Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 06:52   #631

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceannavigator View Post
I'd have to agree. People who are embarking on a cruise around the world with a family in a Hans Christian sailboat are by no means in need of financial help.

Every time this happens, it bothers me a little knowing there are people out there who are hungry that actually need help, yet nobody considers this. People who are struggling to afford food and clothing due to illness. Instead, money is given to advance people's lives who are not even in actual need of help.
i guess it bothers me little how you feel on how i or probably most of us spend or give away our money. Id suggest if you feel this way you should sell your boat and all your belongings and give them to those who need it more, oh yet i see you dont have a boat. surprise.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:55   #632

Boat: Vancouver 27

The Kaufmans strike me as competent, articulate people full of grit and integrity. Amongst the barrage of negativity from the media and the general public, it's somewhat comforting from my armchair to know the Kaufman's are the one's defending the lifestyle against all the vitriol.

Only the best to them.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:07   #633

Boat: Morgan 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I'd let my wife and kids off and refuse my rescue

Wow... I understanding saving the boat, but he's not a days journey out at sea, there like 800nm... His little girl "baby" is sick!!! I have a little girl, "daddy's little girl" The what if of her sickness getting worse while your sailing a boat back to shore and not being their to comfort your wife and other little girl is "Just Stupid" NO BOAT, HOUSE,CAR or ANY OTHER MATERIALISTIC OBJECT can REPLACE (FAMILY)!!!! If they chose they can buy anther boat, you can't replace the baby!!! Glad there safe...
Old 07-04-2014, 07:20   #634

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

If anyone feels compelled to contribute, you might consider making a purchase at Charlottes Etsy account.
This may relieve any fear that they would not receive the funds and also make the Kaufmans feel better about accepting "donations".
Old 07-04-2014, 07:26   #635

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

A new photo of the transfer:

Baby improving after ocean rescue by US Navy

Old 07-04-2014, 07:41   #636

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Eric, Charlotte and family I am so glad you are safe and together. My thanks also go to the men and women of the California Air Guard, the Coast Guard, and the Navy.

Your family is an inspiration for people who have the courage to choose a life that may be different than the norm. I hope you find happiness and continue to enjoy life's adventure.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2014, 07:46   #637
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Looks like MarkJ called it correctly. Eric's passing the ship's wheel over to the Navy RIB. It kinda chokes me up to see that.

(click on the image to enlarge it)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ships wheel.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	78960  
Old 07-04-2014, 07:47   #638
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

well, this sure simplifies the decision as whether to keep our boat USCG / US flagged or not.

I certainly do not want some bozo in the US Navy or Coast Guard having the authority to sink my boat in international waters for their own convenience.

I've worked with the Navy, and with the Coast Guard, and they're as nice a bunch of guys as any group of teenagers who have been armed and trained by the US government.

But that's basically what they are.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:49   #639
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

interesting the rescue crew are wearing helmets.
Is that a new thing?

Do the different colours mean anything?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 07-04-2014, 07:51   #640

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I don't mind a good debate HH, but what exactly are we debating here? We have very few facts, and we won't get them till Eric shows up an tells them to us. Debating conjecture is just a waste of time. (IMHO)
This story, which I first read about on a news aggregator site over the weekend, actually made the Canadian national radio news yesterday.

I'm glad they're safe, but clearly, very few of the questions I would have of such an event are going to be answered in the typical media coverage.

Until then...
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:57   #641

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceannavigator View Post
I'd have to agree. People who are embarking on a cruise around the world with a family in a Hans Christian sailboat are by no means in need of financial help.

Every time this happens, it bothers me a little knowing there are people out there who are hungry that actually need help, yet nobody considers this. People who are struggling to afford food and clothing due to illness. Instead, money is given to advance people's lives who are not even in actual need of help.
Another example of someone making a rash statement based on conjured up knowledge. An older HC36 is a low dollar boat. Especially during the past recession when Eric bought her. The vessel had very little in the way of frills. He had a minimal watermaker and simple (cheap) navigation capabilities. They were young people going cruising.
Maybe get off your soapbox and show a little compassion to soemone actually living a dream rather than pontificating on the state of poverty.
We had a similar fund raiser in La Paz this year for a cruiser who went out to rescue another cruiser who fell out of his inflatable. In the process the inflatable turned around and badly gashed his leg, eventually requiring an amputation. We raised a substantial amount of money for him as medical bills were expensive.
Should we have ignored him because he was living a dream?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 07-04-2014, 07:58   #642

Boat: Catalina 30

Eric and Charlotte, all I can say is I am elated you and your family are safe, there have been many people praying for you over the last few days. I am also very sorry for the loss of your vessel. I know it was your home and dream, and I pray that you will one day be able to continue on your wonderful quest. In the mean time just remember that you made all the right decisions for your family and that you can still hold your children and kiss them good night because of making those decisions.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:01   #643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
well, this sure simplifies the decision as whether to keep our boat USCG / US flagged or not.

I certainly do not want some bozo in the US Navy or Coast Guard having the authority to sink my boat in international waters for their own convenience.

I've worked with the Navy, and with the Coast Guard, and they're as nice a bunch of guys as any group of teenagers who have been armed and trained by the US government.

But that's basically what they are.
Seems to me they just rescued one of our friends, so you might want to be a little bit kinder when you speak of them, at least today.

They didn't sink the boat for their convenience. They presumably sank the boat because it would be a shipping hazard. I'd withhold judgement until we hear the real first-hand story.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:02   #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Is that a new thing?

No, it isn't something new(depends on your definition of new), and yes the different colors signify what each one of them are trained to do and what their individual responsibilities are.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:02   #645
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Is that a new thing?

Yes and Yes, when I was on the EOD teams we wore helmets in the RIB's right up until they put the dive hat on us. Unless we were in dry suits we stayed in PFD's as well.

The Colours designate the job/status in their respective rate.

Quite a few of the guys I served with should have been required to wear their helmets on land as well.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico