Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 09:48   #196

Boat: too many
Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

An opportunity has presented itself to defend both Eric and the family cruising lifestyle. As all are aware the Mail has picked up the story and run with it. In their typical sensationalism reporting, they for some reason gave Eric a fair shake, but their massive audience in the comments section have not. Take the time to sign up to Mail and leave well constructed comments. Lets try to educate the masses that raising children to be confident, nonjudgmental, and happy by spending serious amounts of time with them cruising beats letting TV and video games do the molding of their characters.

'Are we there yet?' Family's round-the-world sailing trip ends after just two weeks as sea sickness and broken boat turn dream voyage into a nightmare | Mail Online
Old 05-04-2014, 09:50   #197

Boat: Hunter 50 CC

Wishing all the best to Eric and family.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:52   #198

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Thanks for posting Beersmith. Don't know Rebel Heart other than from posts, but it sounds to me like he's made the right moves in a bad situation so far.

Tough few days for them for sure. Best wishes for them to get the family and boat back safe.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Old 05-04-2014, 09:56   #199

It was on CNN this am with photos etc. Reportedly the navy is taking "the family" off tonite or in the am. whatever that means.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:13   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
An opportunity has presented itself to defend both Eric and the family cruising lifestyle. As all are aware the Mail has picked up the story and run with it. In their typical sensationalism reporting, they for some reason gave Eric a fair shake, but their massive audience in the comments section have not. Take the time to sign up to Mail and leave well constructed comments.
Apparently the Mail also censors their comments. Mine never show up. I guess they don't like me pointing out the factual inaccuracies in their article.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:21   #201

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
An opportunity has presented itself to defend both Eric and the family cruising lifestyle. As all are aware the Mail has picked up the story and run with it. In their typical sensationalism reporting, they for some reason gave Eric a fair shake, but their massive audience in the comments section have not. Take the time to sign up to Mail and leave well constructed comments. Lets try to educate the masses that raising children to be confident, nonjudgmental, and happy by spending serious amounts of time with them cruising beats letting TV and video games do the molding of their characters.

'Are we there yet?' Family's round-the-world sailing trip ends after just two weeks as sea sickness and broken boat turn dream voyage into a nightmare | Mail Online
Good for you, Bob.

I'm afraid I don't have the stomach to tangle with people who've never been out of sight of land (or who've never been to sea at all) but who nevertheless don't hesitate to declare people they don't know, doing something they don't have the slightest clue about, to be "idiots". And who furthermore presume that anyone finds their opinions interesting!

A bit of thread drift -- but does it bother no one that Eric & Charlotte's blog is used, as if, against them, in public, and to a mass audience? Every blog post analyzed and commented on by strangers? Every family photo peered at? This is exactly why I do not have Facebook, and would never keep a publically accessible sailing blog. I have never been able to understand the naive exhibitionism of our age.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:23   #202
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

The Daily Mail low lifes are now posting on Charlottes section of their blog.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 05-04-2014, 10:28   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Apparently the Mail also censors their comments. Mine never show up. I guess they don't like me pointing out the factual inaccuracies in their article.
Raindog,

I tried to comment just taking the shortcut of using my FB registration and it didn't work. When I took the time to sign up to The Mail and confirm via email, I was in.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:29   #204
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Imagine, you set off into the wild blue water glad to be on your private journey with your family, and suddenly overnight you are in every bloody news organization report in the world, including the Mail?? OMG I pity them.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:32   #205

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

What I worry about is the ridiculous comments posted on the news articles inciting some sort of California CPS witch hunt.

Here's to hoping for the best.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:34   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Good for you, Bob.

I'm afraid I don't have the stomach to tangle with people who've never been out of sight of land (or who've never been to sea at all) but who nevertheless don't hesitate to declare people they don't know, doing something they don't have the slightest clue about, to be "idiots". And who furthermore presume that anyone finds their opinions interesting!

A bit of thread drift -- but does it bother no one that Eric & Charlotte's blog is used, as if, against them, in public, and to a mass audience? Every blog post analyzed and commented on by strangers? Every family photo peered at? This is exactly why I do not have Facebook, and would never keep a publically accessible sailing blog. I have never been able to understand the naive exhibitionism of our age.
I view it this way, had I never followed Robin Graham's adventures with S/V Dove in Nat Geo in the late 60's, I might have chosen a different life path and be like those with the negative comments. Since The Mail has such a large following, just maybe others might be enlightened by our posting there as I was by National Geographic's coverage of Dove.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:46   #207

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
I view it this way, had I never followed Robin Graham's adventures with S/V Dove in Nat Geo in the late 60's, I might have chosen a different life path and be like those with the negative comments. Since The Mail has such a large following, just maybe others might be enlightened by our posting there as I was by National Geographic's coverage of Dove.
Our posting in the Mail comments section would undoubtedly be useful and enlightening. I never questioned that. Kudos to you, Bob.

On the other question: allowing National Geographic to write about you, and simply self-publishing to the whole world everything you do, think and say every day, together with extensive photographic evidence, are two entirely different things. Twitter is even worse! I really feel sorry for Eric and Charlotte right now.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:52   #208
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Me as well, and they don't even know what's coming yet, wait till they step foot on land and back to this new reality.

Ugh.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 05-04-2014, 11:08   #209

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Imagine, you set off into the wild blue water glad to be on your private journey with your family, and suddenly overnight you are in every bloody news organization report in the world, including the Mail?? OMG I pity them.
Indeed.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:10   #210

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I don't understand this discussion about rescue costs. A sick child is always terrifying and on a sailboat much more so. Is there any skipper let alone any father that would factor the cost into account?

Cruising on a sailboat does have some dangers, and medical emergencies are the hardest to prevent. Rebel Heart was a very well prepared cruising boat.

Eric, Charlotte, Cora and Lyra, we are thinking about you and wishing you the best.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico