Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 17:12   #496

Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
It helps with job hunting when starting over with essentially nothing, as compared, say, to a couple of idiots covered with tatoos with pins in their faces and other places.

They are also bright and articulate IMO. Need that explained too?

Here's one for you Max: What does all that negativity get ya?
Who was being negative? I simply asked for clarification.

I agree with you, it probably is a lot easier to find a job if you're bright, articulate and not covered in piercings.

What you originally said was attractive, which sounds really shallow. I won't bother to respond to your personal jab.
Old 06-04-2014, 17:17   #497

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
The only sources getting information from Eric and Charlotte are the National Guard (they are on the boat) and the family (they are personally talking to Eric and Charlotte). When the people on the boat say there is no steering, it does not make a lot of sense to assume they have steering.

I have no idea what condition the boat or steering is in, but I do not think it is reasonable to start criticizing the people who are actually on the boat for not "sailing the boat home" when the only reliable source of information available at this point states the boat is disabled.

I have not seen any reports that the boat lost steering. Instead, I have seen a report that it lost the ability to "steer itself." That, combined with reports that they got the motor running and headed back towards Mexico to rendezvous with the ship, leads me to believe there is steering. What the may have lost is the autopilot, or perhaps there's a problem with the windvane.

I also read an idiot report claiming sailboats cannot steer once they "lose power," and the context seemed to refer to motor power.

Between an ignorant media, unsupportive family members, and a state full of idiotic politicians, I wouldn't be surprised to see cruising outlawed for safety reasons!
Old 06-04-2014, 17:27   #498

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

STOP THE MADNESS! Seems we are spiraling into the hate posts that most are all complaining about.

FOCUS. Wait for facts. Offer encouragement. Offer creative ways to help and assist.
Old 06-04-2014, 17:27   #499

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbaffoh View Post
Between an ignorant media, unsupportive family members, and a state full of idiotic politicians, I wouldn't be surprised to see cruising outlawed for safety reasons!
Please don't give the lawmakers any ideas. They seem to have enough silly ones of their own.

Best wishes and positive vibes to the captain and crew of Rebel Heart.
Old 06-04-2014, 17:33   #500

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Who was being negative? I simply asked for clarification.

I agree with you, it probably is a lot easier to find a job if you're bright, articulate and not covered in piercings.

What you originally said was attractive, which sounds really shallow. I won't bother to respond to your personal jab.
Attractive can seem shallow if you assume it only refers to being physically beautiful, but it can also mean other things. Someone with a kind heart, a positive outlook on life reflected in the smile on their face, and who is always eager to take on new challenges and help others is a person I think most would consider attractive no matter what their physical appearance was. Attractiveness is about a lot more than what People magazine would have you believe.
Old 06-04-2014, 17:40   #501
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

,bad news i'm afraid from erics sister

I landed a couple of hours ago and I have just now finished interviews. I have more in a little bit also BEST NEWS! I talk to Charlotte for a while. Lyra is so much better. Everyone is resting aboard the ship. REBEL HEART HAS BEEN SUNK. They did not have a choice. Charlotte and Eric where able to take three bags off the boat. The are going to be helicoptered in Tuesday Morning. They are asking for a couple of days of rest and then they will make announcement and speak to media. I will be online later to help get things together. Thank you again for all the love and support. Charlotte is truly touched by all the kindness.
Like ·

edit thanks for all the support and well wishers.
if anybody feels like sending them a donation in lieu of support in their time of need they can here.
https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/djWq3...5f0f88cab35adb
Old 06-04-2014, 17:43   #502

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbaffoh View Post
I have not seen any reports that the boat lost steering. Instead, I have seen a report that it lost the ability to "steer itself."
Some of the news reports are repeating that they lost steering. Rebel Heart has a wind vane, but all this speculation is pretty pointless. Eric is a competent mariner, and I doubt would have abandoned his vessel without good reason. The latest news report is that it was sinking when they boarded the navy vessel.

Prayers for their little girl - they can always get a new sailboat.
Old 06-04-2014, 17:48   #503

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I just saw this on their facebook site from Sariah.
"I landed a couple of hours ago and I have just now finished interviews. I have more in a little bit also BEST NEWS! I talk to Charlotte for a while. Lyra is so much better. Everyone is resting aboard the ship. REBEL HEART HAS BEEN SUNK. They did not have a choice. Charlotte and Eric where able to take three bags off the boat. The are going to be helicoptered in Tuesday Morning. They are asking for a couple of days of rest and then they will make announcement and speak to media. I will be online later to help get things together. Thank you again for all the love and support. Charlotte is truly touched by all the kindness".
I hope this is not true.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 06-04-2014, 17:49   #504
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Yup its gone. *sigh.

The family of San Diego couple Charlotte and Eric Kaufman boarded the USS Vandegrift, about 900 miles off the Mexican coast, at about 8 a.m. PDT, Coast Guard Petty Officer 2nd Class Barry Bena told The Post.

After this morning’s rescue, the Kaufman’s ship was scuttled.
“On every attempt to start it, it caused the vessel to take on more water,” Bena said. “If it was left out there, it’d be a hazard.”

the NYPost is like THE SUN or THE MAIL…They DONT LIE

Parachute rescuers, Navy warship save sick 1-year-old girl | New York Post
Old 06-04-2014, 17:49   #505

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Here's the whole press release: Eric and Charlotte Kaufman have issued the following statement from aboard the US Navy Oliver Hazard Perry class Frigate USS Vandegrift (FFG 48):

"First, we would like to express how grateful we are to the men and women of the Coast Guard, California Air National Guard and Navy who rescued our family, especially the pararescuemen and crew of USS Vandegrift. We are very thankful to be safe and well. We also appreciate all the concern, thoughts and prayers of everyone back home for the health of our daughter Lyra. She is doing well now, and her medical condition continues to improve.

"We understand there are those who question our decision to sail with our family, but please know that this is how our family has lived for seven years, and when we departed on this journey more than a year ago, we were then and remain today confident that we prepared as well as any sailing crew could. The ocean is one of the greatest forces of nature, and it always has the potential to overcome those who live on or near it. We are proud of our choices and our preparation, and while we are disappointed that we lost our sailboat and our home, we remain grateful for those who came to our aid and those family and friends who continue to encourage and support us.

"Thank you."

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-04-2014, 17:49   #506

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
,bad news i'm afraid from erics sister

I landed a couple of hours ago and I have just now finished interviews. I have more in a little bit also BEST NEWS! I talk to Charlotte for a while. Lyra is so much better. Everyone is resting aboard the ship. REBEL HEART HAS BEEN SUNK. They did not have a choice. Charlotte and Eric where able to take three bags off the boat. The are going to be helicoptered in Tuesday Morning. They are asking for a couple of days of rest and then they will make announcement and speak to media. I will be online later to help get things together. Thank you again for all the love and support. Charlotte is truly touched by all the kindness.
Like ·

edit thanks for all the support and well wishers.
if anybody feels like sending them a donation in lieu of support in their time of need they can here.
https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/djWq3...5f0f88cab35adb
So unbelievably sad. I am so so sorry that they are going through this.
Old 06-04-2014, 17:50   #507

Boat: hunter 376

Good news to hear the family is safe, and the child is recovering. As to the sinking of the vessel, I quote the 2 rules:
#1 Don't sweat the small stuff.
#2 Its all small stuff.
Old 06-04-2014, 17:55   #508

Boat: Cheoy Lee

Charlotte from Rebel Heart contacted her sister, Sariah and stated that RH was scuttled by the Navy due to a leak on the boat which made it a navigational hazard. Family are all fine including Lyra. Steaming toward San Diego.
Old 06-04-2014, 17:58   #509

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

What a shame to have it go down. Having lost a house due to fire and many memmories last month I feel for the loss of shelter and comfort.

Best hopes and wishes for whatever direction Eric and Charlotte choose.
Old 06-04-2014, 18:03   #510
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Re all the negative talk. Its a democracy! Free speech et al.

No use trying to shut people up.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico