Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 16:02   #466
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

I hope after people see how the news media can so easily whip people up into a frenzy based on 1/4 truths that the next time they hear something about people, politicians, etc they pause just for a moment before jumping on the band waggon. I can't help but think of all the lies and 1/2 truths told about others that WE ALL just jump on and run with becuase it fits into our mold and preconceived story line. If the media can't get a simple story like this right...imagine what they are doing in the political world where real analysis of the informaiton is needed...scarry.
__________________

__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline  
Old 06-04-2014, 16:03   #467
Registered User
 
Mark1977's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax, N.S Canada
Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Posts: 930
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

The story was just covered on the local Nova Scotia news. This is very sad, just goes to show that even with a very well prepared boat and crew , **** can happen.
__________________

__________________
Just the guy that runs the boat.
Mark1977 is offline  
Old 06-04-2014, 16:04   #468
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
 
TaoJones's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montrose, Colorado
Posts: 9,850
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
<snip>
No one would want to take it back upwind, would they?
<snip>
Might be better to fly to the Marshall Islands and wait for 12 months!
I wondered about this as well, Mark.

I was thinking specifically about Abbey Sunderland and her RTW quest a few years ago. If memory serves, she had sailed some distance from Marina del Rey toward the equator when she had to reroute to Cabo San Lucas for electrical repairs, but had not actually crossed the equator yet.

What I don't remember is just how far she had to beat to windward to get Wild Eyes back to Cabo, but I believe it took her more than a few days to do so. That would have been in late January/early February, but beating into the prevailing northwesterlies is never a fun experience at any time.

The point, though, is that she did it. And it appears to me that from where Rebel Heart was abandoned, it's actually a better angle than sailing almost due north to get back to Cabo, as Abbey had to do.

To your last point about waiting downwind to retrieve the vessel in twelve months . . . I suspect this will be the most likely outcome. Unless she's been scuttled, as one member reported above.

TaoJones
__________________
"Your vision becomes clear only when you look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks within, awakens."
Carl Gustav Jung (1875-1961)
TaoJones is offline  
Old 06-04-2014, 16:20   #469
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
I wondered about this as well, Mark.

I was thinking specifically about Abbey Sunderland and her RTW quest a few years ago. If memory serves, she had sailed some distance from Marina del Rey toward the equator when she had to reroute to Cabo San Lucas for electrical repairs, but had not actually crossed the equator yet.

What I don't remember is just how far she had to beat to windward to get Wild Eyes back to Cabo, but I believe it took her more than a few days to do so. That would have been in late January/early February, but beating into the prevailing northwesterlies is never a fun experience at any time.

The point, though, is that she did it. And it appears to me that from where Rebel Heart was abandoned, it's actually a better angle than sailing almost due north to get back to Cabo, as Abbey had to do.

To your last point about waiting downwind to retrieve the vessel in twelve months . . . I suspect this will be the most likely outcome. Unless she's been scuttled, as one member reported above.

TaoJones
i can see why some one started a thread "how many sailors are there actually on the forum,that have sailed more than 200 miles offshore"

900 miles to windward is only half an east to west medittereanean passage!
or a south to north red sea passage that has much stronger headwinds to boot

after july the winds there are predominately westerly so waiting in costa rica might be a better option than the marshall islands.

chances are if not salvaged in the very near future the boat will be stripped by longliners,taking everything including the halyards in the mast.
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is online now  
Old 06-04-2014, 16:21   #470
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Penobscot Bay, Maine
Boat: Tayana 47
Posts: 995
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I hope after people see how the news media can so easily whip people up into a frenzy based on 1/4 truths that the next time they hear something about people, politicians, etc they pause just for a moment before jumping on the band waggon. I can't help but think of all the lies and 1/2 truths told about others that WE ALL just jump on and run with becuase it fits into our mold and preconceived story line. If the media can't get a simple story like this right...imagine what they are doing in the political world where real analysis of the informaiton is needed...scarry.
I've also noticed this many times before. Almost every time I happen to have had first hand experience and knowledge of something that's reported in either the local or national media, I've been amazed at how they screw it up by saying completely untrue things or by leaving out critically important information which changes any conclusions you might draw, or a combination of those two. Reporters can't be experts on everything so I can understand an honest mistake in a story, but after awhile many seem to think they are all around experts, so when in doubt, they just fill in the blanks with what they think logical or whatever suits their political persuasion or will bring them the biggest headline. It's a rare reporter who still takes pride in doing whatever research is necessary and then simply telling the story as factually and completely and simply as possible. Now it's all about getting their story to the top of the page, making themselves bigger than the story, a splashy headline, putting their own personal spin on it, or advocating for whatever side they think is more right, and they don't even seem to realize that's not really journalism at all. Large grains of salt needed no matter where we get the news!
__________________
jtsailjt is offline  
Old 06-04-2014, 16:27   #471
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,157
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
This incident has raised in Insurance Question for me:

Assuming you have good coverage if you abandon your boat like in this situation...will the insurance Company pay out? Or will they say...hey...you chose to abaondon her?

I just read throug my policy and can't find anything about that situation.


Any thoughs or experiences?

I have no experience in this, but my thoughts are, if the Navy told him to get aboard the frigate, he didn't really choose to abandon the boat, he was forced to due to the circumstances or conditions.
__________________
socaldmax is online now  
Old 06-04-2014, 16:33   #472
Registered User
 
sparau's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: sunshine coast, aus
Boat: laser 2
Posts: 300
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Someone mentioned above it is well provisioned, Atoll (I'm sure you already have this in mind), I'd be somewhat careful of what I ate in case the source of salmonella is onboard if the salvage plan goes ahead.
__________________
laser 2 with a 470 main = tippy little boat
sparau is offline  
Old 06-04-2014, 16:35   #473
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I have no experience in this, but my thoughts are, if the Navy told him to get aboard the frigate, he didn't really choose to abandon the boat, he was forced to due to the circumstances or conditions.
The Navy can not force him to abandon the boat in the open ocean. They may strongly suggest of course.
__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline  
Old 06-04-2014, 16:43   #474
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch
Posts: 160
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

I just read a news report that "the authorities" are scuttling the boat.
__________________
kbudd is offline  
Old 06-04-2014, 16:51   #475
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Boat: Catalina 36
Posts: 282
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

I'll apologize in advance for being unkind, but I just had to share this comment from a poster on Yahoo:

Quote:
Their voyage is described in the article (and an earlier one) as around-the-world. Since they were heading for New Zealand, it is to be assumed that they weren't going via the Suez and Panama canals but around the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Horn. With an infant and a toddler!!! Incredible. These are dangerous trips in larger boats, but in a small sailboat with only two adults to man her, that seems scary. And if they ran into foul weather (likely around Cape Horn, particularly) who'd look after the children while parents are trying to keep the ship going?
__________________
The Other Woman
CatInHand is offline  
Old 06-04-2014, 16:57   #476
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand
I'll apologize in advance for being unkind, but I just had to share this comment from a poster on Yahoo:
Why are you reading this, and why are you bringing it here? I'm failing to see what it adds.
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline  
Old 06-04-2014, 16:59   #477
Registered User
 
Piglet's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Boat: nothing
Posts: 164
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Just read the comments on Rebel Heart's blog. I don't know if there is a Satan, but if there is I'm pretty confident he invented the comment section of web pages. Wow.
__________________
Piglet is offline  
Old 06-04-2014, 16:59   #478
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Boat: Catalina 36
Posts: 282
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

It says quite a bit about the type of person who posts negative things to this type of situation.
__________________
The Other Woman
CatInHand is offline  
Old 06-04-2014, 17:12   #479
Registered User
 
sww914's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Punta De Mita
Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Posts: 1,842
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

I'm happy to note that nearly all of the super negative comments on the blog and news sites contain poor spelling and horrible punctuation.
__________________
Steve
http://www.landfallvoyages.com
sww914 is offline  
Old 06-04-2014, 17:15   #480
Registered User
 
dpddj's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Maine, USA
Boat: Leopard 40
Posts: 266
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Horror Hotel - I can understand why you would think NPR was a war cry for the simple minded.
__________________

__________________
dpddj is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:41.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.