Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 09:37   #826

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Sailing Cowboy's video, awesome.

San Diego Mooring Company allowing banners for the returning crew of Rebel Heart, awesome.
Not my video. A gal named Cidnie Caroll made it. I copied and pasted from another FB forum to hear.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:45   #827

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Ha! On this forum, Rebel Heart is the norm, so we close ranks and ban all critics. I'm just saying, we shouldn't get all jumpy. A little perspective goes a long way.

Very well said. Sailing is our life and my "normal". now to live in the middle of a city trying to keep from getting run over, shot at, attacked, choking on smog, and every other calamity that goes with land living, to me that's a crazy place for any child!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:47   #828

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Thanks for that one Salty. I just read another lengthy piece on how we are over-protecting our children and producing a bunch of narcissist, but that's another story. It's worth reading if you have the time. The Overprotected Kid - The Atlantic
Good read. Long, but good.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:56   #829

Good morning all!

I joined the forum simply to thank your lovely group for the supportive level-headed commentary regarding the fate of the Rebel Heart and her crew.

I grew up weekending in the Santa Cruz harbor amid the smells of the ocean and diesel fuel. My father dreamt of taking our 40ft Ocean Alexander on a trip like the family of the s/v Rebel Heart. The Baja portion at least.

We flew cross county in a single prop Beechcraft. We snorkeled in Still Water Cove. We never did make it to Baja and we did have a few scares along the way, but I have never once wished my parents had not take the "risks" with our lives and deprived us of the wonderful adventures we had.

Thank you for giving Eric and Charlotte a safe place to land when they return. You are good people.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:06   #830
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Brilliant!

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 08-04-2014, 11:14   #831

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post

The incident itself does raise a lot of issues worthy of discussion on this forum. Some of them controversial, and worthy of honest debate. Some of these ideas might be worth starting other threads for.
I agree.

There are many differing opinions, and much to discuss. So many facts, and facets to be revealed, and lessons for us to learn. IMHO, posts should be appropriate for the events at the time. When they're being rescued is not the time to analyze or criticize (even though I think a lot of posts are not meant to be critical they often seem that way when typed because we can't see the concern in one's face or hear it in their voice.)

There is a time to support, a time to donate, a time for well wishes, a time to learn, perhaps even ask questions, in a polite manner. Quite often I think starting a fresh thread to discuss a particular aspect is a better idea than having a thread that starts out as a support thread devolve into a long analysis thread, that way the thread title accurately reflects the contents and people don't end up reading something far removed from the title.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:17   #832
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by campuscab View Post
Let's find a boat to replace Rebel Heart....Now that the family is safe let's figure out how to make sure they continue their dream.
whoooaaa...who's dream here?

What if their dream is to not get another boat again? This is their life and as much as the blog reader and cruising family THINKS they know them...we need to back off a bit and let them follow their path...not ours.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:20   #833

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I caught up in this thread. Seeing the picture of the ships wheel being transferred was interesting. I was wondering if this was some sort of tradition to take the wheel off a sinking ship or maybe something that he decided to do himself. It would make a really nice memorable keepsake.

Looking forward to seeing them back here on the board to get their story.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:24   #834
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

There are a few Hans Christian 38's up to a 42 in CA that could be bought I'm sure for under 100k since it looks like 10k will be already raised maybe someone talking to Eric to see if they want to have another go at it.

I bet we could raise 100k or so to get them a new used boat. Maybe a kickstarter campaign or something like that.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:27   #835
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Chill. Talk about imposing and shoving something down their throat. Who's in control? You or they? Let them decide if and when they ever want a boat again.

ps: Going out to sea with the press and public breathing down their neck is the last thing they need right now.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:31   #836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beersmith View Post
this whole ordeal has really changed my idea of what to write on my blog as well, particularly when I go out voyaging.

The internet can be a nasty place, and my decision to share experiences is very much in question now.
I've said it before, and I'll say it a million times.

Please don't ever let anyone else stifle you, discourage you, change your life or alter your course. Your actions, your blog, could very well be the catalyst that drastically alters someone else's life, inspires them to follow in your footsteps or other great adventures. Many people, including myself, read them, cherish them, learn HUGE amounts from them. Do your blog, but retain moderation rights. Negative people on the internet? Pfft. Not even a blip on the radar.

Just remind yourself, "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein.

He was a very perceptive man.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:39   #837

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Cruiser's Paparazzi, YUK! That would be horrible.

We donated, and it's up to THEM to do with it as they wish whether it's to buy a farm in Kansas or another boat.

Personally, I'd like to see a movie made about the experience.

Ayn Rand
Old 08-04-2014, 11:42   #838

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Midweek as reported by media, but as sailors we know the frigate cruises at 25 kt, so 600 nm daily runs. My rough guess is 1450 nm from point of rescue to SD.
Vandegrift will likely cruise at an economical speed...more likely 16-18 knots speed of advance. If 1450nm from rescue point to buoy 1SD that'll put the ship at the sea buoy late in the day on Thursday.

An alternative would be to debark them via LAMPS helo to NAS North Island early in the day.

Vandegrift could pull into Ballast Point vice 32nd St Naval Station...in which case the ship will never pass the riggers and miss the banner being flown.

Ship movements within 24 hours of arrival are unclassified and can be found by calling a local number in San Diego. Knowing the ETA would allow someone to carry the banner out past Ballast Point and parallel the ship in the channel to allow it to be seen.

I am sure news choppers will be flying to get footage and the banner would be a nice shot for them and almost certain to be shown on Eyewitness News (is that still around?)
Old 08-04-2014, 11:44   #839
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Chill. Talk about imposing and shoving something down their throat. Who's in control? You or they? Let them decide if and when they ever want a boat again.

ps: Going out to sea with the press and public breathing down their neck is the last thing they need right now.
That's why I said someone talk to Eric about it first.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:45   #840
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

I can already see the pressure building for Rebel Heart to take on some symbolic role in defense of the Cruising Community. There is this mindset here that says, "They need to get a new boat and continue where they left off to justify their dream, efforts". I think that is more to justify all of US. I can see the pressure building and that's a mistake to put on them.

Maybe they want this role and will knock a home run with it. BUT...maybe they won't buy another boat, maybe they don't want to go cruising again, maybe their Dream of Cruising is over? Just as those that think and said that cruising is crazy on all those new sites who in the hell are WE to put our opinions and pressures on them?

Time to back off folks and let them decide what life will bring for them next. Sure we can support them in it (and we will), but it is wrong to let our feeling/need to defend the cruising lifestyle put more pressure on them.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico