Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 07:02   #346
cruiser

Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Anyone cruising about in a sailboat is looked at as having some cash, it's not really accurate buy it's public perception. I doubt Eric has a 4000 sq foot home and 2 BMWs in the garage. People who live in houses assume everyone lives in houses, so the publics perception is that the sailboat is luxury and houses and cars are at home. And if you can not work and sail, you must be rich. It's no wonder the public hates us.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:03   #347

The sign of a good captain is when they are able to care for the crew above the vessel. The sign of a good father is to push the panic button when you need to. Good job Rebel Heart. Be safe.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-04-2014, 07:04   #348

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
So true.

Also:

Who on earth could get upset over the comments section of the Daily Mail, or be bothered by what some soulless television program reports, or worry about what's being whispered at the local coffee shop for that matter.

We all care about what others think, that is what makes us human. The trick is deciding what principles are important and who's opinions matter. I've read enough of Rebel's posts to know that he has both those categories pretty well covered. If he decides he needs feedback or advice, I am guessing he'll know where to get it.

The mistake many make is to indiscriminately care about what everyone thinks.
Thats a great point I really don't care what most people think and agree that Rebel and crew can Handel whatever comes their way and if not know when to seek help. I think my motivation for defending them is I don't want them to feel alone in this. What a great group of folks on this forum!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:04   #349

Boat: grampian 26

Just saw a blurb on the news here so the story has gained a lot of attention world wide. The comment said the child was feverish and her body was covered in a rash. As someone said earlier it could be Measles or Chicken Pox. Both are common childhood diseases and not normally life threatening but not worth taking the risk given the circumstances they were in. If the child was not vaccinated she could have picked it up in Mexico.
Every one here of a certain age has probably had these illnesses as a child and suffered no lasting consequences. The right decision was made in this case and I hope all turns out well for the couple and their children and at some point they can resume the adventure.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:16   #350

For those concerned about money and tax dollars let me shed some light on the way money is allocated for the military in the US. Two years ago the defense department Sat down and figured out how much each unit gets based on unit Manning and training needs to keep a mission ready force. Last year it went to Congress who then after months of fighting finally came out with an appropriations bill. Those funds finally tricked down to the units about the first of March for a budget designed to start at the beginning of the fiscal year which was 1 October 2013. What that means is that in order to fully execute their budget these units are working overtime to catch up on their spending.. Also catch up on their training which has not been done so far this year since there was no money. So to sum up this diatribe, of they hadn't gone and done this they would have gone and done something else because if you under execute your budget this year you will get less money next year. I know it's not a very effective or efficient model but that's the law.

Sent from my XT1030 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-04-2014, 07:17   #351

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

First and foremost, glad Eric and Family are safe! Go Navy! (and a tip of the hat to the National Guard)

As far as negative comments on Eric and Charlotte's blogs, facebook pages, news websites, etc., I think we sometimes forget how much child rearing has changed in the last 30 or so years. From car seats, to bike helmets, to infant monitors and beyond, we have become much more sensitive to child protection and rearing. The fact that many people like to meddle doesn't help.

Many parents can't imagine letting their child play outside without being there with them, much less setting sail across and ocean far from land and hospitals. Coupled with a general lack of knowledge of sailing and the safety measures we take, we can read the results in the comment section of any website that carries the story. As a result, Eric and Charlotte are perceived by many on those sites as "bad" parents, when they are no different than an early pioneer family crossing Indian territory searching for a better life 200 years ago.

Sure some of their comments are hateful (but then so were some retaliatory comments made by others on those websites and on here), but most are just parents that don't understand us or what drives us. Personally, I think it is our job as liveaboards, cruisers, cruiser wannabes, sailors etc., to educate the unknowing about our lifestyle, its rewards and how we prepare for the "life". How you chose to go about it is up to you; for me, I just explain my views calmly and patiently.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:19   #352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
You say that like a liberal slant is bad. I listen to NPR, but give Rush a chance once a month or so. The difference is staggering. One is slanted but accurate, the other is a war cry for the simple minded.
This has to do with Eric and family, or their rescue how?
Old 06-04-2014, 07:21   #353
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
This has to do with Eric and family, or their rescue how?

Read the post I quoted from duh!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:22   #354

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

If the SAR boys and girls are looking for some practice missions, how about the 1500 refugees that died in the Med last year. Rebel Heart was out there for the joy of sailing, and I am glad he and his will be OK, other are desperately seeking a better life. Would it be alright if we shared our resources.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:29   #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
Read the post I quoted from duh!
I did and I think you miss my point, your post nor letsgosailing3s have anything to do with the OP and is thread drift. The fact that your post is political in nature, is an opinion and a personal attack is in violation of the Cruiserforum rules.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:39   #356
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
+2

and paul annapolis even suggesting that this was a publicity stunt is a new low from you,i am having problems with your credibility as a fellow seafarer,let alone as a profesional skipper that you proport to be.
Atoll, welcome to the club! I have yet to read any negative comments , aimed at Eric , or any other mariner who found themselves in need of "outside" assistance , to come from professional or otherwise experienced mariners . Two self professed experts, who have shown themselves on this thread , rarely have anything worthwhile to add to our community. I, for one, am glad that we have the USCG, the Cruiser's Forum Community, and many others who are doing all that they can for Eric , his family and crew , any the many others in distress on our waters ! My prayers go out to all who venture out to sea . My thanks go out to those who help bring us back in those times of dire need !
Old 06-04-2014, 07:44   #357

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

[QUOTE=MBLittle;1510873]From USA TODAY

Navy ship reaches ill toddler on sailboat

Navy ship reaches sailboat carrying ill toddler

Based on the the above link, it seems that any salvage mission might best involve serious discussion with Eric. Boat takes on water when the engine runs is a bit ominous. Suggests prop shaft seal/packing or perhaps a fault in the cooling system. If there is no generator, no power. Batteries may be flat. I'm sure these points have probably been considered by those offering assistance. I expect no one would race into this unprepared for repairs. It would really be bad to put another crew in jeopardy.

SO happy they are safe.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:45   #358

Boat: Catalina 36

If RH bothers to read any of those awful comments posted I hope the only thing they get out of them is that they did the right thing to remove their girls from the hate-filled society that has become the U.S.

The small risk of a mechanical failure while at sea is really nothing compared to raising your child in gated world full of people who deal with fear and insecurity by becoming hateful and mean.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:49   #359
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
I did and I think you miss my point, your post nor letsgosailing3s have anything to do with the OP and is thread drift. The fact that your post is political in nature, is an opinion and a personal attack is in violation of the Cruiserforum rules.

I did not view it as a personal attack, so we're all set there. So now mentioning different news networks is political ? Please spare me, now your responsible for thread drift and are attacking me because you don't care for what I said. Let's just get back to the greater issue of rebel.

I think we were just highlighting the massive differences in how a single story can be reported with a different slant. Sometimes its presented as a heartwarming story other times it plays up the cost to the taxpayers.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:49   #360
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
NPR News is pretty good, but their interviews/opinion bits have a most definite liberal slant. At least they seem to try a it, though.

Not really anymore. They used to border on propaganda, like Fox News, but when they were called out for it, the show hosts changed the format.

They now report just the news, with little editorial input. When there are guests, they have guests from all over the political spectrum discussing topics in a rational, educated, civil way, letting the debate chips fall where they may.

It's agreat news source now that they cleaned it up. And who can resist car talk???
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico