Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 21:21   #1306
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Once again, I am learning from this thread. I knew in the back of my mind that all this attention would get someone here to dig around for stories. I just didn't think it would be so plain to see.
I bet for every one in the open there are a dozen that are lurking or adding little digs here and there, trying to find a story they can sell.
And you wonder why I am careful to post in conversation!
Once again, I will wait for Eric to post the facts. If he does not want to give them to the press, maybe he can PM a few of us.
And Mr. Weber (or whoever you really are) go back to chasing royality. Nobody but us poor sailors here.
Old 11-04-2014, 21:21   #1307

Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Welcome home Eric, Charlotte, Cora and Lyra. We are so thankful you all are back safely and Lyra is better. We keep you in our thoughts. Hugs to you all. May you follow wherever your next dream takes you.
Old 11-04-2014, 21:27   #1308

Boat: Last:Newport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
they didn't SAY that at all
Really?

2:10 of the press briefing video through 2:45, baby was not critical but could have become more sick

12:35 "they could have brought the boat back to shore"

13:00 - 14:30 Captain Kaufman on the first night after the rescuers arrived: "we are getting out of here and we are going to scuttle the boat"...
"if the daughter hadn't gotten sick they probably never would have called us"

14:50 "no problems steering the boat"

How more clear could it be? According to the rescuers the taking on of water amounted to no more than a few minutes of pumping twice a day, the boat could have been sailed back to shore and the baby was not critical, and yet from the start of the rescue the boat's captain insisted that they were all getting off and he was going to scuttle the boat.
Old 11-04-2014, 21:35   #1309
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Weber View Post
Really?

2:10 of the press briefing video through 2:45, baby was not critical but could have become more sick

13:00 - 14:30 Captain Kaufman on the first night after the rescuers arrived: "we are getting out of here and we are going to scuttle the boat"...

How more clear could it be? The taking on of water amounted to no more than a few minutes of pumping twice a day, the boat could have been sailed back to shore and the baby was not critical, and yet from the start of the rescue the boat's captain insisted that they were all getting off and he was going to scuttle the boat.
without posting links which i am sure you will not .

anything you say is potentially libel,it also exposes CRUISERS FORUM to copyright infringement,since you are a member here,and making libelous claims on their behalf.

you are about as transparent as a used condom.

i repeat, your next claim will be that the rescue was a publicity stunt if i see your agenda correctly
Old 11-04-2014, 22:00   #1310
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Really?

2:10 Eric: They were in decent condition but they made the right call when they did.

4:57 Eric: The big thing with a baby is just knowing medically they can be fine for a little while and then they can take a dive pretty quickly umm...so our guys have done a lot of work preppin' for treating pediatrics.

Quote:
Misdirected

12:10
Q: Were the family well equipped medically?
Clay: Yes the family was very very well prepared for this voyage [equipment, training]...a less prepared person wouldn't have called us when they did, so I'm glad they did...they did everything right including calling us early and ahhh when the thing started to go bad.
They umm their radios started to go bad, they started [12:35] to take on a small amount of water. They could have handled it, I'm mean, theoretically they could have brought their boat back to shore, so when the daughter got sick, they said OK we're outta here and they called us and I'm glad they called us when they did.

Quote:
Misquoted individual name

Eric:

On first arrival I asked him his intention
we are getting out of here and we are going to scuttle the boat MY FAMILY IS MORE IMPORTANT.

if the daughter hadn't gotten sick they probably never would have called us.

Correct. Thats what stopped them from continuing or being able to go back.

Quote:

How more clear could it be? According to the rescuers the taking on of water amounted to no more than a few minutes of pumping twice a day, the boat could have been sailed back to shore and the baby was not critical, and yet from the start of the rescue the boat's captain insisted that they were all getting off and he was going to scuttle the boat.
…and take care of his family.

What? Are you advocating leaving the child on a ship and sailing on? Are you advocating him tossing the child into the sea and sailing on?

You really are a TROLL.

EDIT: The interview also spoke of being 3 weeks in unfavorable winds to return and the child could be fatal in 2 days.

Im not going to bother tracing. This AH isn't worth it. Well, maybe when his IP is traced and we find out who he is we can have a different kind of conversation.
Old 11-04-2014, 22:44   #1311

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Nothing to be learned here except for prejudice and a certain club solidarity.
I don't find Charlie Webers "gravity of the situation" particularly unreasonable.
Somewhat unnecessary though.
Everyone has their comfort zone and for Eric, that had been reached, in terms of risk to his family.
I can respect that.
All the best to you & your family Eric.
Old 11-04-2014, 22:50   #1312

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You know, guys, I think we should all go back to saying how pleased we are that the crew of Rebel Heart are well and safe. Keep stumm till the parapazzi, et al, the muckrakers get bored. The strategy was suggested by some other folks earlier on. How wise you've been shown to be!

'Bye for now.

Ann
Old 11-04-2014, 23:01   #1313

Jedi posted a Dashew vid and some of you wondered what sailing an 80 foot boat had to do with RH's experience. Well to begin with he is sailing an 80 foot boat which he can do by himself. I've seen he and his wife launch all of the spinnakers in the same winds that RH was sailing in so he walks his talk.

Dave,
The only thing missing on some of your passages was a shoot out at the OK corral and gang rape, LOL.

The truth is that passages are very tiring and there are times/moments when things can get stressful. Its not the best place for people that are not prepared mentally. I also agree with the poster that suggested that F5 winds were quite normal offshore.
Old 11-04-2014, 23:03   #1314
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
You know, guys, I think we should all go back to saying how pleased we are that the crew of Rebel Heart are well and safe. Keep stumm till the parapazzi, et al, the muckrakers get bored. The strategy was suggested by some other folks earlier on. How wise you've been shown to be!

'Bye for now.

Ann
I'm pleased they are well and safe. Bless the family.
Old 11-04-2014, 23:13   #1315

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

'Bye for now.

Ann
Yep I agree. All the opinions are just giving the wrong people added ammunition, and it reflects on all of us as a whole. The best thing we can learn from all this is to stand by each other and show the world that they cannot mess with the cruising community!
Old 12-04-2014, 01:10   #1316

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
2:10 Eric: They were in decent condition but they made the right call when they did.

4:57 Eric: The big thing with a baby is just knowing medically they can be fine for a little while and then they can take a dive pretty quickly umm...so our guys have done a lot of work preppin' for treating pediatrics.

Misdirected

12:10
Q: Were the family well equipped medically?
Clay: Yes the family was very very well prepared for this voyage [equipment, training]...a less prepared person wouldn't have called us when they did, so I'm glad they did...they did everything right including calling us early and ahhh when the thing started to go bad.
They umm their radios started to go bad, they started [12:35] to take on a small amount of water. They could have handled it, I'm mean, theoretically they could have brought their boat back to shore, so when the daughter got sick, they said OK we're outta here and they called us and I'm glad they called us when they did.

Misquoted individual name

Eric:

On first arrival I asked him his intention
we are getting out of here and we are going to scuttle the boat MY FAMILY IS MORE IMPORTANT.

if the daughter hadn't gotten sick they probably never would have called us.

Correct. Thats what stopped them from continuing or being able to go back.

…and take care of his family.

What? Are you advocating leaving the child on a ship and sailing on? Are you advocating him tossing the child into the sea and sailing on?

You really are a TROLL.

EDIT: The interview also spoke of being 3 weeks in unfavorable winds to return and the child could be fatal in 2 days.

Im not going to bother tracing. This AH isn't worth it. Well, maybe when his IP is traced and we find out who he is we can have a different kind of conversation.
why waste your time replying... The guy is a TROLL
Old 12-04-2014, 01:22   #1317
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
why waste your time replying... The guy is a TROLL
trolls are vermin!

i do like the idea of tracing his ip address,as you would other internet predators.

it would make sueing for libel a real possibility
Old 12-04-2014, 01:35   #1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
trolls are vermin!

i do like the idea of tracing his ip address,as you would other internet predators.

it would make sueing for libel a real possibility
The easiest thing is to make them "invisible". They get bored and go away when people ignore them and carry on posting as if they were not on the thread
Old 12-04-2014, 01:57   #1319
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
The easiest thing is to make them "invisible". They get bored and go away when people ignore them and carry on posting as if they were not on the thread
unfortunately in this case only a mod can do that,this guy was not trolling for fun ,he was looking to engineer a story using quotes generated on this thread.

it was telling when dave suggested,that he had got his info from either being onboard ,or living in the head.

mr webber not being a sailor assumed dave meant living in their collective mind"head" as portrayed in their blog,not as as dave inferred living in the toilet(head) onboard and eavsdropping
Old 12-04-2014, 02:03   #1320

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
The rescuers parachuted in and found a non-critical baby and a boat that was just fine.

In their own words:

"Were it not for their sick child, they would have had no need to call us, the boat was fine."

"the best thing they did was calling when they did so that care could be given prior to the child becoming critical"

In other words the baby wasn't all that sick, but might have become so, and the boat was just fine but now sits at the bottom of the ocean, and its crew is back in San Diego.

So sad, and so avoidable.

This idiot clearly only joined the forum to further his trolling. Isn't there a way to get rid of him? Like, go away!
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico