very fast pace) would sometimes weld the tool in place, while it was holding some plate or things together.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:53   #28

Boat: Tartan T3000

My wife moved my (insert item here) to where it's supposed to be.
fjjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 13:43   #29

Boat: Meridian 40' Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
They have been missing for over a year. Nothing is ever lost in a sailboat. Just goes AWOL for a while, but this is a new record.

Stuck my head up into the bow forward of the v-berth to inspect the backing on my anchor roller that is trying to pull out. And I'll be damned, there were the vice grips still clamped to a nut on a bolt securing the port side chock. Replaced that chock well over a year ago.

More than a year ago! Anyone care to share something to beat that?

Now if I could just find that jar of mustard I bought a couple of days ago.
After selling a boat I had for 16 yeas I was moving my stuff off. I don't know what made me do it but I raised up a piece of carpet covering a shelf and there lay 3 one hundred bills. My late husband had to have stashed them there years before.
lsearite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 13:56   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Hope you said

Thank you honey!

I never know vise grips are lost I have about 10!

I organize by topic, my wife organizes to fill space! Aaarrrgh!
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote