Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 14:54   #241

Boat: too many
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Is there any news source that that doesn't let the facts get in the way of their reporting? Does one exist?
The new show called Vice on HBO, with Bill Maher as executive producer.
Old 05-04-2014, 15:07   #242

I wasn't going to read the comments on the Daily Mail because I suspected what I might find there, but there was so much focus on it from here that I couldn't resist.

Here's a caution I'd just throw out there. I'm not sure it's helpful to call people you don't know idiots or ignorant on a public forum just because they don't agree with you.

The people on this forum generally "get it" with respect to cruising. The people commenting on the Daily Mail are feeling a bit confirmed with their choices not to take their small children to sea. Both have valid perspectives, even if the landlubbers are a little misguided. Probably the better approach on other forums (and this one as well, usually) would be to share your opinion without insulting the rest of the readers.
Old 05-04-2014, 15:11   #243
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
This is cruisers forum I would 100% expect everyone here to support this life style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Lol. A bit of a far fetched expectation.
The last time I looked all the cruising countries, including the USA, were democracies.

We can all have our own opinions.

I certainly agree with Eric and Charlotte, but thats just my opinion.

As we can see from the blog comments and news comments people have a verity of methods of living life and raising children.
Thank goodness we are allowed to, mostly, go by our own methods.

Finally, many who are critical of young people cruising long range are jealous. They are stuck with their nose to the grindstone and fail to see how and why others cut the strings.

Mark
+1

Brutal public opinion. The only thing I read that did make some sense was the concept of waiting until the children can actually remember the experience before setting off for the adventure, unless your goal was to never stop. I would have loved to do this as a child but unfortunately can't remember anything before the age of 6 or 7. So it would have been lost on me.
Old 05-04-2014, 15:27   #244

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Rebel Heart made the 6 o'clock news here in Nova Scotia. I post this as I was really pleased to see factual, unbiased coverage.
Old 05-04-2014, 15:50   #245

Boat: too many

These are the type of family adventures Eric and Charlotte are looking forwards to, I hope they can continue and more power to them.

s/v Field Trip
Old 05-04-2014, 15:51   #246

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch

I have been trying to fend off the opinionated, meanies over on Rebel Heart's facebook page.

I know it is a public page - but in light of what is going on - I don't think non-cruising, non-sailing people's acidic, biting remarks are at all appropriate, let alone their posts and volleying back and forth...enough already!

I think I at least inspired one of them to delete their post from hell this morning...
Old 05-04-2014, 15:53   #247

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

What this incident demonstrates is that there is risk in crossing oceans some of which can be mitigated by good preparation and some not. Those who choose to reap the benefits of the experience must bear the burden of the potential risks. Not much different than getting in a automobile. Is the car in good condition is the driver competent awake and sober etc? Would I take my small children on a small boat trans pacific no, but we are all different with somewhat different standards. If the crew was capable and the boat properly prepared then it becomes a personal moral issue and I know of no laws being broken. What I notice on this and other sites is that there are clueless individuals who think crossing an ocean would be great fun. From some of their posts it becomes apparent they know little about what they intend to do. Unfortunately their are those who encourage these clueless newbies. From the posts I do not think this is the case here. But its good to remember what can happen out there especially to the newbie clueless posters.
Old 05-04-2014, 15:56   #248

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post

People spend too much time speculating what they think they know about situations rather than basing anything on experience. .

People (governments) spend too much time diligently trying to control the lives & lifestyles of others.

Don't take stuff that is not yours & Do no harm.
Old 05-04-2014, 15:58   #249

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I wasn't going to read the comments on the Daily Mail because I suspected what I might find there, but there was so much focus on it from here that I couldn't resist.

Here's a caution I'd just throw out there. I'm not sure it's helpful to call people you don't know idiots or ignorant on a public forum just because they don't agree with you.

The people on this forum generally "get it" with respect to cruising. The people commenting on the Daily Mail are feeling a bit confirmed with their choices not to take their small children to sea. Both have valid perspectives, even if the landlubbers are a little misguided. Probably the better approach on other forums (and this one as well, usually) would be to share your opinion without insulting the rest of the readers.
Exactly! They are not looking at it from the perspective of boaters, a life at sea, but from their own concern, from their own perspectives and experiences on land. As parents loving their own children. Just as we think we widen our horizons, we narrow our ability to see though others eyes. Walk in their shoes. There is nothing more horrifying than holding an infant, especially your own, watching life slip away from them, knowing full well there is nothing you can do personally, without intervention, to reverse the situation. Wish anyone may never experience that horror.
Old 05-04-2014, 16:03   #250

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

So apparently my wife is roaming around the world's biggest news sites calling Eric & Charlotte's detractors "turdnibblers" in the comments sections.
Old 05-04-2014, 16:07   #251

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
So apparently my wife is roaming around the world's biggest news sites calling Eric & Charlotte's detractors "turdnibblers" in the comments sections.
LoL now thats funny!
Old 05-04-2014, 16:12   #252

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

So, if Eric abandons ship with the girls, is there any way we can save their boat? Do you think that pangas have the range when filled with gas? Is anyone willing to go for a 3 day panga ride, fix the boat and a 10 day sail back? Can we raise the money? Could we raise the money to pay for fuel for a sportfisher to make the run out?
Old 05-04-2014, 16:16   #253

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Quote:
LoL now thats funny!
Old 05-04-2014, 16:21   #254

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
So, if Eric abandons ship with the girls, is there any way we can save their boat? Do you think that pangas have the range when filled with gas? Is anyone willing to go for a 3 day panga ride, fix the boat and a 10 day sail back? Can we raise the money? Could we raise the money to pay for fuel for a sportfisher to make the run out?
I'm thinking the boat is fully insured an they have the money otherwise to hire salvage. I could be wrong. So sure! Either way could/would be a great adventure and help to them I'd wait and check with him first though before setting up rescue mission.
Old 05-04-2014, 16:35   #255
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm down with your suggestion, sww914, but my fear is that Eric is too responsible to just abandon Rebel Heart to the wind and waves. He will more than likely open the seacocks after they've removed any irreplaceable treasures they can and be the last person off the vessel.

If not, and she's left to her fate, there's every chance the navy will use her for target practice. ::shudder::

It's still my hope that he will stay aboard and will sail Rebel Heart back to Cabo. There's really nothing more he can do to assist his family in the medical sense, but the media shitstorm that will surely greet them when they return to San Diego could well require that he's there to try to protect them from the assault.

I'm glad I've never been in the position he's in now and faced making a very, very difficult choice regarding the continued existence of my vessel.

TaoJones

PS: If Tamiko is your wife, sww914, she rocks! Her putdown of the "turdnibblers" is classic.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico