Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2014, 14:02   #1396
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Mods please take note I am about to report anyone who doesn't have a boat
Maybe I should report anyone who keeps a sailboat in DC of all places. Its a sailing / cruising crime to consider docking there.
Old 12-04-2014, 14:03   #1397
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
I guess some folk still are thinking about this and posting. The post I referred to was better then a lot. It was not threatening or demeaning.
If your rule is don't post unless you bring something new holds it will be atoll and the mods chatting it up forbidding any new comment.
Thanks for defining what a head is but translation was late. I am now trying to get my urinary tract out of my ear. Better you pee overboard then try to pee in your head.
I think you don't need to be the defender of rebel by squashing newbees. Maybe show them how we are open to opinion and willing to help if they wish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can report anything that your little heart desires.. Action being taken on those reports is another matter of course.

Coops.
Old 12-04-2014, 14:08   #1398
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
I guess some folk still are thinking about this and posting. The post I referred to was better then a lot. It was not threatening or demeaning.
If your rule is don't post unless you bring something new holds it will be atoll and the mods chatting it up forbidding any new comment.
Thanks for defining what a head is but translation was late. I am now trying to get my urinary tract out of my ear. Better you pee overboard then try to pee in your head.
I think you don't need to be the defender of rebel by squashing newbees. Maybe show them how we are open to opinion and willing to help if they wish.

i thought my post was very polite and i welcomed him,as is customary.

as far as i can tell new members put at least something down about where they are from,if they have a boat,their interest in sailing etc first,and make a few tentative posts in various forums on cf.

rather than diving in with a 1000 word essay,with a controversial view on an already sensitive issue,that has been discussed AD NAUSEAUM already.
Old 12-04-2014, 14:08   #1399

Boat: PETERSON 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Maybe I should report anyone who keeps a sailboat in DC of all places. Its a sailing / cruising crime to consider docking there.

If your talking about me. Had a lovely sail and am now anchored. No where near the potomac. Though I have done that water. Very cool river to sail up.

Old 12-04-2014, 14:29   #1400

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

Yes was from today

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-04-2014, 14:32   #1401
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by leightonyachts View Post
Yes was from today

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
+1
Old 12-04-2014, 14:34   #1402
cruiser

Quote:
If your talking about me. Had a lovely sail and am now anchored. No where near the potomac. Though I have done that water. Very cool river to sail up.

Yes saw this and it hit.

Used to race out of Washington Sailing Marina in my teens.
Old 12-04-2014, 14:55   #1403

⬆️I work in dc . Sailing on the upper potomac sucks. The sail up the river and it's destination is well worth the time. I see how you guessed I was a dock monster in dc. I am aboard 35 percent and sail at every chance. Not always offshore.
My new signature line is going to be "we are watching you please delete your post if you can't provide a sailing portfolio and certified license". That won't be daunting to anyone.

Old 12-04-2014, 15:05   #1404

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i thought my post was very polite and i welcomed him,as is customary.

as far as i can tell new members put at least something down about where they are from,if they have a boat,their interest in sailing etc first,and make a few tentative posts in various forums on cf.

rather than diving in with a 1000 word essay,with a controversial view on an already sensitive issue,that has been discussed AD NAUSEAUM already.
His post seemed a little stalker-ish. I thought you were more than polite.
Old 12-04-2014, 15:15   #1405

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

[QUOTE=skipmac;1516517]I have tried a couple of hammock ideas on boats and it didn't work out too well for me. We picked up two small hammock like things to hang in the galley to hold fruit. Worked great at the dock but at sea they swung wildly and either smashed the fruit or threw it out onto the sole. We tied bungee cords to the hammocks to keep them more or less under control but still wasn't great.

Similar experience with people sized hammocks. Hung one between the mast and forestay. Even at anchor if the boat was rocking much at all the hammock set up an oscillation that magnified the motion and was just too much.

QUOTE]

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 12-04-2014, 15:18   #1406

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Rebel Heart,

If you ever make it this far in the thread, you get great big gold stars for perseverence!

Glad you're all safe and well.

Ann
Old 12-04-2014, 15:18   #1407

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I'm fairly new to sailing (3 yrs my own boat), most of my miles done in Bass Strait, as that's where I live. I've always found CF to be a place of great assistance to learn. Rewired my whole boat on assistance from people on here.

But honestly, the penis sizing over this young couple that personally I admire is just over the top. It really looks poorly for CF when it's aloud to go on for this length of time, and gets so clearly personal. Where are the moderators?
Old 12-04-2014, 15:36   #1408
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000 View Post
Hello, this is my 1st post as a new member. The Rebel Heart incident has led me here. Although I have been on various fresh- and salt-water vessels throughout my life, I am not a cruiser or sailor. I've never met or spoken to the Kaufmans, online or offline. I don't work in the media or entertainment industry.

I have, however, spent hours upon hours reading the Kaufmans' blogs, as well as many of their posts on the forum and their Facebook page. I have also viewed the Air National Guard press conference regarding the Rebel Heart crew rescue a few times. Finally, I have read various threads on various forums concerning their recent trip.

First, let me just say that I'm happy the family is safe and back on land. I think it's reasonable to say that most if not all of us go through things in life which put us in harm's way, whether we spend our time on land or on water. Life is simply full of risks -- and also full of rewards. Many of these events, however, are not typically broadcast in such a public fashion as the Kaufmans' story.

I recognize and understand that both Eric and Charlotte are members here, and that apparently many here are supporters and possibly have even met them offline.

I also, however, think it's important and relevant to understand and discuss some facts leading up to this incident. It is not necessarily only a sailor/cruiser story; this also becomes a Kaufman family story. Regardless of your personal relationship with them, and regardless of your own sailing/cruising experience, I think it's vital to consider the facts which have been thoroughly documented mainly by the Kaufmans themselves -- especially those from the past few months.

I don't see many people here discussing many of these, most of which can be found at their blogs. This is the reason why I decided to register and post here. I'm interested in hearing responses to any or all of the following findings.

Without comment, here is just a list of what I have found at their blogs:

- The longest trip prior to their most recent, was just 4 nights long, taken only by Eric. This was a coastal trip. The entire family never spent this much time sailing at once. They have never been outside of coastal waters. None of them have been crew or passengers for another's blue-water trip.

- Much of their time has been spent ashore, as well as being docked.

- Prior to the trip, Charlotte and their two girls had physical health issues, which can easily reoccur if not fully treated and healed, and can easily be re-exposed if certain sanitation requirements are not fulfilled, causing a vicious cycle of reinfection.

- Their voyage was physically much rougher than they expected, considering they had never experienced blue-water sailing, nor had they spent much time away from stepping foot on land. They were constantly jostled about, couldn't sleep well, and experienced bouts of seasickness. Couple this with Charlotte's and the girls' recent illnesses, and you have a potential recipe for disaster.

- Charlotte's mental health was not the greatest, per her own admissions. She was very unhappy oftentimes during their trip, even asking Eric at one point early on what he thought about the prospect of she and the girls going back ashore and letting Eric do the voyage himself. Approximately two months prior to their departure, Charlotte also posted about feeling suicidal; she did not state if she received any professional psychological assistance for this. And approximately three months prior to their departure, she publicly accused her father of sexually and mentally abusing her and her sister, which apparently split their large family in two, causing emotional distress for many, including for Charlotte, herself.

- During the California Air National Guard press conference video, starting at approximately 2:05, one of the rescuers stated that the Kaufmans were in "decent condition" and that Lyra was "a little bit sick" when the rescuers first boarded Rebel Heart. It wasn't unil later in the conference that another rescuer made statements contradicting that. It was also not disclosed if Lyra was suffering from salmonella, long-term seasickness, or both -- all of which can lead to similar symptoms.

- Finally, this was a 3,000-mile trip which was expected to take 3-4 weeks. They were two weeks into the trip, and had only gone 900 miles.

Given the above, one can argue that this was simply a case of the captain and crew not being experienced enough, nor mentally or physically prepared enough, for such a voyage attempt. There is no shame in admitting that. When the Kaufmans do speak, I think we'd all like and expect them to be fully open and honest. Doing so will not only garner them further respect, but also potentially help other families facing similar decisions.

I'm fully aware that I might attract some negativity from others here by posting this. This is not an attack on the Kaufmans or their decisions, nor is this a personal attack against any of you reading this or your lifestyle choices. I would expect the same respect. However, I think I've done a pretty good job in listing some facts, many of which aren't discussed much here, and again, can be found throughout Rebel Heart's blogs and in the National Guard press conference video. I strongly suggest that many of you, if you haven't already, to spend at least several hours reading through that publicly-documented first-hand information prior to responding to my post, especially the blogs from the past 3 months or so, at a minimum.

Thank you. And again, welcome back, Rebel Heart crew. Glad to have you aboard the mainland. May your experiences be lessons for all of us. And good luck in your future endeavors.

I've enjoyed reading this thread; the good, the bad and the ugly, but for some reason I find this post very disturbing.
Old 12-04-2014, 15:59   #1409

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Some of you may notice that a couple of your posts have been removed. Sorry for that but we had to clean up the mess a bit from some inappropriate posts from a certain source. If you responded or quoted to a post that has since been deleted then you may find that it has vanished.

Thanks

Coops.
Coops - you have your work cut out for you.
Old 12-04-2014, 15:59   #1410
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I agree Neo...this thread has taken on a smell similar to Durian fruit.
I would close it down and politely wait for Eric to come back and say hello to his friends.
Too many carrion are attracted to this topic
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico