Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 07:54   #811
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
One things that seems so apparent to me is how afraid we are of "criticism". God forbid anyone here on CF, or in the media, or the general public (thank you Internet forums everywhere) criticize someone. We need to not give others opinion so much power over our lives. Even if you stay home on the couch you will be criticized. Worry more about what other "do" not so much what they "say".
+1

I may have this totally wrong but it seems to me that some people protect themselves from criticism by giving up their freedom. Just follow the rules and stick with the herd. While others want the freedom to be different but don't want to be criticized for it. If you strike out on your own, as Rebel Hear has done, then you will be subject to criticism. You can't have one without the other. That is how a society works, it strives to maintain the norm.

Not to say that CF shouldn't challenge that criticism, particularly the more moronic posts. However, I have only read two idiotic posts on this thread, and even the posts that are anything short of tender and sweet are outnumber 100 to 1 by the defenders of niceness.

There is a price to pay for everything in this world. I believe that is simply a fact of life. If you can't handle the criticism of some anonymous moron or a reasoned critique from a respectful sailor on this forum, or anywhere, then maybe you should be sitting home anonymously watching reality T.V. with me.

I have a feeling Rebel wouldn't be where he is (doing what I am afraid to do, sailing around the world), if he couldn't take the heat. And that is as it should be.

Great thread. Great posts on all sides.

Cheers to Rebel Heart! I'm jealous.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:04   #812

Thumbs up Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

What is the difference between living off in the wilds of Alaska and how Eric and family was living? Both were/are 100's of miles from help. One is on land with no roads, air only for help, one was on water with air and sea help. Almost no one thinks a baby living in the wilds of Alaska is wrong but they are day/weeks from help also! Go Eric, Charlotte, and family.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:23   #813

Boat: Leopard 47 owner's version
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

How crazy it to take your family to sea? Imagine the insanity.

As evidence you may recall the story about a group of refugees, many of them babies & young children packed into a leaking wooden boat, without electronics or even a working engine. It turns out they don't even have enough provisions on board to make it to their destination. After weeks at the mercy of the stormy seas with tattered sails, storm damage, and some deaths they finally made landfall.

America was never the same again, what insanity, children at sea, aspiring to a better "unconventional" way of life, totally crazy.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:24   #814
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Ha! On this forum, Rebel Heart is the norm, so we close ranks and ban all critics. I'm just saying, we shouldn't get all jumpy. A little perspective goes a long way.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:27   #815

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beersmith View Post
this whole ordeal has really changed my idea of what to write on my blog as well, particularly when I go out voyaging.

The internet can be a nasty place, and my decision to share experiences is very much in question now.
My thoughts exactly. Early on in my blog I outline some major restoration. If by chance something happened catastrophically, the armchair turdnibblers would nail me to the cross. Occasionally I get philosophical. I'm sure I would be painted as unstable.
Times have changed when, as a kid, we were encouraged to play outside and see life. Nowadays, we are told how dangerous life is and to stay indoors with the house bolted up and tear down what we are told is bad for us.
someone earlier on in this thread stated something like the Media putting the lazer light on an issue until it was taxed or regulated. Sadly, it's true.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 08-04-2014, 08:41   #816

The honest blogs are the only ones worth reading. If they're too edited, they turn into "look at me, living the great life" plastic blogs. Who cares if people don't agree with you? This isn't a world where everyone has to agree about everything, is it? Aren't we fighting very hard so everyone can have their own honest opinion?

If groupthink wins, what have we accomplished with this experiment in democracy? We're back to 18th century France.

If you have a 16 year old in your house, you'll likely notice a lot of selfies and texting going on, and possibly instagram and facebook accounts. The amount of time people spend on these is tremendous. One danger, of course, is that people start to try and edit their lives with these things, and leave out all the imperfections. Then they read about all the other perfect lives and feel less secure about theirs. This leads to a lot of depressed 15 year olds who then have to take medications for their unhappiness.

If you're willing to live in the public view, live in the public view. Be unapologetic about your choices. They're yours to make. It's OK for others to disagree.

Disclaimer: If you're a cannibal or doing something illegal, your blog will likely be used in a court of law against you.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:53   #817

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
What is the difference between living off in the wilds of Alaska and how Eric and family was living? Both were/are 100's of miles from help. One is on land with no roads, air only for help, one was on water with air and sea help. Almost no one thinks a baby living in the wilds of Alaska is wrong but they are day/weeks from help also! Go Eric, Charlotte, and family.
+1
The difference is one is a heritage / life style choice of homesteaders and Inuit people (respectable by the masses). The other is just crazy I mean you can't sink your home in the woods or get hit by a rogue wave. Remember:

Sailing with child: bad.

Homesteading with no 911 or flushing toilet in middle of wilderness with child: good.

(at least boats have a flushing toilet and not an out house)
Old 08-04-2014, 09:15   #818

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

More show of support.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:18   #819
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

[QUOTE=Sailing Cowboy;1512923]More show of support.

AWESOME!!! Thanks so much Cowboy!!
Old 08-04-2014, 09:22   #820

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit

I think it was said here that Eric and his family will be coming into San Diego today. I hope they are on the deck of that Navy ship and can see this as they come into the bay.
Kudos to San Diego Mooring Company for bending the rules about banners on boats on behalf of Rebel Heart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140407_195903B.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	79007  
Old 08-04-2014, 09:23   #821
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind River View Post
I think it was said here that Eric and his family will be coming into San Diego today. I hope they are on the deck of that Navy ship and can see this as they come into the bay.
Kudos to San Diego Mooring Company for bending the rules about banners on boats on behalf of Rebel Heart.
+1
Old 08-04-2014, 09:27   #822

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind River View Post

Oh, I had last hear "mid week': I am actually heading down there in a few minutes for a rigging survey. Even if the timing is right, won't see much from the dock, but maybe the rigger will get a nice view from the mast.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:31   #823

Boat: too many

Sailing Cowboy's video, awesome.

San Diego Mooring Company allowing banners for the returning crew of Rebel Heart, awesome.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:33   #824

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Oh, I had last hear "mid week': I am actually heading down there in a few minutes for a rigging survey. Even if the timing is right, won't see much from the dock, but maybe the rigger will get a nice view from the mast.
I have a 7 day window, then it has to come down.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:34   #825

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Midweek as reported by media, but as sailors we know the frigate cruises at 25 kt, so 600 nm daily runs. My rough guess is 1450 nm from point of rescue to SD.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico