Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 13:39   #451

Boat: Mac 26X
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

I feel exactly the opposite.

There are 2 parents. Plenty of medical personnel. The presence of the father onboard the frigate makes no difference in the outcome of her medical condition. The mother is there to give moral support and permission for any procedures, if necessary. My stepson once fell from the third floor of a building, destroying both heels upon landing. The doctors were fully capable of taking x-rays, diagnosing his condition, and successfully performing surgery on him while I was on duty, unable to get to the hospital. My presence was not necessary, and my absence made no difference whatsoever to the outcome.
We live in very different worlds, and my wife and I are glad you're not in ours.

Good on you Eric for putting the family first. Yours is the right way
Old 06-04-2014, 13:47   #452

Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:

"Ultimately it's their decision to make..."
You should have just left it at that.

Any decisions being made, or not made, are up to those directly involved, and who actually have all the information.
Old 06-04-2014, 13:56   #453
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
We live in very different worlds, and my wife and I are glad you're not in ours.

Good on you Eric for putting the family first. Yours is the right way

Way to be judgmental, why take such a harsh stance?
Old 06-04-2014, 13:57   #454
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Bingo!!! A winner.

And I doubt they are reading CF to check on the popcorn munchers' views...

atoll - I hope you can arrange a boat rescue mission. Good luck.

it is all up to eric now
,various members have stepped forward who i trust totally,with the knowledge and reasources to get something off the ground,

my bags are permernantly packed on standby for short notice deliveries,just need to top up the sat phone and i'm a good to go.

new group on facebook by invite for rebel heart
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1485254438365076/

also for donations set up by that group for their immediate respite.
https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/djWq3
Old 06-04-2014, 14:06   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
They seriously need to pull their FB and website ASAP

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Who cares?

It's not a priority right now. They can always delete or disable comments whenever they like, safely on shore.

Ignore the ignorant, there is a reason they are ignorant to begin with, arguing with them isn't going to educate them. It just gives them more fodder for their empty lives.
Old 06-04-2014, 14:17   #456

Boat: Hunter 386

"Sailors waited until daylight to move the family from their inoperable sailboat, "Rebel Heart," which authorities were in the process of sinking Sunday because it was taking on water, Bena said."

From the CBC website. Sick baby rescued by U.S. warship off coast of Mexico - World - CBC News

I hope we Canadians just got it wrong this time...

:-(
Old 06-04-2014, 14:19   #457

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Markj- I guess I was just not grasping just how far out they are.

Socaldmax- you knew what was wrong with your step kid. Though the mother hen in me could not imagine leaving my neice( I don't have kids) alone with healthcare workers, everyone needs an advocate to make sure everything that can be done is done. You, as a parent who knew his kid, assessed the situation and made the decision to stay on duty. From what we can tell, Eric and Charlotte were still unsure what exactly was wrong with the baby, they also assessed the situation and determined they needed to stay together, to leave the boat.

Do you get a full body rash from food poisoning? It sounded more like a reaction to me. So much we don't know.

They spoke of tagging the vessel, I thought it was to protect from others salvaging their yacht? Anyone have experience with a tagged vessel?

Anyways, praying for peace for family and a full recovery for the baby.
Old 06-04-2014, 14:22   #458

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

These are young, attractive, and skillful people. Their confidence may be shaken at the moment but they can rebound, and my take is they will, boat or no boat. Back ashore, someone will come up with a car, a place to live will be arranged, Eric will find another job.

As CF readers know, the boat was well prepared. Eric is a professional captain, I believe, and techno savvy. They had lived aboard for some years, and Eric soloed the boat for the most part down into Mexico. But stuff happens. It's not magical, mythical or karmic. It's just random. This is why I've stopped reading the "I'm buying a boat and sailing the world" threads. Dreamers just don't realize what random dragons thar be, can't be reasoned with, and don't want to hear it.

My hat is off to the well-prepared effort.
Old 06-04-2014, 14:40   #459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Markj- I guess I was just not grasping just how far out they are.

Socaldmax- you knew what was wrong with your step kid. Though the mother hen in me could not imagine leaving my neice( I don't have kids) alone with healthcare workers, everyone needs an advocate to make sure everything that can be done is done. You, as a parent who knew his kid, assessed the situation and made the decision to stay on duty. From what we can tell, Eric and Charlotte were still unsure what exactly was wrong with the baby, they also assessed the situation and determined they needed to stay together, to leave the boat.

Do you get a full body rash from food poisoning? It sounded more like a reaction to me. So much we don't know.

They spoke of tagging the vessel, I thought it was to protect from others salvaging their yacht? Anyone have experience with a tagged vessel?

Anyways, praying for peace for family and a full recovery for the baby.

To clarify, I didn't know what happened until after he was out of surgery. His mother was with him, and the hospital made no effort to contact me. They had one parent's consent, and that's all they needed.

My point is that my presence or absence made no material difference to his medical outcome. That is simply a fact.

On the subject of tagging, I'm also curious. What does that do?
Old 06-04-2014, 14:41   #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
If RH bothers to read any of those awful comments posted I hope the only thing they get out of them is that they did the right thing to remove their girls from the hate-filled society that has become the U.S.

The small risk of a mechanical failure while at sea is really nothing compared to raising your child in gated world full of people who deal with fear and insecurity by becoming hateful and mean.
I would guess that those people who sit around and comment on news articles aren't the types who actually go out and do...well, anything. Their idea of adventure is probably watching their newest Netflix arrival.

I refuse to recognize that they represent our society.
Old 06-04-2014, 14:47   #461
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

@ ocean girl

a drifting vessel is almost impossible to find without an accurate position,you need to get within 3 miles to even see it.

the vessel once abandoned is at the mercy of taiwanese longliners who operate in the area,and will be quickly stripped if found drifting,this is why speed is of the esssence if the vessel is to be salvaged.
Old 06-04-2014, 14:47   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
These are young, attractive, and skillful people. Their confidence may be shaken at the moment but they can rebound, and my take is they will, boat or no boat. Back ashore, someone will come up with a car, a place to live will be arranged, Eric will find another job.

As CF readers know, the boat was well prepared. Eric is a professional captain, I believe, and techno savvy. They had lived aboard for some years, and Eric soloed the boat for the most part down into Mexico. But stuff happens. It's not magical, mythical or karmic. It's just random. This is why I've stopped reading the "I'm buying a boat and sailing the world" threads. Dreamers just don't realize what random dragons thar be, can't be reasoned with, and don't want to hear it.

My hat is off to the well-prepared effort.

Well, thank goodness they're attractive! Lord knows what they would do if they were <gasp> ugly!

Care to explain what attractiveness has to do with any of this?

This ought to be educational. <opening a beer>
Old 06-04-2014, 14:54   #463
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

This incident has raised in Insurance Question for me:

Assuming you have good coverage if you abandon your boat like in this situation...will the insurance Company pay out? Or will they say...hey...you chose to abaondon her?

I just read throug my policy and can't find anything about that situation.

Any thoughs or experiences?
Old 06-04-2014, 14:57   #464

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
I feel exactly the opposite.

There are 2 parents. Plenty of medical personnel. The presence of the father onboard the frigate makes no difference in the outcome of her medical condition. The mother is there to give moral support and permission for any procedures, if necessary. My stepson once fell from the third floor of a building, destroying both heels upon landing. The doctors were fully capable of taking x-rays, diagnosing his condition, and successfully performing surgery on him while I was on duty, unable to get to the hospital. My presence was not necessary, and my absence made no difference whatsoever to the outcome. Being a parent does not magically bestow upon one a medical degree.

However, the father's presence on the boat may make all of the difference between keeping it and losing it. There are many factors at play here, not the least of which is the current condition of the boat, prevailing winds, ability to steer, remaining fuel available, etc. If the military were willing to let one of the pararescue guys stay onboard then it could be much easier, but I doubt if they'd do that. Perhaps Eric is tired and just wants to get off and possibly get it back another day. Who knows.

Ultimately it's their decision to make, based on their priorities and the actual situation at hand. Getting beyond the initial emotional, knee jerk response of a child needing medical assistance being the first priority - once that need is met to the best of the military's ability, logic can sometimes lead one to decisions that result in an outcome even better than just keeping one's family members alive.
What you say is logically true if the only wounds from this are physical ones, but I'm thinking that they are all pretty traumatized right now and might need some emotional healing that can't be put off until later. If that's the case, then it's a no-brainer what Eric has to do as much as it would suck to lose the boat. There are critically important details about this situation, including Rebel Heart's current state of seaworthiness, the exact medical condition of the sick baby, and the emotional condition of all involved that must be factored into any decision and since none of us are privy to them, there's no way for us to even have a valid opinion about whether Eric should stay with the boat or leave it. Eric and Charlotte are the only two people who have all the relevant information and whichever option they decide on will be the correct one.
Old 06-04-2014, 15:00   #465

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
What you say is logically true if the only wounds from this are physical ones, but I'm thinking that they are all pretty traumatized right now and might need some emotional healing that can't be put off until later. If that's the case, then it's a no-brainer what Eric has to do as much as it would suck to lose the boat. There are critically important details about this situation, including Rebel Heart's current state of seaworthiness, the exact medical condition of the sick baby, and the emotional condition of all involved that must be factored into any decision and since none of us are privy to them, there's no way for us to even have a valid opinion about whether Eric should stay with the boat or leave it. Eric and Charlotte are the only two people who have all the relevant information and whichever option they decide on will be the correct one.
Well stated.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico