Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 05:10   #616
cruiser

Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

I'll say it again, wouldn't you expect them to have a huge kitty if they were going to sail around the world ? Not that we shouldn't all give a little something to help out, but I can't imagine that there isn't a budget for this RTW trip.

Several folks here seem to be convinced that speculation or general "what if" talk is somehow negative or not supportive. It's all a difference of perspective on the world. To the hippie-ish "every puppy can be saved" crowd anything other than "he did the right thing, glad their safe, family is everything" is the only acceptable thing to say. Well for others, and we support Eric fully, but the drama is basically over and our curious minds are going to talk about every last bolt on that ship. Every detail, of every drip of seawater coming in. This will go on till we know for sure and than again when we do know. Plus it's the damn internet , this is no close knit group of friends. People will have massively different views.
What we don't need is the repeated assertion that this future conversation is negative. I personally hate when the word "negative" is used to stifle conversation about the details of a highly debated/ talked about issue. By us grinding out the little "what ifs" no way infers that we dont support Rebel Hesrt 100%.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:20   #617
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I don't mind a good debate HH, but what exactly are we debating here? We have very few facts, and we won't get them till Eric shows up an tells them to us. Debating conjecture is just a waste of time. (IMHO)
Old 07-04-2014, 05:25   #618
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Reflecting back on much of the negativity stemming from people with not only little to no sailing experience but what seems to be a gross lack of objective thinking skills serve as a reminder of the types of personalities we are trying to avoid by being cruisers.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:28   #619
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
I'll say it again, wouldn't you expect them to have a huge kitty if they were going to sail around the world ? Not that we shouldn't all give a little something to help out, but I can't imagine that there isn't a budget for this RTW trip.

Several folks here seem to be convinced that speculation or general "what if" talk is somehow negative or not supportive. It's all a difference of perspective on the world. To the hippie-ish "every puppy can be saved" crowd anything other than "he did the right thing, glad their safe, family is everything" is the only acceptable thing to say. Well for others, and we support Eric fully, but the drama is basically over and our curious minds are going to talk about every last bolt on that ship. Every detail, of every drip of seawater coming in. This will go on till we know for sure and than again when we do know. Plus it's the damn internet , this is no close knit group of friends. People will have massively different views.
What we don't need is the repeated assertion that this future conversation is negative. I personally hate when the word "negative" is used to stifle conversation about the details of a highly debated/ talked about issue. By us grinding out the little "what ifs" no way infers that we dont support Rebel Hesrt 100%.
I'd have to agree. People who are embarking on a cruise around the world with a family in a Hans Christian sailboat are by no means in need of financial help.

Every time this happens, it bothers me a little knowing there are people out there who are hungry that actually need help, yet nobody considers this. People who are struggling to afford food and clothing due to illness. Instead, money is given to advance people's lives who are not even in actual need of help.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:29   #620

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
From Eric's blog in 2012:

"Our financial track hasn't gone as well as we'd like, but considering what the financial and unemployment markets have been like, I'm pretty happy."

"There are people sailing the world's oceans on the cheap but if you look at even a meager vessel (I'd put us in that category), it costs a lot of money. Just routine engine work and rigging, nothing fancy and not repairing anything that was necessarily broken, will top out around $10,000. Bottom paint, thru hulls, seacocks, basic electronics, and some used sails bring the refit costs up around $20,000 - $30,000. That's a lot of money. Granted, we saved up for this trip for years, but it's pretty impressive watching that much cash slip through your fingers. Even more impressive is knowing that you could hit a rock and sink the whole damn boat, making it a really fancy artificial reef. Money is relative of course. To one person $10,000 is pocket change, to someone else it's a life-altering sum of money."

Instead of imagining or assuming what I would expect to be true, I just checked to see what Eric had to say about finances on his blog and the two quotes from Eric's blog just before they left San Diego that I've cited here don't give me the impression that they are exactly rolling in dough, more like they were on what I'd consider a shoestring budget, with Eric intending to earn enough money to keep them going as they went along.

They are not independently wealthy and after just having lost their home and all their belongings, I'm sure they will appreciate any expressions of support, financial or otherwise.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:36   #621
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceannavigator View Post
I'd have to agree. People who are embarking on a cruise around the world with a family in a Hans Christian sailboat are by no means in need of financial help.

Every time this happens, it bothers me a little knowing there are people out there who are hungry that actually need help, yet nobody considers this. People who are struggling to afford food and clothing due to illness. Instead, money is given to advance people's lives who are not even in actual need of help.
How do you know that the same people offering assistance here don't also give to other's in need?
Old 07-04-2014, 05:40   #622

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I can tell you as a retired military person, that this is what they train for, it's in a way excellent training as it's a real live situation and not just an exercise. So if your going to burn the aircraft time and fuel anyway, why not do it in a manner the benefits the public?
Used to be all over the country US Army Medivac aircraft were used in what was called the MAST program, similar situation, you had the military aircraft and personnel whose job was to treat and transport wounded soldiers, why not use them for automobile accidents etc? What killed that program was the Hospitals own Life flight helicopter simply couldn't compete with the military Medivac aircraft and couldn't make money when the Military was around doing it for free.

Thank you! The CNN site and other online forums and websites are full of vitriolic posts about the supposed waste of tax dollars. It would be great if you could school these people.

Lots of people are criticizing based on their decision to bring a baby aboard on this passage. Regardless, serious illness can occur out of the blue with older children or adults. I nearly died at age 11 thanks to a sudden ruptured appendix (and the same has happened to adults I know)... bad things can happen suddenly whether you're on land or at sea, and when the worst happens a rescue becomes warranted.

Sending positive thoughts to the Kaufman family.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:43   #623

Boat: Beneteau 473

Wow, we just got into port and can't believe the news! We saw it on MSN and then ran straight here. During our passage, while bashing around in 6-8 foot seas with a 7 second period and 20+ knot winds for the better part of 24 hours, we were actually talking about Rebel Heart -- imagining what a wonderful time Eric and Charlotte were having sailing peacefully downwind and playing with the kids. What a shock!

Eric and Charlotte, we are so thankful that you and the girls are safe and that Lyra is getting better. We were sad to hear Rebel Heart was sunk and you have lost your home. You have all of our very best wishes and some hugs for the kids.

Atoll, thanks for being who you are! The world needs more of you. Also, thanks to all of your cohorts who were volunteering to help as well.

Robyn (& Barry)
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 07-04-2014, 06:06   #624
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceannavigator View Post

They were working cruisers. Eric even talks about working while they were on this last passage on the blog! Someone who needs to work while on passage probably does not have a huge kitty stashed away. They just lost everything, please donate!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:08   #625

Boat: None yet

Washington Post story, with a picture of the family in the rescue duck.

Also some comments included from the Facebook page.

Family defends taking infant to sea following rescue by Navy task force
Old 07-04-2014, 06:09   #626
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

BTW, I blew up the rescue pic. That is definitely the ships wheel Eric is handing to the rescuers! What a guy, they tell him he can have one bag and he takes the wheel. Poor bastard, he must have really loved that boat. I truly feel for him on that one. Must have been tough to watch her go down.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:31   #627

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch

Waking up this morning and finding out that s/v Rebel Heart's crew was safe and sound was great news...then seconds later understanding s/v Rebel Heart was scuttled was heart wrenching.

Yes, the most important priority - their health and lives - have been protected.

They have also suffered a great loss. Vessels become more than just 'things' when they are your home and they carry you safely over great depths of water. They harbor dreams and futures and love. It cannot be minimized the loss they are feeling and the deep sadness I imagine they feel in the depths of their hearts and souls right now at having to have made the decision.

The Ocean and navigating on Her has to be one of the most dynamic environments upon which I have ever lived. It demands of us so much mentally and physically...affects us at such deep levels...and can at any moment demand us to make difficult choices.

It can elicit the most primitive survival instincts deep with in us. All the while, a kaleidoscope of water, boat, and human psychology...

What I am trying to express here is that this is not an easily quantifiable situation...we do not know all the variables involved...and even when we are informed by Charlotte and Eric, if we are...we still were not them out there at that very time making the best decisions based on ever changing variables...

I think so often on this forum we want so desperately to learn, and analyze and somehow try to have a possible edge when we get out there in the Ocean - and while other's trials and experiences can sometimes teach us...every situation is different, weather conditions always change, and never will it be exactly the same scenario...ever...and that is part of why many of us go out there...because we sail our own sail...always...it is just the nature of the exercise.

Charlotte, Eric, and the Girls...I am glad you are all doing well, that Lyra is improving...and that you made the decision best for you all at the time...and I understand none of the process was simple...I bleed for you that you lost your s/v Rebel Heart and that you had to make that decision. I am proud of you for remaining one Crew, strong in your Solidarity. Her Spirit will live on in all of your hearts and in the Soul of the Ocean...Thank you for being Brave and Loving Parents...and teaching the World that Life is not meant to be lived from a couch...
Old 07-04-2014, 06:36   #628

Most comments on the major sites about any topic are at best mis-informed and at worst completely bat-s*** crazy.

Reading through CNN or even ESPN makes me lose points from my IQ.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:40   #629

Boat: 45' CC ketch

I wonder if the link to fund rising could be made sticky or something, or it will get buried under dozens of new posts.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:49   #630

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53

As a fellow sailor and soon to be cruiser, I feel the need to express to the members of this forum kudos for keeping comments mostly positive regarding Rebel Heart.

I too have followed the blog for a couple of years and do not hold it against anyone who wishes to follow their dreams. I will never condemn anyone for a chosen lifestyle. Unfortunately the life style we, and others, have chosen comes into question when something of this magnitude happens. The decision to sail RTW with young children aboard has now become a fiercely debated topic. Now doubt this will continue for some time.

I wish to express my deepest gratitude to all the members of the rescue teams. It makes me proud to be an American tax payer when I witness men jumping out of a plane into the ocean to go, without question or regard of their own safety, to the aid of a young child.

As fellow sailors we are all obligated to help a vessel in distress. I would never question having to go to the aid of another vessel. I am certain Eric and Charlotte would have sailed miles to assist another sailor. Unfortunately, it was them needing the support. I am gratified they had the necessary equipment aboard to communicate their dire needs.

When an event like this happens and everybody comes out unscathed, all the people involved did everything right.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico