Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2019, 18:51   #1

Foul Weather Gear Advice Needed

I was all set to get the Gill OS2 Jacket when my cousin told me he gets nearly half off Helly Hansen gear with his corporate partnership. So, Gill OS2 or Helly Hanse AEGIR Ocean Jacket (retail $500). I think both would be around $300 for me. Which one is better?

Koz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 01:50   #2

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Re: Foul Weather Gear Advice Needed

Are you Euro based? If so go to Decathlon and get their foulies... great kit by 1 of the main manufacturers

GL

Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 07:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Are you Euro based? If so go to Decathlon and get their foulies... great kit by 1 of the main manufacturers

GL
I'm US based.
Koz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 08:09   #4

Which one do you like better (find more comfortable)? Trying it on should tell you most of what you need to know.

After all, comfort is more important than the % discount.

They're both probably pretty nice gear.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 08:45   #5

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz1 View Post
I was all set to get the Gill OS2 Jacket when my cousin told me he gets nearly half off Helly Hansen gear with his corporate partnership. So, Gill OS2 or Helly Hanse AEGIR Ocean Jacket (retail $500). I think both would be around $300 for me. Which one is better?
Go for fit
Also the OS2 is not the same range as Aegir.
You say Ocean Jacket.
The Aegir is much ticker. The Hood is also more offshor eon the Aegir. But less confortable when not needed.

I think the OS2 should be compared to the Skagen jacket, not the Ocean jacket.
Gill Race OCean Jacket is more of a match to the Aegir.

Like I said, if you are not a regular offshore sailor Go for confort more then the Offshore capabilities. Offshore jackets are bulkier, heavier, and les confortable then the coastals or light offshore.

Get THE best boots you can
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 09:37   #6

Boat: Catalina 320

Try them on.
I’ve found that HH is a very different fit than Gill and still different from Musto, West, etc.
Sailnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 09:41   #7

Boat: Sceptre 36

I am a huge fan of HH. They have a lifetime warranty and they mean it. They replaced a 20 yr. old sailing jacket of mine, no questions asked, free of charge for a much better one!
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 10:12   #8

Boat: Dufour 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
I am a huge fan of HH. They have a lifetime warranty and they mean it. They replaced a 20 yr. old sailing jacket of mine, no questions asked, free of charge for a much better one!
Interesting. I bought a HH jacket 2 years ago. Wore it about 3 times. Needed it a couple of months ago and the waterproof membrane was falling apart. I will try taking it back
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 10:18   #9

Boat: Baba 40

Regarding Gill, I bought an OS3 to replace my beat OS2. Hated the picket situation and returned it for another 2.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 10:27   #10

Boat: Custom Brewer Miami 45 45' - Quetzalcoatl

I've had several suits of weather gear">foul weather gear over the years and seldom have worn any of them. They tend to lay in storage and fall apart with out any help from me. I don't know what your cruising grounds are like, but I've been as far north as New Foundland and as far south as New Zealand and have seldom used them. I think they are great for racers, but for ordinary souls they are probably a waste of money.
Donald Bryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 10:48   #11

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

I have sold dozens of both jackets and find that both are generally well made. I have also used both. Of the two I personally prefer the OS2 however either one, if properly chosen, will serve you well. Also, the AEGIR is a higher end jacket, and is more like the Gill OS1.

How are you sailing? If you are just day sailing, particularly in the summer from NY south, both jackets will be overkill. If you are sailing in the spring and winter, then they will serve you well.

Please note that my comments are based upon sales here in the U.S. Also, there are other options besides these two. I find that I tend to wear the bib far more often than my OS2. The bib, along with a good wool sweater and appropriate layers keeps me very comfortable. I tend to wear my OS2 only when it is raining hard or it's cold and windy. Usually I wear my OS2 bib and put on a light jacket unless things are getting really unpleasant.

Below are some general observations based upon my use and what my customers have said after buying them. Gill make great nautical gear and HH make great outdoor gear. The HH and Gill bibs are very popular and well designed. The HH sailing jackets are good, although I have some reservations. The HH jackets are well made but I have found that there are a couple of design features that are a concern to some but not all people.

HH jackets and bibs tend to run small whereas Gill tend to be more American sized, that is sized for the average American suburbanite. I am not sure if you are buying in the store or online. If you are buying online and buy the HH, order one size up. If buying the Gill you are more likely to be successful with your normal size.

The waterproof capabilities of both are pretty comparable. The Gill tends to have a better collar. The Gill collar can be pulled tight to keep the water our whereas the HH jackets, other than the AEGIR, just zip up and tend to let in water. On the other hand, the AEGIR jacket is significantly more expensive.

Some people have complained about the way the HH collars are sewn. The stitching that connects the outer shell and the fleece collar lining is often on the inside of the collar, causing chafe for some customers. Again, not everyone is bothered by it but I would definitely try them on before buying.

When you try them on, see how the pockets are. Do the hand warming pockets work for you? Do they adjust well for you? Can you cinch the sleeves, waist, etc. in a comfortable manner? As others have said, if you cannot be comfortable, you will not want to wear it and it will be a waste of money.

In summation, both are good jackets but only you can decide by trying it on. Most people don't really need an OS2 or comparable jacket. I can count on one hand the number of times I wear mine each year. I use my bibs and light jacket far more often and I am out sailing pretty often, both day sailing and cruising.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 12:03   #12

Boat: Cal-40

I use Guy Cotten X-Trapper. Itís the standard of the commercial fishing industry in Alaska and will last much longer then the fancy yuppie things you see all the yachty folks hanging out at the marina wearing.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 13:31   #13

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

In AK Grundens are more common than Guy Cotten. I lived in Grundens Briggs/Herkules combo (and BFG X-Tra-Tuffs) for 35 seasons. Now that we're cruising rather than fishing, we're giving Grundens Neptune a try. We like the bibs and jackets with hoods.

Cheers,
Old 20-04-2019, 19:14   #14

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Bryden View Post
I've had several suits of foul weather gear over the years and seldom have worn any of them. They tend to lay in storage and fall apart with out any help from me. I don't know what your cruising grounds are like, but I've been as far north as New Foundland and as far south as New Zealand and have seldom used them. I think they are great for racers, but for ordinary souls they are probably a waste of money.
I'm in Newfoundland and I have the HH. Plenty of crap weather here and you won't go out much if you aren't comfortable. Mine fit me great which is most surprising. That said I think they have to be tried to make a good decision.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 19:51   #15

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post

GL
They only deliver in Germany

nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foul weather gear, gear, weather