Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 13:38   #121

Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cowboy View Post
Give it up.............really.....
I just don't like to see comments mischaracterized. Really.

But sorry for going so off-topic on what really is a trivial matter.

The important thing is the safety of a fellow cruiser and his family, and the news at the moment seems very positive. I'm glad for that!

I'll shut up now.
Old 04-04-2014, 13:43   #122

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
Tore their drifter!! Heavens to Betsy......limited fuel? Well they are a sailboat??? Drifting....900 miles offshore?????.Yes--send out airplanes, medics, drop inflatable boats....Nobody wants a baby to be ill or die of course...but here is probably more to this story--a whole lot more that should be brought to light but I have plenty of questions, for example--what were they doing out there? With a baby? Without enough fuel? If they used a drifter it was light air--yes? But they ripped it so what's the danger here? And how and why did they use up their fuel presumably so soon after departing? What is missing from this story? Let's stay tuned but I have my hunches....
Oh please don't start this "what were they doing out there?" crap.

After spending time with Eric and his wonderful family, I can tell you there are few that are as experienced and level headed as Charlotte and Eric.
Like most of us, they prepared the best that they could. There are tons of families out there with their kids. You can do it the way Eric and his family has or you can sit behind a computer screen until your kids are out of the house.
My heart goes out to them and my prayers that their daughter has a speedy recovery.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 04-04-2014, 13:44   #123

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Great to see all are ok, Eric always seemed to me to be a well organized guy. This could have been any of us. God speed Eric and his family to a safe homecoming.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 04-04-2014, 14:03   #124

Boat: too many

Those were 900 hard fought miles and the slog back won't be a picnic. Eric has some decisions to make, I hope everything goes well and it seems all are OK and that is the most important.
Old 04-04-2014, 14:05   #125

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
From Charlotte's blog:

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 at 10:05
Six days at sea. In six days I can’t possibly describe the range of emotions I have felt so far: anger, joy, sickness, exhaustion, exhilaration, wonder, awe, contentment, peace. When we were backing out of our slip in La Cruz, we four stood in the cockpit waving goodbye to friends. Cora shook her head and furled her eyebrows, sighing, “I’m going to miss Sacha.” “I’m sure he’ll miss you too, buddy. You’ll see him again.” “I’m going to miss Sacha so much. And Diego. And Michelle (Michelle Williams, if you are reading this!) I hope see Appa out there when we are crossing the ocean too. I like them. They are my best friends.” The kid just melts me. Today at lunch, she bit into a pickle and did the same thing, a deep, resonant sigh, and then, “I miss Sacha. And I miss Colin, too. He is my friend.” And then she perked up and grabbed her tuna melt. “But I like this trip mommy, I like it a lot.” “Well, that’s good, because we have a long way to go still.” Lyra is absolutely the most challenging part of the trip. And Lyra, if you are reading this someday, know that we don’t mean you were a “bad baby,” or anything of the sort. You’re a wonderfully active, happy, ingenuitive (ßis that an actual word?) child. You are vocal, and curious, and BUSY, just as you should be. WE are the nutballs who decided to set to sea with you. Trust me, we have no one else to blame for bringing a 13 month old to sea than ourselves. I keep telling myself that Bora Bora will be worth it, worth what I’m now calling ‘extreme parenting.’

Cora is a very special kid.
Old 04-04-2014, 14:06   #126
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

A big Rebel Yell for Eric and his family. So glad they got the support they needed and my best wishes for a restart journey in due time.
Old 04-04-2014, 14:11   #127

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Yes pray heaps. Perhaps Noah will heave up alongside and send a few of those 100 y/o sons over to put things right on board.
My...that was helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Sure he's a nice enough guy, but skilled posting does not equal offshore experience and good judgment.
You have no idea of this man. I would suggest you just listen rather than digging yourself into the ignorant pit any deeper.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 04-04-2014, 14:30   #128
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I am looking forward to Erik's posting on this. I think he is an EMT so I bet it was something more serious than dehydration. (Which he would have treated with an iv and fluids) Having been there, with life threatening illness on the ocean, I can only say wait until they tell us what was up. That is the only way you're going to get it right.
Assuming anything right now just makes you a jackass. Remember the immortal words of Shrek:
" that will do donkey, that will do"
Old 04-04-2014, 14:36   #129
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I am looking forward to Erik's posting on this. I think he is an EMT so I bet it was something more serious than dehydration. (Which he would have treated with an iv and fluids) Having been there, with life threatening illness on the ocean, I can only say wait until they tell us what was up. That is the only way you're going to get it right.
Assuming anything right now just makes you a jackass. Remember the immortal words of Shrek:
+2

and paul annapolis even suggesting that this was a publicity stunt is a new low from you,i am having problems with your credibility as a fellow seafarer,let alone as a profesional skipper that you proport to be.
Old 04-04-2014, 14:45   #130

Boat: too many

Newt, as always, right on.
Old 04-04-2014, 14:45   #131

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Delighted to hear that things are better. That has to be some pretty good marriage to even attempt such a voyage. Perhaps there will be better luck on the next attempt. I guess we will all be waiting to hear that they are safely in Cabo.
Does anyone know about the weather in the general area? What are they up against trying to go eastbound?
Old 04-04-2014, 14:56   #132

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Delighted to hear that things are better. That has to be some pretty good marriage to even attempt such a voyage. Perhaps there will be better luck on the next attempt. I guess we will all be waiting to hear that they are safely in Cabo.
Does anyone know about the weather in the general area? What are they up against trying to go eastbound?
Actually, the last update almost sounded like they are going to raft up the Navy vessel and head to San Diego. Can you raft up with a Navy destroyer?!
Old 04-04-2014, 14:58   #133
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I came to this thread late; too late to post my concerns and thoughts for a quick rescue (for infant) and a quick response to provide help for Eric, family and boat. As others posted (below), while they may currently be out of harms way, they still have a long trip ahead and tough decisions to make. Somehow I think Eric will make all the best choices in the days ahead. My thoughts are still going out to him, his family and the boat.

I will refrain from commenting on the negative posts other than to say that I don't concur with those type of thoughts - especially at this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Those were 900 hard fought miles and the slog back won't be a picnic. Eric has some decisions to make, I hope everything goes well and it seems all are OK and that is the most important.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Well posted (as usual) Newt.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 04-04-2014, 15:05   #134

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Best wishes, thoughts and prayers.
Old 04-04-2014, 15:06   #135

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

Just caught wind of this. Was a little shaken reading through the posts.

Eric as learning his name here.. Hello Lou here. Anyhow Rebel Heart is a name in my lurking has rang a bell. I may not know him personally or follow everything posted by him. In my few months lurking and reading his S/V come up have always been positive and helpful to the community here.

So sorry to hear you are going through this distress especially on a trip that you have it sounds like planned for a long time and tried to be prepared the best you can for your family. I'd never wish a thing like this to happen.

What matters is reading that conditions are improving and the whole experience will end. Don't let this stop your dream. It can happen to anyone. You can not prepare for sickness in any way. Main thing be sure the little one and family is well. You are doing just that right now as we are reading as it is reported.

My thoughts out to everyone involved and those worried friends and family ashore. Be there and support once they make land fall. Be it a safe recovery for everyone.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico