Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 15:39   #706

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Can someone paste in or summarize the NYT piece? It won't grant me access. . . .
Old 07-04-2014, 15:40   #707

Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV MAKAI View Post
Greenhand, some people are threatening to call child welfare services on her. FYI, CWS in San Diego has a long and filthy reputation. The blog will be used against these loving parents by evil people. Sorry, but the damage the haters can do wont be gone in a week.
Yeah, the govt is in your face for most everything now days. I've been amazed they havent gotten into restricting the cruising life with children. Schooling or proof of home schooling would be one avenue. Another would be "patent lack of safety". I have seen some very happy kids out cruising. Kids that love the outdoor world etc. I have seen some who seemed a bit... umm....out of touch with the reality of social life I guess for lack of other words. I've often wondered how they coped with eventually returning to the hustle and bustle of "normal" life. Get up and go to work every morning at something that may not be your hearts desire? But, one thing I've learned in life, yes kids "learn what they live", but they also come out different... every one of them ... regardless of their environment. Two brothers can be totally differnt coming from the same upbringing. I dont think there is a case for cruising being good or bad... it depends on the kid.
I doubt very much I would do it with a kid under maybe 5 though....

Old 07-04-2014, 15:43   #708

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Thank you NYTs editors

Please read:

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ype=blogs&_r=0
Now that was a well thought out article.
Old 07-04-2014, 15:46   #709

Quote:
Thank you NYTs editors

Please read:

Excellent story! Hopefully others understand a little better because of it!
Old 07-04-2014, 15:46   #710

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Can someone paste in or summarize the NYT piece? It won't grant me access. . . .
It is a well written piece on the "WTF were they thinking" vs. "I wish I had made more choices like them" debates, coming down on the side of making choices outside the box and not living in fear of what other people think.
Old 07-04-2014, 15:47   #711

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I would strongly urge you to reconsider. Your blog may very well inspire other like minded people to do as you did.

Be who you are, be confident in your decisions and abilities, and pay no attention whatsoever to those who want to tear you down. Take good advice from those who are experienced and well intentioned, pay no attention to the drama queens and the naysayers. Living well is the best revenge, and it's own sweet reward.
Well said! I do think we will have a blog when we go. It will be a way for friends and family to follow along and a record for ourselves.

This has taught me to moderate comments, though!
Old 07-04-2014, 15:49   #712

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Thank you NYTs editors

Please read:

Thanks for that one Salty. I just read another lengthy piece on how we are over-protecting our children and producing a bunch of narcissist, but that's another story. It's worth reading if you have the time. The Overprotected Kid - The Atlantic

One things that seems so apparent to me is how afraid we are of "criticism". God forbid anyone here on CF, or in the media, or the general public (thank you Internet forums everywhere) criticize someone. We need to not give others opinion so much power over our lives. Even if you stay home on the couch you will be criticized. Worry more about what other "do" not so much what they "say".
Old 07-04-2014, 15:53   #713

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I've been following this tragic story since it broke. I only know Eric and Charlotte through their posts here, and while I did not always agree with their politics, I have nothing but admiration for their spirit and for their endeavours.

If they choose to share their story with CF, then I will be happy to listen. If they have lessons to offer, I'm sure they will do so. Until then, idle speculation is simply entertainment -- no different than what most of the so-called "news" media does these days.

Give them space and time to recover. They've been through hell. Let them know there is a community that cares about them, but give them time to begin the healing.
Mike, thanks for this post.

A friend of ours ran on a reef and they lost their boat in 1990 in the Tuamotus. They were young people, and the boat was "expensed out." We were among the cruisers who helped them when they arrived in Papeete. All the cruisers wanted to help, and I'll warrant their friends in San Diego will all want the honor of helping out. Incidentally, the folks above went back to work and bought another cruising boat.

PrairieChicken wrote about the relationships we sometimes have with our boats, and having to watch that "family member" killed --or do it yourself--either way is traumatic. There is emotional work to be done, grieving, which takes as long as it takes, and then healing. The setting up of a new household will be healing work, I'm pretty sure. Good hearted people want to help, and I was glad to see someone other than me come out in writing to allow the Kaufmans the gift of butting out for a while, the gift of space and time in which to process what has befallen them.

Please join us in wishing the Kaufmans well, that Lyra's recovery is swift and complete.

Ann
Old 07-04-2014, 16:02   #714
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Wow ! I saw this story all day long on the "Loop" and didnt realize it was "The Rebel"!! I saw their photos and knew who it was right off..Hope all is well with Eric and his family.. Anyone that said something bad and ugly about him/them on this thread, is bad and ugly..He and his wife are sailors and they have got what it takes to "cast off" when others stand around "preparing to cast off"...As far as things going bad, well, "Stuff Happens" ... I hope they get their boat back and "cast off again" and this time, go until they dont want to go anymore...
Old 07-04-2014, 16:11   #715

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Mike, thanks for this post.

A friend of ours ran on a reef and they lost their boat in 1990 in the Tuamotus. They were young people, and the boat was "expensed out." We were among the cruisers who helped them when they arrived in Papeete. All the cruisers wanted to help, and I'll warrant their friends in San Diego will all want the honor of helping out. Incidentally, the folks above went back to work and bought another cruising boat.

PrairieChicken wrote about the relationships we sometimes have with our boats, and having to watch that "family member" killed --or do it yourself--either way is traumatic. There is emotional work to be done, grieving, which takes as long as it takes, and then healing. The setting up of a new household will be healing work, I'm pretty sure. Good hearted people want to help, and I was glad to see someone other than me come out in writing to allow the Kaufmans the gift of butting out for a while, the gift of space and time in which to process what has befallen them.

Please join us in wishing the Kaufmans well, that Lyra's recovery is swift and complete.

Ann
Anne, a very big +1 and Eric and family, I wish you all the best and I know you will make the correct decisions in the near future.
Hang in there.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 07-04-2014, 16:11   #716

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Wow ! I saw this story all day long on the "Loop" and didnt realize it was "The Rebel"!! I saw their photos and knew who it was right off..Hope all is well with Eric and his family.. Anyone that said something bad and ugly about him/them on this thread, is bad and ugly..He and his wife are sailors and they have got what it takes to "cast off" when others stand around "preparing to cast off"...As far as things going bad, well, "Stuff Happens" ... I hope they get their boat back and "cast off again" and this time, go until they dont want to go anymore...
You should read the entire thread before writing. Everyone on here is in FULL support and the boat is at the bottom of the ocean. So it is not coming back according to Pacific Naval Command.
Old 07-04-2014, 16:15   #717
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Thank you NYTs editors

Please read:

Much better light, the ones that object to this lifestyle I like to think are the people that live their lives with the most regret. So many people saying the kids should be taken away or they are not old enough to choose.? I don't remember my parents giving me a choice until after I was off the proverbial nipple. And I think if they were able to choose they would pick their parents over some foster home.

As for the ones that think they should be billed hopefully they don't step out of the confines of their house night and get beat up and mugged. I wonder if they think they should pay a bill to the Police who responded because they chose to take a walk or pay a bill to first responders after a car accident because they chose to drive a car. 70% of my Navy career was tax money spent on my training to be there and know what to do when something calls for my skill set. This was an example of some guys getting a chance to use their skill set and that's what the singed up to do and what our tax dollars already pay them to do.
Old 07-04-2014, 16:37   #718

I've been busy for the past few days and have just heard the Rebel Heart story. I am extremely disappointed, but not surprised, at the insensitivity of the media.

Wishing all the crew of Rebel Heart the best!!!
Old 07-04-2014, 17:00   #719

Boat: PETERSON 44

Slow news week. The navies of the world have photographed all the trash in the Indian Ocean. You can only show a black box that is actually orange so many times. They still haven't realized they keep calling the orange box black. Quality news reporting is almost nonexistent. Better to let keyboard jockies create news.
Impressed with CF and the tone of those with questions and varied points of view.
Best wishes for the rebel crew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2014, 17:06   #720

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Thank you NYTs editors

Please read:

Yes, it was a good article. Also I noticed that coverage has dropped off from the major news coverage. Hope the media has the attention span of a flea.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico