Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 11:21   #406

Boat: Mac 26X
So glad to hear all is well with the family. I can say for certain if my family was in the same situation, I'd NOT be staying with the boat. While Eric could easily do so if the boat is indeed sailable, it's not what a family does in a crisis IMO. Support is all you really have when all the world is crashing down.

I've followed Rebel Heart for years, and I'm hoping to be able to tell my coworkers (who all think we're all crazy) a great story about how a web form pulled off a salvage for this young family! Good on you guys and let me know where to send some money to help!
Old 06-04-2014, 11:21   #407

Community Sponsor

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44 & Hobie Bravo
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Sending positive thoughts to Eric, Charlotte, Cora & Lyra!
You're such a strong family - you will prevail!!
LOVE and HUGS!
Sailing Delta Tango
Old 06-04-2014, 11:23   #408
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post
In regard to the youngest child's illness, which has been given as being a pre-voyage case of salmonella.
There is no way it could be (pre-voyage onset) They had been a sea close to 3 weeks
Old 06-04-2014, 11:26   #409

Boat: CL52

Three things I have learned from this thread;
1)Anything you put on the internet for all to see can be used against you.
2)Bringing children with you on open ocean crossings should be very carefully weighed.
3)Our government will go to unusual and extraordinary lengths to ensure the safety of their citizens.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:31   #410

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

I can't find the comment now but somewhere back in Sariah's posts she said the shaft was the source of the leak and whenever the engine was running it was leaking at a rate of about 2 cups per hour. She was asked if that was when the transmission was engaged or not & I never saw a reply. That's the closest I've heard of what mechanical problem the boat has. FWIW.

My hopes are with Atoll and others trying to offer salvage solutions to Eric.

A previous poster mentioned salmonella relapses. I've also heard relapses may occur for over a year.

Rebel Heart & her family are getting all of my hopes & best wishes these day.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:38   #411
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Vaccinations don't always take. I've had so many I can't count them all. While in the Navy I felt like a pin cushion with all the shots we were getting.

Yet last month I got the measles from a nephew. It didn't show up for 10 days. Measles are highly contagious it can be picked up airborne or off a door knob. With me I know it was airborne b/c I was sitting next to him in a taxi the day before he showed symptoms but had no contact the rest of the time.

And in MX very few people have vaccinations so the disease would be common. It is contagious 4 days before to 4 days after the symptoms.

My question is would it be safe/healthy to give a 1 YO child all those need vacc's? Take a look at the list of vacc's that the CDC recommends before going to the tropics.
If it is the measles then everyone involved is at risk. It can spread as fast as grease on a door knob.
But we'll see after she gets home.
And how is not getting vaccinated being irresponsible? I don't think I'd pump a bunch of diseases into a 1 YO.
I have no idea what vaccinations are recommend ed for a 1 year old, but a responsible parent will have whatever ones are recommended for world travel with a 1 yr old up to date.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:39   #412
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceannavigator View Post
I have no idea what vaccinations are recommend ed for a 1 year old, but a responsible parent will have whatever ones are recommended for world travel with a 1 yr old up to date.

Of course this side shoot has nothing to do with Rebel Heart.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:41   #413

We are relieved to hear Lyra is stable and getting good care and that the family has been transferred to the frigate safely. We are heartbroken by the news coverage and mean-spirited comments being made and wondered if someone who is in touch with Sariah could offer to get the admin info for their blog and do them the favour of deleting the crap and disabling future comments. I wouldn't imagine that is something they'll want to deal with. A small thing amongst the chaos. I am so angry this is happening to such wonderful people at such a difficult time and for what? Entertainment. Its sickening. Wishing Charlotte and Eric and the girls much love and strength.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:42   #414

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

i have not seen any one state why he is not sailing it home? the sails are fine there pointing now and the steering works because they are pointing now. why is he leaving the boat and not getting it back to the coast any coast where some one can toe him in to a marina? I have read some extensive why not to abandon your boat threads on here...
Old 06-04-2014, 11:46   #415

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I agree the expenses part of a salvage in this location could easily be more than the value of the boat.

And where do the salvors take the boat? Are they really going to risk their lives to do something the owner wouldn't risk?
I bet Eric left to be with his sick daughter, I sure as heck would.I think the boat issues would of been manageable and repaired had they not had a very sick child on their hands.

I though the boat was tagged? And have GPS coordinates of exact location. Won't that make it easier to find? She seems like she is hove to, not making much way. I'm sure she is shut up tight. So using currents and weather, I bet she can be found
Do we know exactly what is wrong with the steering?

Do you think heading out and salvaging rebel heart is really risking their lives? She is not sinking, she has rudder issues, and a torn drifter. The engine may be out. She is still a sound vessel from what I can tell.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:47   #416

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
this is why plan B might work better,i myself would not seek any renumeration,apart from expenses.
atoll, you are a saint, even if this recovery does not happen due to other factors.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-04-2014, 11:47   #417

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
i have not seen any one state why he is not sailing it home? the sails are fine there pointing now and the steering works because they are pointing now. why is he leaving the boat and not getting it back to the coast any coast where some one can toe him in to a marina? I have read some extensive why not to abandon your boat threads on here...
Because his daughter is sick, his wife is (possibly) hysterical and the family doesn't need the stress of being separated with one parent dealing with two children and the other at sea with a less than perfectly functional boat?
Old 06-04-2014, 11:50   #418

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Because the condition of his daughter and being with both daughters and his wife are more important to him than his boat. Certainly if it was me in his situation, I'd be going with my family and to h... with my boat at this time. I might hope to get it back, hope someone will rescue it for me, but only my family matters at this moment. I'm sure they're still very scared for their daughter. Just because she's been transferred does not mean she's completely out of the woods. They thought she was ok earlier to set sail.

He has his priorities right where they should be at this time.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:51   #419

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
Good to know. Thanks!

Would a statement like "the content on this site may not be reproduced without approval" do anything?

I think it boils down to media firms having larger lawyer budgets and the fact that they could spin your words any way they see fit to make a story with no real repercussions. USA Today among others are heavily focusing on the few negative comments Charlotte has made on her blog, and I hate statements being torn from context so they can make a buck off someone's suffering.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
For what its worth, I have done Google searches using parameters describing our boat & found my photos from CF show up as images in the search. Just don't post stuff you wouldn't show Mom.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:52   #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bligh View Post
Three things I have learned from this thread;
1)Anything you put on the internet for all to see can be used against you.
2)Bringing children with you on open ocean crossings should be very carefully weighed.
3)Our government will go to unusual and extraordinary lengths to ensure the safety of their citizens.
Another is to moderate comments on your blog before they go public. My God the absolute nastiness and disgusting comments on their website right now. It makes me physically sick to see so many people be so nasty and hurtful.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico