Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 04:48   #916

Boat: Ohlson 38
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
Why did you cut the meat outta my quote? I could care less what direction it goes, but Ann's constant "give them space " is ridiculous. Then the assertion that some of us are "gossiping" makes be wanna barf.

Please quote me fully, to obtain full context.
I agree.

An in-law knowingly bought a house in a flood plain..guess what happened? Yup..and FEMA bought her another house! A case of the safety net run amuck.

Rebel heart are intelligent, educated, high functioning people..they made their choices with full faculties. I find it rather pathetic that people would treat them as if they were a couple of grade school kids. They're grownups, people.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:26   #917

Boat: O'Day 28
Unhappy Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
... I feel their pain but I don't feel any responsibility or obligation to donate cash or to rescue these two in any way from the consequences of their own actions.

Nor have they asked for financial help as far as I can remember. And likely they wouldn't. And it's not clear to me that they need it. But maybe I missed it. Every time I logged on there were five more pages so I always skipped to the last page for the latest word.

This is just a field day for carrion eaters, seagulls, and other flying rats. And a strong reminder of why I wouldn't have a blog or FB account. Privacy is getting crushed day after day, no need to add fuel to the fire.
Just reading the relatively few posts I did read suggests that this likely wouldn't be a movie I'd pay to see, or even want to see. I like happy endings. All we have here is that nobody got hurt.

For me, this kind of a story buttresses my belief that there are a lot of cruising partners out there who'd rather be doing something else. I applaud their good sportsmanship, and go along to get along attitude but lament their inner longing for home, friends and family.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:29   #918

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Personally, I'm glad to see the fund raiser link. I don't look at it as a way to get them back on the water quickly and traveling. I look at it as their home was just lost, the only home their children have known so it would help them get back on their feet, whether it includes being on the water or dirt, it's up to them.

The best use, I think, is that they take care of those kids. They're already getting a wonderful life and that is important.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:31   #919

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Blue Crab...if you read each page as I did.....you would be unhappy with some of the entries......

Life is Good when you keepa Smilin....

S/V Water Wings
Old 09-04-2014, 05:49   #920
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
I agree.

An in-law knowingly bought a house in a flood plain..guess what happened? Yup..and FEMA bought her another house! A case of the safety net run amuck.

Rebel heart are intelligent, educated, high functioning people..they made their choices with full faculties. I find it rather pathetic that people would treat them as if they were a couple of grade school kids. They're grownups, people.

Do you mean that In order to demonstrate that, you would perhaps allow the child to die. I'm confused

Dave
Old 09-04-2014, 05:50   #921

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
And despite many forum members apparent voting habits, the US still has good social programs.

If they arrived back in San Diego truly in need resources would be available for them. If they needed say a deposit on an apartment I would chip in say $50. I feel no need to buy them a new yacht.
Let them go on public assistance? That's a great attitude. After being out full time cruising for the past 11 years we have come to think of the cruising community as part of our extended family and always try to give a hand when possible
Old 09-04-2014, 05:51   #922

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Just came from Charlotte's blog. There are almost as many messages on her blog now as there are in this thread, and mostly negative. So, I just submitted my supportive one. If you do the same, sign off with "fair winds" or "CU on CF" or something so she knows from whence you come.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:06   #923

Boat: O'Day 28
Unhappy Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
Blue Crab...if you read each page as I did.....you would be unhappy with some of the entries......

Life is Good when you keepa Smilin....
No doubt. Just reading about some of those bummed me out. I totally support the effort, taking the kids (Why wouldn't you?), and rue the loss of the boat. Plus, I used to be in the Rescues Cost Too Much posse but I've changed my tune. SAR teams do need the real deal, real time training.

I don't know if I have any faith or belief or creed or whatever beyond the observation that life seems random. One fewer mechanical breakdown, one less sick kid and maybe they become successful circumnavigators.

The picture of the inflatable with Eric (and kid in backpack) looking back at the boat told me all I need to know about this tale. Despite the media drama, it's still not a tragedy nor an epic story of the savage sea. Just bum luck. IMO.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:32   #924
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Just bum luck. IMO.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:35   #925

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Do you mean that In order to demonstrate that, you would perhaps allow the child to die. I'm confused

Dave
Not only confused but ridiculous.

I'm not devoid of compassion..my comments were in response to a pervasive condescending haughtiness in many CF commenters responses. I'm very disappointed that CFers would attempt to shame and bully people who dare attempt a reasoned examination of the situation.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion..so I offer mine up. Feel free to disagree.

IMO, Rebel Heart disaster warrants the same level of "rescuing" as someone who invested in high risk stock and lost everything or had their house burn down. Provide basics like shelter, food, medicine, lots of hugs..until such time as they can support themselves. Anything more would diminish them as responsible adults..no matter how well meaning the bleeding heart donors.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:56   #926
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Not only confused but ridiculous.

I'm not devoid of compassion..my comments were in response to a pervasive condescending haughtiness in many CF commenters responses. I'm very disappointed that CFers would attempt to shame and bully people who dare attempt a reasoned examination of the situation.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion..so I offer mine up. Feel free to disagree.

IMO, Rebel Heart disaster warrants the same level of "rescuing" as someone who invested in high risk stock and lost everything or had their house burn down. Provide basics like shelter, food, medicine, lots of hugs..until such time as they can support themselves. Anything more would diminish them as responsible adults..no matter how well meaning the bleeding heart donors.
While I agree with you that this incident will raise a lot questions and issues that warrant discussion I think most people on here currently are in the frame of thought that you can't examine what you don't know. I personally have not read any incident report that states the actual series of events as they unfolded on the Rebel Heart. Did you buy stock before reading quarterly reports from the company.?

As for people donating, it's actually none of your business how I or anyone else here chooses to spend their money. Would you like it if I told you how to invest your money.?
Old 09-04-2014, 07:02   #927
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Sure, I see no issue with that. Then if people wish to contribute their money without be asked, well thats their prerogative.

I agree there are serious issues raised in this thread. But I think its all too raw to discuss then now.

dave
Old 09-04-2014, 07:20   #928
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Now this makes me smile every time..........well done Dave.

“You can’t believe how bleeding scary the sea is! There’s, like, whales and storms and ****! They don’t bloody tell you that!”
― Libba Bray, Beauty Queens

Old 09-04-2014, 07:27   #929
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Now this makes me smile every time..........well done Dave.

“You can’t believe how bleeding scary the sea is! There’s, like, whales and storms and ****! They don’t bloody tell you that!”
― Libba Bray, Beauty Queens

what is even worse is its true
Old 09-04-2014, 07:28   #930

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
Just came from Charlotte's blog. There are almost as many messages on her blog now as there are in this thread, and mostly negative. So, I just submitted my supportive one. If you do the same, sign off with "fair winds" or "CU on CF" or something so she knows from whence you come.
I and a couple other people have spent way too much time over the last few days responding to the ugly people that have posted on their facebook page.

I'm pleased to say that 90% of the mean people took down their posts when their own nastiness and lack of compassion was pointed out to them. There are still a couple left, but then some people are just ugly.

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico