Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 00:35   #586

Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsigler View Post
We know for sure this is legit and going straight to them?

I know Eric, and it won't take him more than a second or so to figure out who I am based on my user name, so I'm staunchly on his side and not trying to cast doubt in any way, I just want to make sure if I donate to this it will definitely get to him.
It's legit. I just donated. The funds go straight to an account named Charlotte Kaufman.
Old 07-04-2014, 00:35   #587

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

I read this thread mostly from top to bottom.

Too many posters in this thread have no character, little honor, and almost no knowledge...AND, you may think you are cute and/or funny, but you are NOT.

You know who you are...

Bill
Old 07-04-2014, 00:35   #588

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
It's legit. I just donated. The funds go straight to an account named Charlotte Kaufman.
Yeah I noticed that too, goes to her paypal it seems, awesome.
Old 07-04-2014, 00:43   #589

I read a little bit on that site, they charge 5%, plus 2.9% payment fee, plus 30 cents per transaction. It adds up after a while.

My friends and I have done a few fundraisers using Paypal. We donated as friends, and no fees were deducted. One of them was our friend whose car blew up. Single mother, no money. We donated $5900 and she bought a Toyota truck with it. It was really gratifying to see her driving around in a truck that looked brand new!
Old 07-04-2014, 00:46   #590

Quote:
I read a little bit on that site, they charge 5%, plus 2.9% payment fee, plus 30 cents per transaction. It adds up after a while.

My friends and I have done a few fundraisers using Paypal. We donated as friends, and no fees were deducted. One of them was our friend whose car blew up. Single mother, no money. We donated $5900 and she bought a Toyota truck with it. It was really gratifying to see her driving around in a truck that looked brand new!
Still not terrible for an easily sharable link with a blurb and all. I don't really care as long as they get the vast majority of my money.
Old 07-04-2014, 00:54   #591

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
I read this thread mostly from top to bottom.

Too many posters in this thread have no character, little honor, and almost no knowledge...AND, you may think you are cute and/or funny, but you are NOT.

You know who you are...

Bill
Wow, sounds ominous.

If I can make you laugh, do I get a prize?
Old 07-04-2014, 00:56   #592

Quote:
Still not terrible for an easily sharable link with a blurb and all. I don't really care as long as they get the vast majority of my money.
Agreed!

Way better than the Red Cross's overhead.
Old 07-04-2014, 00:59   #593

Quote:
Agreed!

Way better than the Red Cross's overhead.
Yeah in terms of charity it's not bad.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:03   #594

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Quote:
Yah and I'm sure just seeing the number of supporters who are prepared to put real cash to back up their good will is going to help against the tide of judgmentalism.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:13   #595

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Consider Rebel Heart's situation:

He and Charlotte have lost their home, and have to at the least postpone their dream. Thanks be that Lyra is doing well. We hope for continued improvement.

Please, please, give them some space to process what has happened to them. For those who are land bound and know not the sea: please just give them some space. They have had to deal with a major and extreme event in their lives. UNLIKE OTHERS, I PLEAD NOW FOR LEAVING THEM ALONE TO GET ON WITH THEIR LIVES. THEY ARE NOT TV PERSONALITIES, THEY ARE FOLKS AND DESERVE SPACE.

And as far as donations go, no one here has mentioned that perhaps they want to get their finances together on their own. I don't know. But if you consider how difficult it is to see your dreams sunk, do you not think Eric might want to handle this all himself without *help* from a public forum?

Please give these guys a break. They are suffering. Please wait for them to tell us what they want.

Ann
Old 07-04-2014, 01:20   #596
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

He and Charlotte have lost their home, and have to at the least postpone their dream. Thanks be that Lyra is doing well. We hope for continued improvement.

Please, please, give them some space to process what has happened to them. For those who are land bound and know not the sea: please just give them some space. They have had to deal with a major and extreme event in their lives. UNLIKE OTHERS, I PLEAD NOW FOR LEAVING THEM ALONE TO GET ON WITH THEIR LIVES. THEY ARE NOT TV PERSONALITIES, THEY ARE FOLKS AND DESERVE SPACE.

And as far as donations go, no one here has mentioned that perhaps they want to get their finances together on their own. I don't know. But if you consider how difficult it is to see your dreams sunk, do you not think Eric might want to handle this all himself without *help* from a public forum?

Please give these guys a break. They are suffering. Please wait for them to tell us what they want.

Ann
Thanks Ann, that's exactly what I was thinking too

This thread is fast losing any character it started out with so let me just post:

My thoughts are with Eric and his family at this trying time

&

Thanks to Atoll (and others) for attempting to take positive action, sorry it didn't work out.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 07-04-2014, 01:22   #597

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau View Post
Yah and I'm sure just seeing the number of supporters who are prepared to put real cash to back up their good will is going to help against the tide of judgmentalism.
My thoughts exactly, more than the money I just wanted to show my support.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:26   #598

Quote:

Ann
I more or less agree, but like it or not they're coming home to a lot of attention, some of it negative.

I donated just to show them that they are not alone and have supporters.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:35   #599

Quote:

Ann

I certainly hope no one is planning on bothering them, that would be extremely rude.

I'm kind of perplexed at the certaintly that you are posting their wishes. I'm not sure where you got your information, but Andrea Stephens apparently was in touch with them and setup the Fundrazr campaign for them. The money is going directly to an account with Charlotte Kaufman's name on it. It certainly looks to me like this donation campaign has their blessing. How else would they be able to access her paypal account?

As for waiting for them to tell us what they want, if they were raised anything like me, they won't ask for anything. If concerned people wanted to help out, I wouldn't stop them, but I'd never ask for donations. That just seems so...

uncouth.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:53   #600

Quote:
I certainly hope no one is planning on bothering them, that would be extremely rude.

I'm kind of perplexed at the certaintly that you are posting their wishes. I'm not sure where you got your information, but Andrea Stephens apparently was in touch with them and setup the Fundrazr campaign for them. The money is going directly to an account with Charlotte Kaufman's name on it. It certainly looks to me like this donation campaign has their blessing. How else would they be able to access her paypal account?

As for waiting for them to tell us what they want, if they were raised anything like me, they won't ask for anything. If concerned people wanted to help out, I wouldn't stop them, but I'd never ask for donations. That just seems so...

uncouth.
Yeah I very seriously doubt they'll ask for anything. I'd just like them to have some good news/support when they get back home.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico