Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2016, 21:09   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: Formosa 41 Stability Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
Zeehag, any experience or thoughts regarding the Peterson/Formosa 46?

Mike R
Cowichan Bay Can
The Peterson designed Formosa was an unauthorized version of the Peterson 44/46 built by Formosa. It has nothing to do with Garden's Formosa.
FORMOSA 46 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

More modern faster design without full keel and with a skeg rudder.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 21:54   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

peterson one not at all similar to garden one.
i hear they are fast.
wasnt there also a peterson morgan 44?? and a kelly peterson 44?? same boat different nam3s??
i was peeking at them back in way backwhen.....in my research phase for my aintgonnadoit rtw misadventure with my thankgods ex from hell...different life, lost angeles
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 23:02   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Kelly-Peterson 44 was first in 1976. Modified to be the Kelly-Peterson 46 in 1980.
Design was built without permission by Formosa as Formosa 46.

KELLY-PETERSON 44 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 17:47   #19

Welcome Maggie,

I looked up sail boat charters in Port Dover and found your boat Rogue Tiger. What a beautiful boat. Good luck in your search for a stability report. I am sure someone on here will be able to help you. Great group of people with a tun of knowledge.

Captain Dave
Davidonboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:26   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dave.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:47   #21

Boat: Formosa 41
Formosa 41- Rough weather sailing

I would like to thank everyone for your input on my request for a stability test. I am making progress in my search thanks to everyone who responded.

We need a stability report to be in compliance with Transport Canada's commercial vessel requirement.

We were linked to a gentleman who is a marine architect and he stated that Transport Canada would be satisfied with other sailors experiences in rough weather, on a Formosa 41. The experience has to be documented, dated and signed. Numbers would be helpful, for example degree of heel, knot speed, storm conditions and wave height.

You can email me directly at nursemaggie11@hotmail.com if you could possibly assist me in my attempt to satisfy Transport Canada.

Thank you all!

Maggie & David
nursemaggie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:53   #22

Hi....thank you for your earlier response......went on the site and got all the number I need. Have contacted a marine architect and submitted those number to him. Just waiting for a stability report from him....thank you again
Old 02-03-2016, 08:54   #23

Printed out the specifications.....Thank you so much.
Old 02-03-2016, 15:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dave.
Thank you Gord
Davidonboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:59   #25

Mike R there are many threads on this forum about the Peterson 44 and all of its different names and builders. If you are interested in them, it would be great reading. I sailed one for 8 years, and it sailed wonderfully. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 19:54   #26

Boat: 1976 Formosa 41 Yankee Clipper

Zeehag,

I have had a 1976 Formosa 41 Yankee Clipper for almost two years now. I am undergoing a bit of a refit. Updating electronics, fixing plumbing and electrical etc. I absolutely LOVE this boat! I am so happy I'm not the only one. I love the way she sails and you are so right about wind, she loves it! I feel so comfortable and safe sailing in conditions other boats would toss you around and make for an uncomfortable day.

I am choosing to fix my teak decks that were replaces in the 90's. I think that is the right decision as I like the look and feel underfoot. Do you have any suggestions?
So happy I'm not crazy for falling in love with the old girl! Such a great boat!
SVChasingAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:36   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVChasingAmy View Post
Zeehag,

I have had a 1976 Formosa 41 Yankee Clipper for almost two years now. I am undergoing a bit of a refit. Updating electronics, fixing plumbing and electrical etc. I absolutely LOVE this boat! I am so happy I'm not the only one. I love the way she sails and you are so right about wind, she loves it! I feel so comfortable and safe sailing in conditions other boats would toss you around and make for an uncomfortable day.

I am choosing to fix my teak decks that were replaces in the 90's. I think that is the right decision as I like the look and feel underfoot. Do you have any suggestions?
So happy I'm not crazy for falling in love with the old girl! Such a great boat!
no you are not crazy. these become part of the family when owned. have personality and character and each is different from the rest.
there is a fb group for those of us willing to assist in a book to be created on these. that group is named jewels of the sea. we are finding difficulty in obtaining info as an event we think may have been in 1978 changed our appearance and those like mine with faired bows have gone by the wayside. so have all records of build and yard named fbb. seems fbb was relocated from taipei to keelung in 1978.
i wish i had teak decking, as it is safer on feet than any other nonskid. slides less and is beautiful. treat with salt water daily for longevity.

as for righting moment, as we have nothing in writing, the words of michael of sailing ketch content told us about our stability.. he was knocked down, slid down the wave on his side keel first, then popped right back up to continue on albeit wetly . awesome tale. we m et in mazatlan on his way back north after some many years and a couple decades of sailing said formosa or ct 41 ketch. works for me.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formosa, sail, sailing, weather