Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 12:27   #676

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
When I did the trip from Galapagos to Marquesas, 3,200 nms, when we were in about the middle of the passage we were really a long way from shore, any shore.

Its about the only time I have got the heeby-geebys being on any boat. I was wondering what just one broken leg, or one major failure would do and how gangrene could set in before landfall. (Tiny spot of landfall!). For the rest of that watch I was holding onto every hand hold for grim death.

Its an f'ing long way into the middle of nowhere.

If the boat was cracking up, or some weird undiagnosable, unrepairable leak etc, or if I couldnt rely on the boat anymore it would be crazy to give up the offer of a nice warm ship.

That run to the marquesas, either from Mexico or Panama/Galapagos is the longest stretch of water normal cruisers do. And when you are in the middle of it the safety of the world is, and feels, a long way away.

That being said, I would do everything I can to get Sea Life home if I thought I could do it.

I agree that an abandoned boat MUST be scuttled!
Excellent point...
Old 07-04-2014, 12:38   #677

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

I'm not sure if we can believe all the media says, it's been reported on Yahoo UK that the boat has been sunk.
In time truth will out.
I'm sure you will all join me in wishing Eric and his family all good wishes for their safety. God Bless and watch over them.
Irish Rambler and family.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:52   #678
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

I'm not sure if this will be the case for them or not. But several years back when we sailed my boat to Croatia I know the insurance I added for the crossing covered more than the actual market and appraised value of the boat. If we had gone down by the head the pay out would have been close to double what I could sell her for. I hope this is the case for them.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:59   #679
cruiser

I think it's been stated they were uninsured.
Old 07-04-2014, 13:01   #680

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
I think it's been stated they were uninsured.
No, it has been speculated, not stated.
Old 07-04-2014, 13:02   #681

Didn't we already hear from someone who was in Mexico with them saying they were 98% sure they did not have insurance?
Old 07-04-2014, 13:03   #682
cruiser

Well someone stated it and it was most likely speculation. But it would par for the corse with the younger cruising crowd (which I am part of).
Old 07-04-2014, 13:04   #683
cruiser

Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

That's what I thought.
Old 07-04-2014, 13:10   #684

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Whoever writes a book or script for their story just imagine the wealth of viewpoints that they can get from this thread.
The ships wheel really hit me hard.
This is something terrible to experience.
Old 07-04-2014, 13:27   #685

Yeah, not sure if they could insure that old boat, for that purpose, with their experience. Even if, then abandon or sink it?..hmm suspect their aint gonna be a payout! I suppose everyone is waiting with baited breath to hear the real story.

Old 07-04-2014, 13:27   #686

Boat: 45ft Ketch

The ships wheel photo was magic. I think he'll get another boat. These guys have got character.
Old 07-04-2014, 13:33   #687

Boat: Hunter 410

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2...m/?ref=fashion

I was happy to see KJ's conclusion in the Motherlode blog in the Times this afternoon. Hoping for the best for Rebel Heart and her family.
Old 07-04-2014, 13:34   #688

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I'm quoting myself which is a first but makes sense in this case:

From all the reactions I get in this thread and outside of it too, I clearly see that many understand what I mean but that there is a substantial group that doesn't. So let me clarify:

- I do not challenge Eric's decision to abandon the boat. It most probably is the correct decision. That is why I wrote that I "hope to hear the facts". For now, I am assuming that the boat was good enough to sail but that he determined that his wife could not handle the situation with the girls on her own, which makes it a choice between boat and wife which is a clear decision. Don't forget that Charlotte was seasick which is about the worst thing that can happen to you on a passage. People quickly become emotional wrecks when seasick. It does not matter much how big the boat is; you can get very seasick on an aircraft carrier too.

- Abandoning or scuttling a boat is a dramatic event. If the boat can still be sailed it is worse than that: I find it a shameful act, even if there's no other option. Where I come from, the Navy would have put a crew on the sailboat to bring her in and every crew member would be jumping to get selected for the job. That's how it should be done. It's been some time that I was in the armed forces and also since I emigrated from my home country, but I still like to think the Royal Navies from Holland and England would bring the boat back that way. Nostalgia? may be.

- Down with the masses that scream about it being wrong taking babies and youngsters to sea etc. My father was born on a ship, how about that for being irresponsible in their ignorant views?! It's why I referred to "World War Z": they are a dumbed down mass of couch dwelling, deteriorating flesh. They have lost all hope for themselves, but are quick to slash at others who are actually living and going after their goals, because that is all the excitement left for them. They don't care about other peoples feelings at all; the thought doesn't even come up with them.

- My rant at landlubbers who think it's fine or even smart to abandon a boat was addressed to that same group of couch dwelling commenters. Not to Rebel Heart crew or CF members of-course. I don't think Eric will think it was particularly fine or smart to abandon his boat; at best it was a thing that had to be done as he did not have other options left. A decision like that can mean financial ruin. May be commenters like that so that this family ends up just like themselves, on a couch.

- All this does not mean that I think Eric did everything right. I wrote before that I think errors have been made, but those errors would be made earlier. I first was under the impression that the salmonella outbreak happened aboard and pointed at the provisioning or food preparation, but now I hear the salmonella poisoning already happened before they left and this may be a relapse or something totally different.

We don't know that. What I do know is that Charlotte should have been okay'ish using seasickness meds instead of being seriously ill and an emotional wreck. I base that on her blog posts that were quoted here. Also, the decision to leave port with a crew that's not ready or able, may have been wrong. But this is all speculation. I only write about it because these are often made mistakes and many on CF are here to learn; I also still learn, no matter how long I've been sailing already. Every time we hoist a sail, we learn. It was not long ago that there was a discussion on CF about long passages and I stressed on the importance of food, the exhaustion, the watch keeping schedules etc. All that is part of it. I know this well because I didn't always do this right myself and would again if I don't keep the importance in mind at all times.

Glad you clarified, as I was beginning to wonder myself about your intentions on that post. I'm back to thinking we are on the same wavelength again. Whew!, sure didn't want my impression of you tarnished because I've always respected your lifestyle and boat choices.
Old 07-04-2014, 13:39   #689

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Another rescued on the way to NZ - Canadian solo sailor.

'Mercy dash' to help solo sailor headed to NZ - National - NZ Herald News
Old 07-04-2014, 13:45   #690

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

I've read most of this thread and I apologize in advance if I am merely saying "me too" to something that has been said already but I haven't seen it explicitly stated. I've read a few accounts of ocean disasters and I think it is generally agreed that every disaster starts well in advance of the actual climax and eventually develops its own momentum which leads inevitably to the disastrous climax. Sometimes it takes only one questionable decision and sometimes it takes a multitude but eventually the die is cast and there is only one possible outcome. I hope when this is all behind them that Eric and Charlotte are brave and honest enough to come forward and talk about the real causes of their disaster.

It also needs to be said that this Cruisers Forum group is a pretty good bunch. This is a remarkably long running thread and it hasn't degenerated into vitriol or name calling as it quickly would have on most forums if such a traumatic event was being discussed.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico