Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 09:00   #931
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Boat: Still Searching
Posts: 162
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Just reading the relatively few posts I did read suggests that this likely wouldn't be a movie I'd pay to see, or even want to see. I like happy endings. All we have here is that nobody got hurt.
But I have noticed that boat movies tend not to have really happy endings. Think "Perfect Storm", "Open Water", "All is Lost". Admittedly, All is Lost was ambiguously happy in the last second, but even the ending of Titanic was not a happy ending on the same level as most of its counterparts. For example, consider the movie "Far and Away" vs "Titanic". The drama plot in both were more or less the same concept. Low class guy chasing upper class girl. At the end, the former has them getting everything they ever wanted. The latter has Leo sinking into the abyss.

You might say that it is a parallel with the ordinary mentality vs the cruising mentality. The ordinary mentality is focused on the destination and therefore the ending must be the happy part. The cruising mentality is focused on the journey. It might then require that the journey and the memories that come with it are the happy part, and the ending is of lesser consequence.
__________________

__________________
Certeza is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 09:14   #932
Registered User
 
Macblaze's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Edmonton/PNW
Boat: Hunter 386
Posts: 433
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

"We're safe and headed back to San Diego. I'll talk to the press and answer questions after we catch our breath. Some interesting emails!"

A tweet from @CaptEricKaufman https://twitter.com/CaptEricKaufman/...80812704980993
__________________

__________________
---
Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
Neverforever.ca
Macblaze is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 09:22   #933
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,310
Images: 75
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certeza View Post
But I have noticed that boat movies tend not to have really happy endings. Think "Perfect Storm", "Open Water", "All is Lost". Admittedly, All is Lost was ambiguously happy in the last second, but even the ending of Titanic was not a happy ending on the same level as most of its counterparts. For example, consider the movie "Far and Away" vs "Titanic". The drama plot in both were more or less the same concept. Low class guy chasing upper class girl. At the end, the former has them getting everything they ever wanted. The latter has Leo sinking into the abyss.

You might say that it is a parallel with the ordinary mentality vs the cruising mentality. The ordinary mentality is focused on the destination and therefore the ending must be the happy part. The cruising mentality is focused on the journey. It might then require that the journey and the memories that come with it are the happy part, and the ending is of lesser consequence.
you might throw in a war scenario,and a bit of ethnic tension......and call it "Gone With The Wind"
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 09:27   #934
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
Did you buy stock before reading quarterly reports from the company.?
ROFL!!! GAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!! Funniest dang naive thing I ever heard.
__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 09:44   #935
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2014
Boat: Still Searching
Posts: 162
Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you might throw in a war scenario,and a bit of ethnic tension......and call it "Gone With The Wind"

Yeah, there is nothing saying that "The Rebel Heart" would have to stick to the facts. That's why they say "based" on a true story. There are any number of things that could be thrown in. Cast it with Harry and Sandra and call it "Hope Floats"
__________________
Certeza is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 09:57   #936
Registered User
 
MBLittle's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: St Thomas, USVI
Posts: 542
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Anyone else see the delicious irony in the fact of all the add revenue generated on their website from all the haters tracking them down and complaining about the cost of the rescue?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
MBLittle is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 09:57   #937
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,310
Images: 75
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certeza View Post
Yeah, there is nothing saying that "The Rebel Heart" would have to stick to the facts. That's why they say "based" on a true story. There are any number of things that could be thrown in. Cast it with Harry and Sandra and call it "Hope Floats"
the cast could have a name change to Reb and Scarlett,to protect the innocent.....
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 10:01   #938
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,310
Images: 75
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
Anyone else see the delicious irony in the fact of all the add revenue generated on their website from all the haters tracking them down and complaining about the cost of the rescue?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
must have netted them at least a $700 dollars,you could almost retire on that in Bangladesh
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 10:02   #939
Registered User
 
MBLittle's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: St Thomas, USVI
Posts: 542
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
must have netted them at least a $700 dollars,you could almost retire on that in Bangladesh
Bwahahaha. Touchť

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
MBLittle is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 10:06   #940
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Another nice tribute from another 'boat mom'

http://www.windtraveler.net/2014/04/...s-and.html?m=1

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 10:07   #941
Registered User
 
Autumns Wind's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Key Largo, FL
Boat: Morgan 27
Posts: 151
Images: 1
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

So sorry to hear about the high school stabbing but might take the pressure off Rebel Heart..
http://touch.latimes.com/
__________________
Autumns Wind is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 10:09   #942
Registered User
 
Autumns Wind's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Key Largo, FL
Boat: Morgan 27
Posts: 151
Images: 1
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumns Wind View Post
So sorry to hear about the high school stabbing but might take the pressure off Rebel Heart..
http://touch.latimes.com/
What's better... Taking your kids to sea or sending them to school!!!! There's risks to all of it...
__________________
Autumns Wind is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 10:18   #943
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
I and a couple other people have spent way too much time over the last few days responding to the ugly people that have posted on their facebook page.

I'm pleased to say that 90% of the mean people took down their posts when their own nastiness and lack of compassion was pointed out to them. There are still a couple left, but then some people are just ugly.


"Never try to reason the prejudice out of a man. It was not reasoned into him, and cannot be reasoned out."


-Sydney Smith
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 10:42   #944
Registered User
 
Driftwoods's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Boat: 1987 Morgan 43
Posts: 118
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

I figure if you don't want to just donate, buy Eric's book! Unauthorized Guide to Sailing in Mexico. Make him a best selling author, I'm getting the Kindle edition right now.

That some people will review the book at 1 star and make negative comments when they clearly did not read the book just blows me away.
__________________
s/v Driftwood
In some waterfront areas, driftwood is a major nuisance.
Driftwoods is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 10:42   #945
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Posts: 1,593
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumns Wind View Post
What's better... Taking your kids to sea or sending them to school!!!! There's risks to all of it...
If you follow the logic of all the nay sayers on their blog, we should yell at them for not sending their children to private school with armed security. C'mon with all the violence in schools these days only a low life irresponsible parent would send their child to public school with out a body guard. They could get stabbed or shot because you didn't want to pony up the money for their security.

My son is only 20 months old but I can tell you that I would be far less afraid for his safety and well being off shore, on board a boat, with my wife and I then I would him being in school. Not to mention I can guarantee you the education and life experience he would get before the age of 10 would trump that of most 30 year olds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
"Never try to reason the prejudice out of a man. It was not reasoned into him, and cannot be reasoned out."


-Sydney Smith
Wonderful quote! but it is unfortunate that it is also wonderfully accurate
__________________

__________________
-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:20.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.