Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 21:48   #766

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
YO Monkey Man, I resent your post with regard to Mike's abilities as I sailed often with him when he was not racing offshore. I personally went over the boat with him before he left Newport, and I can assure you the bolts on Coyote were tight at the time of departure. He was a good friend, a mentor, and probably more sailor than you'll ever amount to in your lifetime.

RIP Mike, every time I go sailing you are there along for the ride buddy
That's nice, but the grounding that is suspected to have damaged the keel was in the Chesapeake Bay after leaving Newport. The boat was not pulled after the grounding for inspection before leaving on the fateful crossing, and I'm sure that's what Salty was referring to.
Old 07-04-2014, 22:03   #767
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Can anyone come up with a universal good social media post we could all pass around to get people NOT in our community to understand their side of things.? Trying to post a link on my accounts but I keep becoming long winded when I think. I need something in 200 words or less.

I'm trying to help them look like people non sailing people or non cruising people could relate to without being offensive to my list of people that chose and different way to raise their kids and live.
Old 07-04-2014, 22:10   #768

Boat: Spencer 42 hull 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Chasing Summer

Satdiver ... many of us also have our own fb pages ... if we all make posts on our home page we will reach a vast amount of people. I have already posted on my page.
Old 07-04-2014, 22:13   #769
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Summer View Post
Satdiver ... many of us also have our own fb pages ... if we all make posts on our home page we will reach a vast amount of people. I have already posted on my page.
I'm trying to figure out a good summary without preaching. I'm not good at that and need help on this.
Old 07-04-2014, 22:17   #770
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
Can anyone come up with a universal good social media post we could all pass around to get people NOT in our community to understand their side of things.? Trying to post a link on my accounts but I keep becoming long winded when I think. I need something in 200 words or less.
I think you could be wasting your time. The people that think Rebel Heart (and us cruisers) are crazy and nuts...well...who gives a rats ass what they say and think about Rebel Heart or us anyway. The crew of Rebel Heart and others in the cruising community know who their friends are and who's got their back. The truth is that most drivers on the freeway will just drive by the mom with her kids broken down on the side of the road, either too frightened or too busy to stop and help and that is the world they live in and have made. Then on the other hand we have the cruising community, with the heartfelt concern and offers to help. We have all seen the swarm of dinghys that would head over to a boat around to help.

The people posting the hateful and vile posts on the internet are (in my opinion) not worth the effort to even try and educate, leave that to Oprah and Jerry Springer.
Put your efforts into being a better neighbor and friend to those around you that you can make a difference with.
Old 07-04-2014, 22:17   #771

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out a good summary without preaching. I'm not good at that and need help on this.
You see the way it works is this... We (in the USA) live in a nanny state dictated by the laser beam that the media shines. If it shines on anything long enough they'll tax, ban, or regulate it. The more attention that this picks up in the mainstream the more likely we are to get the laser beam shined on us, and the more likely we are to see some candidate on a stump talking about how he'll save the babies that evil parents take to sea.

Trying to convince people that don't understand adventure that risky choices are valid choices is like squeezing blood from a rock.

I personally have kept completely mute on it on our blog/social media because I feel the best thing we can do PUBLICALLY is brush it off and act like its nothing. Within the community we can take supportive action.
Old 07-04-2014, 22:24   #772
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Taget9000 just nailed the Target!

Best to let the Bread and Circus crowd move onto their next issue de jour and we will take care of our cruising family ourselves.
Old 07-04-2014, 22:47   #773
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
You see the way it works is this... We (in the USA) live in a nanny state dictated by the laser beam that the media shines. If it shines on anything long enough they'll tax, ban, or regulate it. The more attention that this picks up in the mainstream the more likely we are to get the laser beam shined on us, and the more likely we are to see some candidate on a stump talking about how he'll save the babies that evil parents take to sea.

Trying to convince people that don't understand adventure that risky choices are valid choices is like squeezing blood from a rock.

I personally have kept completely mute on it on our blog/social media because I feel the best thing we can do PUBLICALLY is brush it off and act like its nothing. Within the community we can take supportive action.
I've been living on a boat for 40 years while I do agree with your points I'm talking about my own social media not the world.

I'm looking for a good tag to lead into donating to Eric and Charlotte. Every time I start a post I get preachy.

When I was at the naval academy a really good USMC Officer named John Ripley (Navy Cross) RIP told me and I'm paraphrasing.

"If your people on the ground see you living though your commentary they will follow your orders."

I'm a squid so you know it's personal when I'm trying to quote a leatherneck.
Old 07-04-2014, 22:51   #774

Quote:
I've been living on a boat for 40 years while I do agree with your points I'm talking about my own social media not the world.

I'm looking for a good tag to lead into donating to Eric and Charlotte. Every time I start a post I get preachy.

When I was at the naval academy a really good USMC Officer named John Ripley (Navy Cross) RIP told me and I'm paraphrasing. "If your people on the ground see you living though your commentary they will follow your orders."
I understand, I was just making the point for the broader context. If you ever get down to NOLA give us a ring.
Old 07-04-2014, 22:57   #775
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
I understand, I was just making the point for the broader context. If you ever get down to NOLA give us a ring.
I'm in NOLA now where are you?
Old 07-04-2014, 23:04   #776
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I think you could be wasting your time. The people that think Rebel Heart (and us cruisers) are crazy and nuts...well...who gives a rats ass what they say and think about Rebel Heart or us anyway. The crew of Rebel Heart and others in the cruising community know who their friends are and who's got their back. The truth is that most drivers on the freeway will just drive by the mom with her kids broken down on the side of the road, either too frightened or too busy to stop and help and that is the world they live in and have made. Then on the other hand we have the cruising community, with the heartfelt concern and offers to help. We have all seen the swarm of dinghys that would head over to a boat around to help.

The people posting the hateful and vile posts on the internet are (in my opinion) not worth the effort to even try and educate, leave that to Oprah and Jerry Springer.
Put your efforts into being a better neighbor and friend to those around you that you can make a difference with.
I'm not talking to people who know rebel heart or the crew. I'm talking to people who know of me. Most of my 1000 acquaintances of facebook have met me. I need a good quote for those people. I'm like the most interesting man in the world. I don't post often but when I do they follow.
Old 07-04-2014, 23:44   #777

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I'm aghast that the Child Welfare Authorities might get involved here. While sailing has its own set of dangers, it is inherently safer than bicycle riding or almost all other forms of family activities. I guess my parents should have been locked up and the key thrown away (my friends parents too). They allowed us to hike and camp without any supervision deep in the woods, hunt fish, use firearms. Boat - matter of fact virtually anything we wanted to do outdoors (climb up very high trees without harnesses or ropes etc - yup we fell down a couple of times)

Sport Injuries per 100,000 participants/year
Rugby 430
Soccer 199
Cricket 125
Netball 84
Sailing 12

Perhaps they should spend their time putting all the soccer moms in irons.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 08-04-2014, 00:02   #778

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
Tore their drifter!! Heavens to Betsy......limited fuel? Well they are a sailboat??? Drifting....900 miles offshore?????.Yes--send out airplanes, medics, drop inflatable boats....Nobody wants a baby to be ill or die of course...but here is probably more to this story--a whole lot more that should be brought to light but I have plenty of questions, for example--what were they doing out there? With a baby? Without enough fuel? If they used a drifter it was light air--yes? But they ripped it so what's the danger here? And how and why did they use up their fuel presumably so soon after departing? What is missing from this story? Let's stay tuned but I have my hunches....
Sorry man you are way out of line! Not all of us sail the Oceans with 200 gallon tanks of fuel. Also stop being an arm chair Admiral. This guy was living the dream. A dream that many share and few do. Some of those who have are friends. For what ever reason things did not work out for him. Instead of your disdain be a mate and send him a few dollars.
Old 08-04-2014, 00:14   #779
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
Sorry man you are way out of line! Not all of us sail the Oceans with 200 gallon tanks of fuel. Also stop being an arm chair Admiral. This guy was living the dream. A dream that many share and few do. Some of those who have are friends. For what ever reason things did not work out for him. Instead of your disdain be a mate and send him a few dollars.
in pauls defence,and by his own admission,that he is a natural born skeptic.
he did post this BEFORE the true drama of the rescue unfolded.

i would like to think, that it was posted in haste,and not with the vitriol that we are seeing in the media and other sites.
Old 08-04-2014, 00:57   #780

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
I'm a squid so you know it's personal when I'm trying to quote a leatherneck.
Straight up!

I'm headed to Franklin and maybe New Iberia this weekend for the Wooden Boat Festival. Any chance you'll be there?
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico