Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 22:21   #556

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
It was his choice yes, but he did have a CHOICE correct? Stay with the boat and not have it sunk or leave with the family. The Navy did not force him to leave, correct?
My understanding is that they basically say now or never, we aren't coming back for you.
Old 06-04-2014, 22:25   #557

Its easy to get into a huff over the loss of a boat, but when you go through something really bad it puts your priorities straight quick, fast, and in a hurry. The guy wanted to go be with his family. Who wouldn't? *things* be damned. Your loved ones are what really matter.

I'm sure its very sad to lose the boat, but the family is safe, and the baby is getting better. That is what really matters. If the dream lives on it does.

And wow, what a feather in the cap of all the rescuers.
Old 06-04-2014, 22:27   #558

One nugget of knowledge that I'm hoping comes out of this is... What was the poor baby afflicted with? What was the initial treatment? And was there anything that could have been brought on board that would have been able to treat her while at sea?

I've yet to consult a doctor to find out what exactly we want to bring in our offshore medicine chest and this really calls that into question. All the personal choice questioning aside, I think that might be the gem of knowledge here.
Old 06-04-2014, 22:27   #559

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
My understanding is that they basically say now or never, we aren't coming back for you.
Of course they would come back, they can not refuse. But I imagine they said once "everyone" is off we will sink the boat because without anyone aboard it becomes a hazard.

And S/V Third Day, I'm not second guessing Eric, I'm just pointing out that he did have a choice. It is not like he was forced to abandon the boat as was implied by transmitterdan.
Old 06-04-2014, 22:28   #560

Wasn't second guessing Eric's decision, he's an individual and free to make whatever decisions he wishes to. I was simply saying what my decision would have been in a similar situation.
Old 06-04-2014, 22:29   #561

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Are you saying they would not have taken off just Charlotte and the kids and left Eric to sail the boat? I find that hard to believe.
I think SOP is for the on-scene commander to 'encourage' an all or nothing deal. They don't want to face a second SAR for the undermanned boat a bit later.
And they (professionally) view one smallboat like all others, not much more than another RIB or panga alongside. Which for those of us who labor and fuss over our pride-and-joy's stings a little.

Personally, I think most bigger ships have the ability to hoist an average sailboat aboard and transport it (with a little rigging effort), but that's not what they're in business for (and think of the per hour expenses).
Particularly with a commissioned warship, there is a significant perceived risk nowadays (standoff/approach limits, etc.) Absurd maybe, but TTWII...
Old 06-04-2014, 22:36   #562

Boat: Moody 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Ahhh yes....we knew it was coming....it always does doesn't it.

Now comes the part when the second guessers, smarter, braver, and better seaman than Eric step in to say what should have been done, what they would have done from the saftey of their internet connection.

Sad...but then we have seen a lot of sad things posted on the internet in the last 36hrs.
+1

Maybe he should of tied the mainsheet around his leg and swam to Mexico towing the boat?

I would be interested in hearing HIS answers on all the decisions made, when and if he is ready. Not to judge, criticise or even scrutinise, but in the hope I might learn from his experience.

Right now though just glad to hear all are safe.
Old 06-04-2014, 22:46   #563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Its easy to get into a huff over the loss of a boat, but when you go through something really bad it puts your priorities straight quick, fast, and in a hurry. ...
Also, people have been known to over react when under stress, and later regret their actions. Just saying.
Old 06-04-2014, 22:52   #564

I'll be interested in hearing what happened as well, but I don't even need to hear that to know that he did the right thing under the circumstances.

Family is way more important than boat, and I think his family will be needing him.
Old 06-04-2014, 22:53   #565

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall View Post

I would be interested in hearing HIS answers on all the decisions made, when and if he is ready. Not to judge, criticize or even scrutinize, but in the hope I might learn from his experience.
Me too, as all my long passages (except for one on my Cal 40 30 years ago) have been on vessels in the 30,000 to 100,000 ton range. One thing that can be said of both Eric and Charlotte's writing, they tell it straight and don't sugar coat the realities.
Old 06-04-2014, 22:55   #566

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

It sounds like he had a choice, and chose to be a loyal father and husband.
Old 06-04-2014, 22:57   #567

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Oh here we go with the moral majority
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 06-04-2014, 22:59   #568

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Oh here we go with the moral majority
And the dicks!
Old 06-04-2014, 23:05   #569

Eric did the right thing staying with his family. There is nothing else to say. For the dick swingers that would have stayed with the boat, after looking at your crystal balls knowing what actually took place. Can you use you psychic powers and pass on the lottery numbers for us poor folk who know nothing more than we can read.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 06-04-2014, 23:09   #570

Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Eric did the right thing staying with his family. There is nothing else to say. For the dick swingers that would have stayed with the boat after looking at your crystal balls knowing what actually took place out there on a scary point in time can you pass on the lottery numbers for us poor folk who know nothing more than we b can read.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

There is no one right thing. Eric did what was best for him. Others may have done differently under the circumstances. He had a choice and chose what was best for him.

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico