Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 14:33   #1

Boat: Beneteau 36CC
Fort Lauderdale Purchase Help Desired

Attention All :

I am hoping that the collective wisdom of the forum may help me.
The story is a little complicated so please bear with me . . .

Backstory :
My first major boat purchase so I definitely qualify as having a bunch of naive rookie questions:
* 36 foot Beneteau is for sale in Fort Lauderdale but registered in Australia;
* Seller was based in Florida, but now resides in Australia;
* Boat docked at a private jetty that belonging to a friend;
* Private Sale - no brokers involved at this time; Are they needed??
* Payment will be transferred to Australian bank and registration will continue in Australia as I am an Australian citizen;

First Questions that come to mind:

1/ I would like to have a full title search done - boat was originally built in France, brought to the Caribbean and then sold several years ago to the present owner. Previous flags I am aware of are German and Australian.
- any recommendations for a Documentation Company in the Ft Lauderdale area?

2/ It is possible, (depending on the seller's time line) that neither the seller nor myself as the Buyer will be available to participate in the survey, thus HELP is needed with:
a/ finding a Certified Surveyor in the Fort Lauderdale area that is reasonably flexible;
b/ understanding what options (commercial or otherwise) exist for moving the boat from the private jetty to a reliable boatyard so it can be hauled for a full inspection, then returned to the same private jetty;

3/ Is anyone aware of a company that can act as an escrow agent to hold a deposit cheque until closing?

AND FINALLY (for now at least) does anyone have a recommendation for a marina in the greater Ft Lauderdale area that will accommodate a monthly (or two) slip rental while I transition to cruising status and attend to any maintenance issues that may be needed?

Any other suggestions / comments are welcome at this time - the more the merrier . . .

Steve
- a newbie but one who follows the threads daily and has begun the learning journey
stevo_002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 15:10   #2

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Re: Fort Lauderdale Purchase Help Desired

Wow, lots of obstacles between you and this boat.

I bought one from an absent owner, the seller paid an attorney to handle everything that the seller normally would. We gave the attorney a certified check, he held the documents and keys until it cleared, then handed everything over.

If neither of you will be present, that's a bit more challenging. Where are the ownership documents and keys? Who's doing what? Who's signing what might need to be signed? Where are those signed documents being sent? Good luck.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-08-2016, 07:26   #3

Boat: Catalina 36, MK2 #1897

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is and not worth the hassle. Given you probably might in the long run venture in waters out of the territorial US, you might find overseas liens or issues with the boat when clearing customs at home or abroad. There are too many sailboats out there looking for a good home. Best of luck to you.

Sent by P Gutierrez, 5th Catalina owner
Pgutierrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 14:41   #4

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

You could hire ASAP documentation to handle the paper work. If she is flagged in Australia any Liens should be recorded there. ASAP would hold payment in escrow until ownership is transferred. Australian authority's would not let that happen if there were any problems. http://www.registeryourboat.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 19:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave852 View Post
You could hire ASAP documentation to handle the paper work. If she is flagged in Australia any Liens should be recorded there. ASAP would hold payment in escrow until ownership is transferred. Australian authority's would not let that happen if there were any problems. ASAP Marine Documentation and Registration, Inc.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave,
Much thanks - exactly what I need and hoped to find with your knowledgeable help.
Now for a surveyor and convenient boatyard.
Old 09-08-2016, 19:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgutierrez View Post
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is and not worth the hassle. Given you probably might in the long run venture in waters out of the territorial US, you might find overseas liens or issues with the boat when clearing customs at home or abroad. There are too many sailboats out there looking for a good home. Best of luck to you.

Sent by P Gutierrez, 5th Catalina owner
Pguttierrez - valid concerns expressed. The deal is "not too good" just seems more complicated than one would ideally hope for
If it pans out it should be worth the effort

Tags
fort lauderdale, purchase