Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 04:51   #181

Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

The story is on dailey mail uk. Ive been taking a beating defending people that get out and live life. Instead of people mearly ecisting behind locked doors. . Eric you rock people like eric and his wife are out living life instead of dreaming about it
Old 05-04-2014, 05:42   #182
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Ohhh man, the Daily Mail has jumped on the "bash wagon"

See here for link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nightmare.html

Many many low life's commenting and you can imagine the content of the posts.

I can't imagine Erik and Charlotte want any of this type of fame. They will probably want to keep their heads down for awhile on their return.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 05-04-2014, 05:53   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Ohhh man, the Daily Mail has jumped on the "bash wagon"

See here for link:

'Are we there yet?' Family's round-the-world sailing trip ends after just two weeks as sea sickness and broken boat turn dream voyage into a nightmare | Mail Online

Many many low life's commenting and you can imagine the content of the posts.

I can't imagine Erik and Charlotte want any of this type of fame. They will probably want to keep their heads down for awhile on their return.
my user name on DM. Is just the facts. . I having a great time over there. One post of mine..... I was on a boat before I was born. This story is much like I grew up my dad was the salty old sailor (big compliment) we lived on one of our boats for 3 years seeing the world. Living it and remembering it is amazing. While my friends were in to drugs and partying dieing in car accidents. I was seeing the world....... my sister was four my brother was 11 mos and I was still in the oven.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:55   #184

Boat: Valiant 42

The story isn't that bad. It must be a slow news day in London. Anyway, nobody believes half of what's in the "Mail" and the other half is mindless blather. The difficulty for us foreigners is knowing which is which.

We hope the family will be ok and wish them well.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:58   #185

Im proud to have the most red arrows aka worst rated comments. Because 99.9 percent of the fools. A. Have never been on a boat and B. Exist and not live life behind locked doors.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:15   #186

When it comes to speculation the news is just about as bad as sailing forums, lol. Good to hear the baby appears to be on the mend and everyone is safe.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:28   #187
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I fully support families going for it regardless of age. What I care about is the knowledge and experience of the crew, which is not much related to their age, and the suitability of the boat and how it is equipped.

There is always a mistake when things go wrong. Reading this all, I think the mistake is about the provisioning/food or the way it was prepared. Not a case of bad luck. I know that it is often not so simple and many things could have contributed to the salmonella outbreak.

Knowing Eric from CF, I think he is a good sailor and his boat was all in good order. I think he will try to bring the boat back to harbor, as well as keep his family safe. It is not "just a boat that can be replaced". If you think about a boat that way you probably don't deserve her (yes, "her", not "it", which probably is how you recognize the two camps).

Torn drifters, lack of wind, self-steering etc. will not be what would make Eric abandon Rebel Heart. It would be a psychological/emotional surrender, with all that took place imho. With the knowledge that his girls are safe, I hope he'll be tough as nails and take care of Rebel Heart next.

p.s. I think it is fine to discuss what went wrong as long as it is factual. I'm pretty sure they can take it, accept that's part of it, counter it where it needs to and I would actually fear for the ones who earn Charlotte's wrath :s

Old 05-04-2014, 06:47   #188

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
The story isn't that bad. It must be a slow news day in London. Anyway, nobody believes half of what's in the "Mail" and the other half is mindless blather. The difficulty for us foreigners is knowing which is which.

We hope the family will be ok and wish them well.
Agree, not so bad. The 'bad' was the vitriol of the comments. Uniformly accusatory, moralistic & holier than thou. I left an opposing point of view that will, no doubt, be roundly picked apart. I don't plan to check.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:27   #189

I read the article, but not the comments. The article really didn't seem that bad, or even inaccurate. I thought it cast them in a positive light.

People do make incorrect assumptions and rude comments, but I think it's also a mistake to bash people who disagree with you about cruising. They don't have the same background, understanding, or sympathy for the couple that this community has.

I also don't think it's bad if people realize the hardships encountered by cruising families. It's not Disney World. This particular family has a lot of sailing experience, and is extraordinarily prepared for these hardships, and they STILL encountered problems.

Our community realizes that it's premature to assess what went wrong from the bits of information provided, though lots of details have come through. The press, on the other hand, have to do a news story on the information they have. This article relied heavily on their blog, and so a lot of Eric's and Charlotte's opinions are reflected in it.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:32   #190

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I just now heard about their situation. I really hope everything turns out well for them.

The comments in that Daily Mail article just shows how much people don't know. They can stay in their cubicle not following their dreams.

It's funny how some say their boat is so small. They got a great boat for what they're doing.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:06   #191

This is the third article I have read "their trip ended after just two weeks". That is lame. I seem to recall they have been traveling for more like two years.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:13   #192
cruiser

Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

And it didn't really end did it, fix a few things and be back on the water 2 weeks from now.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:49   #193
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I envy that kid's life. Oh to have grown up sailing from the beginning. And good save, Captain Dad.

As for the "costs".. we're living in a world where first ladies spend more than that on short vacations. Repeatedly. And nothing is learned or saved.
If you had a vote to where your tax dollars are being spent, which would you vote for?
And we're all a little safer because the SAR personnel involved got the chance to train in a live situation. You can't buy experience.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:17   #194
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

All about the movie rights now......
Old 05-04-2014, 09:27   #195

Boat: Westerly Centaur

Best wishes to Rebel heart and family. I hope, once repairs are made, baby recovered and nerves calmed you can continue on your wonderful adventure.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico