Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2014, 02:04   #1321

Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
unfortunately in this case only a mod can do that,this guy was not trolling for fun ,he was looking to engineer a story using quotes generated on this thread.

it was telling when dave suggested,that he had got his info from either being onboard ,or living in the head.

mr webber not being a sailor assumed dave meant living in their collective mind"head" as portrayed in their blog,not as as dave inferred living in the toilet(head) onboard and eavsdropping
I mean we don't reply to any of his posts and if someone is unaware and does reply, we post unmissable warnings.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:40   #1322

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Jedi posted a Dashew vid and some of you wondered what sailing an 80 foot boat had to do with RH's experience. Well to begin with he is sailing an 80 foot boat which he can do by himself.
And the 80ft multimillion dollar yacht is set up for 2 to sail. An 80 ft yacht is much more sea kindly. Comparing the two is rediciouls. Kifs need special doctors called pediatrician's because kids van crash faster. They cant tell you what's wrong. The salmonella poisioning would dehydrate a baby fast even in an adult it is getting to a dangerous stage when dehydration starts to set in in and babies can take a turn for the worst very quickly. Just the size of rhe boat is a bad comparison.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-04-2014, 03:46   #1323

That's a pretty cool picture of the family and rescue guys.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:39   #1324

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Jedi posted a Dashew vid and some of you wondered what sailing an 80 foot boat had to do with RH's experience. Well to begin with he is sailing an 80 foot boat which he can do by himself. I've seen he and his wife launch all of the spinnakers in the same winds that RH was sailing in so he walks his talk.
I think it is wonderful that nick from Jedi has a 70' boat. However, I found his posting that video in the context of discussing a younger couple who had just lost their 36' home to be incredibly uncouth. Hadn't ever bothered to notice before but that guy is like school on Saturday.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:47   #1325
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I think it is wonderful that nick from Jedi has a 70' boat. However, I found his posting that video in the context of discussing a younger couple who had just lost their 36' home to be incredibly uncouth. Hadn't ever bothered to notice before but that guy is like school on Saturday.
nick is a very nice guy to most people,and it is not his fault he is Dutch and forthright...
Old 12-04-2014, 05:20   #1326
cruiser

I really don't care got the word troll, it's meant in a nasty way, it's clearly meant as a insult. What happened it the be nice rule. Troll is the frequent go to when a unpopular opinion is voiced. You guys have ganged up on Charlie for stating a few accurate things, but he's not in the club so he's a troll? Such hypocrisy here.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:27   #1327
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
I really don't care got the word troll, it's meant in a nasty way, it's clearly meant as a insult. What happened it the be nice rule. Troll is the frequent go to when a unpopular opinion is voiced. You guys have ganged up on Charlie for stating a few accurate things, but he's not in the club so he's a troll? Such hypocrisy here.
if the facts he quoted were accurate why did he not post any links to his hyperbole?,
he knew exactly what he was doing,he had an agenda as a journalist,not per se a troll,but malicious none the less
Old 12-04-2014, 05:28   #1328

You know you are probably right. I have never meet him. I live in New Amsterdam and get what you are saying, but posting the Dashew video struck me as un-necessarily ostentatious and in general poor taste.

Maybe was intended, maybe was not, maybe I would feel differently.

I have to say, as has been mentioned elsewhere (it's hard to keep track), it's certainly has been an interesting couple of days (or is it already a week?) around here hasn't it?

I find it has really opened me up to a different perspective on people I once thought I knew. Like some, I have maybe lost some respect for some people who I had previously admired. Conversely I have actually gained respect for some people I once despised.

I am here to learn what I don't know and share what I do know and hopefully not make a total ass of myself in the process.

I have at times found myself really frustrated with this forum and considered other ways to waste away my internet leisure time but somehow I always seem to come back and always for the same reason that brought me here in the first place.

Cheers
Old 12-04-2014, 05:51   #1329

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

I didn't come here for a group hug. If we can't learn something from this experience then what's the point?

About 500 posts ago I suggested that likely there was an instigating incident after which everything that happened was pretty well inevitable. Its clear to me that instigating incident was putting to sea with a woman who didn't really want to be there. After that point what happened was pretty predictable.

And I don't put a whole lot of stock in the immediate opinions of four adrenaline junkies. I have the utmost respect and admiration for anyone who would jump out of a perfectly good airplane into a big cold ocean to save these people. But having jumped and lived with the family is it really surprising that those guys thought their efforts were essential?

I'll go so far as to make a prediction - this couple never goes offshore again. Maybe they don't get another boat either but if they do, they stay within sight of land.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:08   #1330

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
I didn't come here for a group hug.
Perhaps you should try the "axe grinding " thread? It might better suit your needs.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:21   #1331

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
This forum can seem warm and fuzzy (jovial and funny and amusing) most of the time but I've found the same thing reading it for a while now - every once in a while some really nasty hostility comes out, like when that creature bursts out of somebody's chest in the movie Alien. Most often it's insulting derision at Christians, but it can pop out other times too. It's very odd.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:27   #1332

Boat: Maine Cat 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
The naysayers have turned a cute little story about keeping cake for themselves into running out of food, hoarding and starving their children.

They have turned a fairly typical parental desire for, as Samuel Jackson puts it "Go the f@&! to sleep," into bad parenting, as well.

At least a few of them dug deeply enough to find a few things that are typical of Mexico (transportation), but pretty shocking to most Americans.
Perhaps buried somewhere in the zillions of posts on this subject is already a reference to recent (but in no way new) events that the internet naysayers (those nattering nabobs of negativity) would also use to be critical of young parents who make dangerous choices for their children:

Car Hits Orlando-Area Day Care - WSJ.com

Video shows Osceola day care worker shoving child into cot | www.wftv.com

I haven't heard any comments about how irresponsible it is to put your child in a daycare center.

I also recall a few years ago, near my home, 3 small children dying in the back seat of a minivan when rear ended by tractor/trailer rig.

I never heard any comments about how irresponsible it is to drive with your kids on the freeway or strap your kids into their car seats in the back of a minivan.

As an ER doctor I saw many terrible things happen to kids on land. Risk follows us always and can not be eliminated. Going to sea introduces some risk but eliminates others. The odds of picking up a bad at sea is probably far less than it is on land.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:29   #1333

Boat: Maine Cat 30

Should read "the risks of picking up a bad VIRUS at sea"
Old 12-04-2014, 06:32   #1334
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
This forum can seem warm and fuzzy (jovial and funny and amusing) most of the time but I've found the same thing reading it for a while now - every once in a while some really nasty hostility comes out, like when that creature bursts out of somebody's chest in the movie Alien. Most often it's insulting derision at Christians, but it can pop out other times too. It's very odd.
i have noticed that as well,and after many years of life study,and a few years on the forum i have found it generally co-incides with the period from first quarter leading up to full moon!

we discussed the phenonomen in depth here on the forum,for your erudition...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...out-90049.html

and yes it is true men suffer from pmt as well
Old 12-04-2014, 06:43   #1335
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
You know you are probably right. I have never meet him. I live in New Amsterdam and get what you are saying, but posting the Dashew video struck me as un-necessarily ostentatious and in general poor taste.

Maybe was intended, maybe was not, maybe I would feel differently.
So why did you fail to note that the reason I stated for posting it is to show the difference of how the boat was run compared to RH. You don't just rip it out of context, you try to put it in a different context and a sick one at that. It has nothing to do with the size of the boat or the size of my boat; it has to do with how the boat is run, what the crew does, thinks etc.

I can't take your remark about "ostentatious" any other way than as an insult. Shame on you, it's unlike anybody I know from NYC would address a stranger. You don't know me and you are wrong. May be it's just innocent jealousy, may be not. Let's see if my ignore list has room for you.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico