Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 20:02   #1051

Boat: Custom
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Australian Papers finally picked up the story, Why did this US family’s around-the-world attempt spark outrage? | News.com.au

Glad to here your all back safe and sound

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Old 09-04-2014, 20:09   #1052

Boat: None (yet!?)

I am sure the sight that Eric mentions of the sail boat coming alongside the Navy ship with Rebel Heart banners streaming must have brought a tear to their eye.

Well done whoever that was
Old 09-04-2014, 20:13   #1053

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
Sounds more like the beginning to " The Lion Sleeps Tonight".
Of course your right!

I got my African songs confused.
Old 09-04-2014, 20:15   #1054

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome back Rebel Heart family, thanks for taking the time to let us know you got in . We are here for you.
Old 09-04-2014, 20:26   #1055

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
*THIS ARTICLE WAS FACTUAL, AND TRUE*> Every sailor, Eric included, knows that it is their choice and responsibility when putting to Sea, to have their vessel prepared to the best of their knowledge, for it is ultimately their lives and the lives of their crew who depend upon it.

From the article link in your post>"The foil emanated a humming noise and a vibration that Mike and other crewmembers aboard Coyote could hear and feel during tests, the Coast Guard Report noted. It reported that a number of individuals looked at the keel’s foil and bulb through the Coyote’s sight glass while the vessel was underway, but “none of those persons, however, reported seeing any movement of the keel or bulb as the vessel worked in the seas.” < This is true and the concensus of all aboard was that the 'humming' was due to the length and design of the underwater appendage. The 'vibration' was thought to be caused by the 'hum' and dismissed. It was'nt as if the bulb was flopping around all wonky like for anything to have been attributed to it at the time. More from the report>"The report concluded on this point that “the effect these vibrations had on the joint securing the bulb to the foil is unknown.”< which was what the concensus of those aboard at the time (also deduced).

“At the time of the grounding,” the Coast Guard report said, “none of the parties aboard felt that it was serious enough of an incident to require that the Coyote be hauled out of the water or to have the keel inspected. The Concordia project manager, however, did feel the incident was serious enough to conduct an internal examination of the vessel. The responsibility for deciding whether or not to dry dock the Coyote after the grounding was Mike Plant’s. He did not have the vessel dry docked, nor did he have any divers examine the keel. Considering the fact that the keel was a new design, it would have been prudent to have the vessel inspected after the grounding.”

"The Coast Guard noted that “the fact that the vessel was not launched until September of 1992, due to financial delays, probably influenced Plant’s decision not to dry dock the vessel. He was on a tight schedule from the day the vessel was launched through to the day he departed New York City for France. His schedule did not allow for unanticipated delays such as hauling the vessel out of the water.”

Alas, this was a cause to a fatal effect in the end.

His family thanked me for my assistance before, during and after the voyage ended tragically. I did what I could and spent a considerable amount of personal savings in the end. I saw no merit in the original post by S' Monkey to drag a dead sailor's name through the muck in a thread that it had/has no place in. I'll defend his Honor forever....So my coming to Mike's defense S'Monkey was'nt meant to be personal with you, rather, it brought back some very painful memories for me of a great sailor, and friend, who was lost at Sea much too early in his sailing career IMO. I rarely drink, and after I replied to your initial post, I actually had to have 2. I literally sat in my room with the door closed holding my copy of the Memorial Service Card from Mike's passing, one of the very few items I have managed to save through every personal tragedy I have endured since his passing.
I consider all this a bit dramatic and yet interesting consider the fact that you failed to mention the groundings at all in your initial post, while claiming you personally checked the bolts in Newport, which was pre-groundings.
Old 09-04-2014, 20:28   #1056

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Welcome back to the crew of Rebel Heart, as has been said many times already, we are here if and when you need us. Grab the girls and your wife and give them a big hug from all the CFers...
Old 09-04-2014, 21:13   #1057

Boat: Farrier f27

It's great to hear from you Eric and I'm glad you're all back and hopefully have a few weeks to decompress!
Old 09-04-2014, 21:19   #1058

Boat: Woods Banshee 10m catamaran

I am so glad that the crew of Rebel Heart are safe and well...but...

Eric, I wish to remind you of your high and mighty approach to other yachties that have come 'unstuck' and your 'I am a professional and it would never happen to me approach'. Perhaps you have learnt a lesson here...or maybe not...
Remember that our sailing god is a bit of a pervert and '**** happens'

Good luck in getting back on your feet again. You should be a much better sailor for it.
Old 09-04-2014, 21:33   #1059

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

From the Facebook page:

12:29am Apr 10

I spent a few minutes with the Kaufmans tonight, and they wanted to express their gratitude for the rallies of support. They were absolutely blown away by the donations, and so so grateful. Everyone is healthy and ready for some peace and quiet, but they are really looking forward to reconnecting with friends once things have quieted down. Miss Lyra looked absolutely darling, Cora is amazing (duh!), and they are working with someone for help with media. I know they have a loooong road ahead, but I couldn't think a family more suited to the challenge

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-04-2014, 21:36   #1060

saltysam is this really the time to rub salt into a wound? Kick a man while he is down? I disagree with your take on Eric's input on this forum. He has offered much good advice to the uninitiated here with out the "holier than thou" attitude.
Old 09-04-2014, 21:38   #1061

Thanks for the update avb3. It is good to know they in good hands safe and sound.
Old 09-04-2014, 22:18   #1062

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysam View Post
I am so glad that the crew of Rebel Heart are safe and well...but...

Eric, I wish to remind you of your high and mighty approach to other yachties that have come 'unstuck' and your 'I am a professional and it would never happen to me approach'. Perhaps you have learnt a lesson here...or maybe not...
Remember that our sailing god is a bit of a pervert and '**** happens'

Good luck in getting back on your feet again. You should be a much better sailor for it.
My...that was helpful and considerate.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 09-04-2014, 22:38   #1063

Boat: Beneteau 473

Welcome home Eric, Charlotte, Cora and Lyra -- glad you are feeling better Lyra!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 09-04-2014, 22:45   #1064

Welcome back Rebel Heart crew ... you did well!
Old 09-04-2014, 23:33   #1065

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Sad, but great result. Charlotte knows your priorities Eric so lets hope we see that wheel in NZ.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico