Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 17:07   #1156
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
Salad girl? Must be a west coast 'ism

No, I think it's a euro thing. We don't do that sort of thing around here!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 10-04-2014, 17:11   #1157
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

LOL !you guys are reading too much into it.........it was an ideal oppotunity to get a bit of peace and quiet from the wife and kids for 5or 6 weeks......this is after all why most men got to work isnt it?
Old 10-04-2014, 17:14   #1158

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Weber View Post
Longtime lurker, first time poster.

While reading the Kaufman's blog posts, put up while the couple were underway on their aborted passage, I was struck by the fact that not only were they having a miserable time, they also seemed somewhat surprised and shocked by their boat's motion and how hard it was to move around, sleep, take care of the baby, etc. And yet the force 5 conditions they were in are quite typical offshore. At one point Eric Kaufman mentions that this is his first bluewater voyage, and then his and Charlotte's surprise begins to make sense.

Which of course begs the question: How can parents of very young children possibly make an informed decision as to whether or not they want to take their very young child and baby on a 3000 mile trans-pac cruise when they themselves have never done any offshore sailing? Like many of you, I've known dozens of cruising families with young kids, even babies aboard, but in every case I can recall, the parents had significant bluewater experience before setting out with their kids.

Putting aside all the other chatter, I think this is the most important takeaway from the Kaufman's story. Parents of young children should make an effort to learn first-hand what they are getting themselves and their children into before setting off on a major passage. Why not go crew for somebody and see what it's all about out there in the open ocean, and if it's for you and your young family?

That being said, I'm really glad that the Kaufman family made it back, and wish them all the best in their future adventures.
I think those are reasonable observations. Without knowing enough of the facts about Eric's specific case to draw any conclusions about his situation, I do know that living on a boat tied up to a dock qualifies one to comment on blue water cruising about as much as sitting in a race car qualifies you to comment on Nascar. The degree to which your mental capabilities are diminished after intermittent sleep coupled with constant motion has to be experienced to be understood. Add to that the responsibility to take care of children with the younger the child the greater the load and you have a bit of a marathon on your hands. Cap it off with crew that all things considered would rather be somewhere else and you have a scenario where stepping off the boat might look pretty good.

Very glad their child is ok, they are ok and the only thing lost is a boat. For me, the takeaway for cruisers contemplating setting off for the Marquesas should be to do spend a few nights offshore with the family they've got, preferably in conditions less benign than force 5 before setting off for New Zealand.
Old 10-04-2014, 17:14   #1159
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
LOL !you guys are reading too much into it.........it was an ideal oppotunity to get a bit of peace and quiet from the wife and kids for 5or 6 weeks......this is after all why most men got to work isnt it?

Ssshhhh!! Don't be spilling our secrets like that!

Mods, quick! Delete that post! Oh wait, they are on to us anyway, aren't they? Ah well, guess we aren't fooling anyone...

Old 10-04-2014, 17:14   #1160

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
No, I think it's a euro thing. We don't do that sort of thing around here!
You mean I've been avoiding the west coast for nothing? I need to get out more.
Old 10-04-2014, 17:22   #1161

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Ssshhhh!! Don't be spilling our secrets like that!

Mods, quick! Delete that post! Oh wait, they are on to us anyway, aren't they? Ah well, guess we aren't fooling anyone...
Any more of that and we mods may make it a permanent sticky!
Old 10-04-2014, 17:32   #1162
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Any more of that and we mods may make it a permanent sticky!

[quivers on his knees in fear of the banhammer, which is obviously going to get used today]

Old 10-04-2014, 17:36   #1163

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cowboy View Post
Troll................
I've been on here both longer than you and have more posts and I think Charlie is making a very good point. Does that make me a troll as well?
Old 10-04-2014, 17:41   #1164

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I'm not going to jump you because you are new here on CF, but will point out there is a major difference between a family that feels God will guide and care for them and Eric. Eric has a lot of sailing experience in SoCal, singlehanded to Baja, and was employed as a 100 ton captain. He may not have crossed an ocean yet, but all of us that have had a 1st crossing.
I suppose one difference between the unfortunate family described in the link and Rebel Heart is that the Gastonguay's trip lasted 91 days off shore and Rebel Heart's a bit less. Sounds like their boat wasn't much of a vessel compared to the HC 36 either and didn't hold up to the storms they encountered and began breaking up. A bit of force 5 might have sounded pretty good to them, at least based on their account of their adventure. Just not to sure how fair it is to mock that family, as most on CF did when Eric first posted his comments on their misfortune, but perhaps it is because they are fundamentalist Christians. I guess that must count against them.
Old 10-04-2014, 17:41   #1165

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I've been on here both longer than you and have more posts and I think Charlie is making a very good point. Does that make me a troll as well?

What point is "Charlie" trying to make? That a couple of "off center" folks from Arizona with no experience move to San Diego and live at a dock on, I could find a description of it, sailboat and then decide to sail across the Pacific? How does that compare to Eric.
Old 10-04-2014, 17:46   #1166
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
I suppose one difference between the unfortunate family described in the link and Rebel Heart is that the Gastonguay's trip lasted 91 days off shore and Rebel Heart's a bit less. Sounds like their boat wasn't much of a vessel compared to the HC 36 either and didn't hold up to the storms they encountered and began breaking up. A bit of force 5 might have sounded pretty good to them, at least based on their account of their adventure. Just not to sure how fair it is to mock that family, as most on CF did when Eric first posted his comments on their misfortune, but perhaps it is because they are fundamentalist Christians. I guess that must count against them.

Pretty easy to mock people who "take a leap of faith" and then beg to be rescued by the government they so vigorously denigrated. Not much faith left when the SHTF for real, eh?

Old 10-04-2014, 17:48   #1167

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Eric also bashed the crew of the Zenamaran:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...an-106946.html

Crew member got sick...
Lost steering...
Tried to get back to Mexico...
Called for help...
Picked up by a cargo ship.

No kid, and not the US military, but the story is close.

Then the arrogant comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'll bump this thread from hiva oa and you can double check my angsty opinions.

And in my defense, I've gotten everywhere I've left for.
I'm glad that they're all OK, and I'm sorry that they lost their home, but a hero's welcome?

Maybe there's a lesson in humility somewhere.
Old 10-04-2014, 17:48   #1168
cruiser

Quote:
Pretty easy to mock people who "take a leap of faith" and then beg to be rescued by the government they so vigorously denigrated. Not much faith left when the SHTF for real, eh?
Spot on minaret.
Old 10-04-2014, 17:51   #1169
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Personally speaking, I've made it a point not to mock anyone that needed rescue irrespective of the reasons why, no more then I didnt mock wolfhound, or the atlas rescue etc etc.

I have no truck , with the punish them for their sins mentality.

I like others would have my personal views on the issues of such a voyage. But I would never castigate the call for help , irrespective of the circumstances.

Glad all are ok , kudos for the awesome rescue.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2014, 17:54   #1170

Boat: PETERSON 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
Eric also bashed the crew of the Zenamaran:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...an-106946.html

Crew member got sick...
Lost steering...
Tried to get back to Mexico...
Called for help...
Picked up by a cargo ship.

No kid, and not the US military, but the story is close.

Then the arrogant comment:

I'm glad that they're all OK, and I'm sorry that they lost their home, but a hero's welcome?

Maybe there's a lesson in humility somewhere.

Another read the whole piece. He has an opinion we all can get a bit carried away let me quote what he said in ine post "used to judge everyone, then I stopped judging anyone, now I'm sort of in the middle. If you're happy and safe on the water, you're doing something right, even if I would do things differently. So I'm definitely over sitting around the docks telling people what they should do. There's a lot of boat styles and lifestyles that work, what works for me might not work for someone else and"
So he sees some issues. God fir bid I get judged on my every post or reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico