Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 11:07   #961

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by leightonyachts View Post
I think it is pretty comical and just proves how miss-informed people really are that complain about using our tax dollars to rescue this family. Are we not paying our military 24/7 to do their job? since when did a rescue like this cost the Navy any "extra" money? as a military veteran, I know of countless time we conducted simulated rescues and "War Games" at dummy targets costing millions of $$$ that never accomplished anything but "Practice".
At least with this rescue they got the chance to do the real thing, which I may add that these guys on the ship were happy and excited to do. I know when I was on duty, I could not wait to conduct an actual mission that ment something.
Now these guys get to go back home with a feeling of accomplishment and pride of a job well done.

+1

It's not like someone has to leave a credit card for a deposit before they can board the ship!
Old 09-04-2014, 11:13   #962

Boat: Tartan TOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by leightonyachts View Post
I think it is pretty comical and just proves how miss-informed people really are that complain about using our tax dollars to rescue this family. Are we not paying our military 24/7 to do their job? since when did a rescue like this cost the Navy any "extra" money? as a military veteran, I know of countless time we conducted simulated rescues and "War Games" at dummy targets costing millions of $$$ that never accomplished anything but "Practice".
At least with this rescue they got the chance to do the real thing, which I may add that these guys on the ship were happy and excited to do. I know when I was on duty, I could not wait to conduct an actual mission that ment something.
Now these guys get to go back home with a feeling of accomplishment and pride of a job well done.
Well said! It seems like there are plenty of areas that people could complain about excessive spending rather than the rescue of a family in need...
Old 09-04-2014, 11:39   #963
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Lyra Kaufman, sick toddler rescued from Rebel Heart, back in San Diego - CBS News

NEWs!
Old 09-04-2014, 11:58   #964

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwoods View Post
I figure if you don't want to just donate, buy Eric's book! Unauthorized Guide to Sailing in Mexico. Make him a best selling author, I'm getting the Kindle edition right now.

That some people will review the book at 1 star and make negative comments when they clearly did not read the book just blows me away.

Wow...writing a guide after being there 1 whole year. No, not cocky at all

Nobody should ever have to go through anything like this. Happy to see that they are safe and sound back in CA
Old 09-04-2014, 12:52   #965

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Wow...writing a guide after being there 1 whole year. No, not cocky at all
If the book is based on the most recent cruise, you can be pretty sure the information is current!
Not sure the ink would be dry though.
Old 09-04-2014, 13:11   #966

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

That was a nice article, I thought. Thanks.

Good to see they made it back.
Old 09-04-2014, 14:48   #967

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It's wonderful when you like to donate to this relief fund.

Others have posted this before but it seems to be ignored:
Keep your donation activities to yourself, no need to advertise what you did and no need to make use of a "morally and politically correct" opinion venting towards others that did not donate. If you think the total collected sum isn't enough, you could donate more yourself, instead of putting "moral pressure" onto others who have not deserved that treatment.

</rant>
I agree!

Some people might not be in a financial position to donate.

Trying to humiliate someone into a contribution is just as bad as those people who are criticizing the Kaufmans.
Old 09-04-2014, 14:56   #968

Thanks, salty for that link.

In part it read:

The Kaufmans' decision to sail around the world with Lyra and her sister Cora has struck a chord with parents - angering some who accuse them of endangering their children and drawing admiration from others for having the courage and determination to follow their dream.
"The rescuers have to risk their own lives to help people who do these kinds of stupid things on purpose, and I don't think that's right," said Margaret Dilloway, a San Diego novelist who has three children, adding that she thinks the family should have to foot part of the bill for the rescue operation.

Dilloway said, "They'll probably go on the 'Today' show to talk about this, and write a book about it, do a mini-series and get 15 minutes of fame because that's how our country tends to reward people who choose recklessly to put themselves and their children in danger."

Ms. Dilloway ought to ask whether or not she should pay for fire & police services. Yeah, I know it's been said before.

I sure wouldn't wanna be one of Ms. Dilloway's kids.

She's probably a soccer mom, but she's lucky her kids haven't been shot or stabbed at high school.

She's someone who needs to do some reading up on how taxes in a COMMUNITY of citizens actually work.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 09-04-2014, 15:09   #969

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I think "Dilloway" should become a new epithet, used to indicate a small-minded, sheltered, conformist, and spiteful person.

Ah, jeez, don't be such a DILLOWAY!

Old 09-04-2014, 15:10   #970

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

It's a good thing Peter Tangvald is not alive today. They would surely lock him up and take away his kids. If you've never heard of him here is a brief summary:

THOMAS TANGVALD: In His Father's Wake

It's a fascinating and tragic story of one of our greatest engine-less sailor of years gone by. His whole story is in his autobiography ..At Any Cost: Love, Life & Death at Sea : An Autobiography: Peter Tangvald: 9780944428092: Amazon.com: Books

The title says it all.
Old 09-04-2014, 15:11   #971

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

In part it read:

The Kaufmans' decision to sail around the world with Lyra and her sister Cora has struck a chord with parents - angering some who accuse them of endangering their children and drawing admiration from others for having the courage and determination to follow their dream.
"The rescuers have to risk their own lives to help people who do these kinds of stupid things on purpose, and I don't think that's right," said Margaret Dilloway, a San Diego novelist who has three children, adding that she thinks the family should have to foot part of the bill for the rescue operation.

Dilloway said, "They'll probably go on the 'Today' show to talk about this, and write a book about it, do a mini-series and get 15 minutes of fame because that's how our country tends to reward people who choose recklessly to put themselves and their children in danger."

Ms. Dilloway ought to ask whether or not she should pay for fire & police services. Yeah, I know it's been said before.

She's probably a soccer mom, but she's lucky her kids haven't been shot or stabbed at high school.

She's someone who needs to do some reading up on how taxes in a COMMUNITY of citizens actually work.
To give you some insight as to who Ms. Dilloway is, of course in her own words. http://margaretdilloway.com/about-2/ I have always wondered why our current crop of journalists don't research their sources, and decide if they have relevance to the story.

She is what she is, the byline for her site is "Come for the books, stay for the snark."

At least quasi truth in advertising.

About the Author | Margaret Dilloway, American Housewife
Old 09-04-2014, 15:14   #972

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

In part it read:

I agree...
And if a relative of hers is lost in a downed airline we should or shouldn't charge those individual's families for rescue or recovery?

Where does the act of humanity come in. It's first nature (humanity) that comes into play to help anyone in distress without thought of personal safety when the situation arises.
Old 09-04-2014, 15:18   #973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
I think "Dilloway" should become a new epithet, used to indicate a small-minded, sheltered, conformist, and spiteful person.

Ah, jeez, don't be such a DILLOWAY!

I like it! let's just all start using it....

Old 09-04-2014, 15:22   #974

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I like it! let's just all start using it....
...or Dillowit.

adverb for snarking without wit.
Old 09-04-2014, 15:33   #975

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Rebel Heart Crew: welcome home. Be strong...the ridiculous are gathering and they are heavily armed with self-serving ridicule, moral indignation, and the ever popular "I could-a-told-ya-so foresight" that hindsight never fails to unveil.
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico