Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 19:23   #286
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
all speculative now they are abandoning the boat.

minarete/wotaname are you interested in setting up a rescue fund like last time.
if i can locate a yacht to get me onboard, my mate oflo on his 40 ft catamaran is currently in panama.

No problem, I'm sure we can get you there. Run the numbers and let me know how I can help.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 05-04-2014, 19:30   #287
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
No problem, I'm sure we can get you there. Run the numbers and let me know how I can help.
in contact with sairah ,erics sister now, hopefully will be able to speak to eric soon and see what we can do.

toby on orinoco flo was still in panama 2 days ago so hopefully he hasent left yet and could accomodate a salvage mission,still waiting to hear from him.
Old 05-04-2014, 19:34   #288

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
I don't suppose there are many blue-water sailors who have high-level sport parachutist and swimming qualifications.
Just military static line experience but would love to do free fall some time. I like the idea of getting dropped off to help get their boat back to land and back to them. If only I was able to.
Old 05-04-2014, 19:36   #289
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
see what happens in the next 24 hrs,will get onto fb and contact his sister in the mean time and get some comms sorted.

any body have an idea if the boat has a tracker that would keep transmitting for the next 3-4 weeks ?
You could use a itrack system but who ever you send out will need the receiver. Most modern AIS systems if triggered will continue to produce a weak signal.

Best thing to do is to get the vessels last known location and look at the current and weather maps.

Or he could hard wire the pirb to the deep cycle.

When I was in the navy sat diving I had to do Artic work and we used to ware something called a SWR (short wave receiver) that way if we expired and got caught in the current under ice they could find us a season later. The battery life last over a year. I'm not sure if this is in commercial use but I would assume it is because it was a cheap technology then and it is now.
Old 05-04-2014, 19:37   #290
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
in contact with sairah ,erics sister now, hopefully will be able to speak to eric soon and see what we can do.

toby on orinoco flo was still in panama 2 days ago so hopefully he hasent left yet and could accomodate a salvage mission,still waiting to hear from him.

Let me know what Eric decides is right when you hear from him. I'm sure many others here would contribute as well, if it comes to that.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 05-04-2014, 19:42   #291

Boat: PETERSON 44

+1 good effort. Hope that can get some tracking going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2014, 19:47   #292
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

How many infants are (or until recently were) killed every year by cribs and porch railings? Because now, there are building code standards banning railings set more than 4" apart because of the number of kids who got their heads stuck and died. And handrail railings indoors. And, cribs with slats spaced too widely are now banned from consumer sales although parents keep buying them from second hand stores or taking them out of attics.

So to those who say a one year old isn't safe on a boat...or shouldn't be kept on a boat...One might also suggest infants shouldn't be kept in cribs or homes on land. Or in cars, because surely everyone has seen recent nooze reports of infants left in cars, dead of heat exhaustion? Infants riding in car seats, when the car was carjacked along with the infant?

Nope, can't let them in cars, either.

And sailors who get severe food poisoning? Unlike the 1/4 million or so Americans who go to hospitals for food poisoning on land every year?

Sounds like RH & Charlotte got hit by one of those extremely unlikely combinations of bad luck & worse luck and then, one of the gods must have smiled on them because extreme military SAR capabilities just aren't usually used, much less available to be used.

Salmonella is actually pretty common and you can get a fatal dose of it even from peanut butter. There were recalls about that a couple of years ago, a major national supplier had a damp warehouse or something, that's all it took to get the peanuts going wrong. You don't need eggs or poultry to get it, although those are the common forms.

Now add the complication of an infant, unable to speak or communicate, and probably in extreme gastric distress, pain, fevered...Bad luck followed by worse and the same or worse could happen to any one of us at any age, on land or sea.

Absolutely incredible that they had the communications options, and that they could be reached by a military SAR response. And I think the tag line needs to be proudly applied:

"Only in America!"

There aren't too many organizations that could have pulled off the rescue.
Old 05-04-2014, 19:52   #293
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

Well, the Ruskies could have, but they would have invaded and annexed the Marquesas, the Galapagos, and Panama to get there.
Old 05-04-2014, 20:04   #294
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Well, the Ruskies could have, but they would have invaded and annexed the Marquesas, the Galapagos, and Panama to get there.
You just crack me up. Way to funny, glad you added that.
Old 05-04-2014, 20:06   #295
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
How many infants are (or until recently were) killed every year by cribs and porch railings? Because now, there are building code standards banning railings set more than 4" apart because of the number of kids who got their heads stuck and died. And handrail railings indoors. And, cribs with slats spaced too widely are now banned from consumer sales although parents keep buying them from second hand stores or taking them out of attics.

So to those who say a one year old isn't safe on a boat...or shouldn't be kept on a boat...One might also suggest infants shouldn't be kept in cribs or homes on land. Or in cars, because surely everyone has seen recent nooze reports of infants left in cars, dead of heat exhaustion? Infants riding in car seats, when the car was carjacked along with the infant?

Nope, can't let them in cars, either.

And sailors who get severe food poisoning? Unlike the 1/4 million or so Americans who go to hospitals for food poisoning on land every year?

Sounds like RH & Charlotte got hit by one of those extremely unlikely combinations of bad luck & worse luck and then, one of the gods must have smiled on them because extreme military SAR capabilities just aren't usually used, much less available to be used.

Salmonella is actually pretty common and you can get a fatal dose of it even from peanut butter. There were recalls about that a couple of years ago, a major national supplier had a damp warehouse or something, that's all it took to get the peanuts going wrong. You don't need eggs or poultry to get it, although those are the common forms.

Now add the complication of an infant, unable to speak or communicate, and probably in extreme gastric distress, pain, fevered...Bad luck followed by worse and the same or worse could happen to any one of us at any age, on land or sea.

Absolutely incredible that they had the communications options, and that they could be reached by a military SAR response. And I think the tag line needs to be proudly applied:

"Only in America!"

Chilean Navy Picked up my mother and sister in 1975 600+nm sw off of Valdivia. Took them less than 72 hours to find us. All done with CR relays and LORAN.
Old 05-04-2014, 20:12   #296
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
all speculative now they are abandoning the boat.

minarete/wotaname are you interested in setting up a rescue fund like last time.
if i can locate a yacht to get me onboard, my mate oflo on his 40 ft catamaran is currently in panama.
Well I am here to help but as you know I am a long long way away from the action (unlike last time).

I think any set up or control of banking or funds etc should be based in USA as that is where the main players will be.

I will certainly be contributing $ if this gets off the ground. At this stage I am speculating that Eric will be able to communicate with us soon as this will help us to get some traction on the best course of action to take.

In the meantime, let's keep the ideas flowing in...

And if there is anything you think I can help with, please let me know.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 05-04-2014, 20:16   #297

Boat: 1985 Catalina 30 Std Rig

I'm just getting into sailing but imagining losing my boat like this is a heartbreaking thought. I would be willing to contribute as well.
Old 05-04-2014, 20:19   #298

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
In early January, Charlotte and her sister Sariah outed their father on Charlotte's blog for molesting them when they were adolescents. They have many siblings, and one sister and one brother attacked them for revealing what their father had done.

The brother who was opposed to their revelations sent Charlotte an email stating, "You get uglier with very [sic] passing year. Get back on your boat and disappear." (From Charlotte's Blog of January 19, 2014)

Was it the brother who appears in the channel 7 piece? I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me. At the very least, her brother James obviously doesn't understand the value and appropriateness of a simple, "No comment."

TaoJones
Was this really necessary? Lets keep the laundry washing off a sailing forum.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 05-04-2014, 20:21   #299

Money doesn't buy happiness, but if it helps the Rebel Heart crew or helps save the boat I will give what I can.
Old 05-04-2014, 20:21   #300
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Let me know what Eric decides is right when you hear from him. I'm sure many others here would contribute as well, if it comes to that.
well i'm up for it if we can get the ducks in a row.
bags are still packed from the last trip!

emailed oflo to see if toby can accomodate a little detour.

going to punch out some zedz now zzzzzzzzz
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico