Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-10-2014, 02:51   #1

Folding And Storing The Jib

I know this might seem like a ridiculous question to some folks on here, but how do you folks go about flaking and storing the jib. I know the basics, but seem to get myself all tangled up in the process. I was on the boat yesterday practicing with it and ended up sitting in the cockpit with a beer laughing at myself.

I already know that my sail bag is way too small and adds to the confusion. I have to cram the jib into the bag. I am in the process replacing the bag with something longer and wider so I can lay the jib in, instead of almost having to ball it up.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:02   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Folding And Storing The Jib

Here's how Quantum says to do it:

Fold your Sails Carefully
The next important way to help keep your sails in good order is to fold them carefully for storage. Rolling your sails is the best way to prevent wrinkles and sharp bends in the fibers of the sailcloth. However, storing a sausage sail is a bit difficult. At the end of the season, take extra time to prepare your sails for storage. Correct folding will take the work of 2 people- one person kneeling along the leech of the sail, and another along the luff.

First, remove all mainsail battens from their batten pockets. Begin the folds, or flakes, along the foot, both on mainsails and genoas. Stretch the foot of the sail until all wrinkles disappear. Move toward the head of the sail with each fold. While facing the center of the sail, place one knee on the foot of the sail and the other approximately 14 to 18 inches from the foot. This will vary with the size of the sail and the size you desire for the finished package.

Using your hand closest to the head of the sail, grab the leech (or luff) at a point approximately the same distance as your intended fold. Lift the material and pull it toward the foot of the sail placing it on top of the first fold and stretching it away from the center to remove any wrinkles.

Move your kneeling position toward the center of the sail, trying not to kneel on the fold areas, to prepare for the next fold. Place one knee along the foot of the sail and the order to hold the folded
portion from sliding. With each successive fold your kneeling position will move forward toward the center as the sail material gets narrower with each fold. Gently lay each fold on top of the previous folds without creasing the material. Sails with plastic windows need special attentions. Plan your folds so plastic windows lie flat in the center of a fold. Do not allow the plastic windows to be positioned along the middle of a crease. In cold weather, the plastic will become stiff and possibly brittle. It is likely to split when unfolding in the spring. On each plastic window, sprinkle a small amount of talcum powder to prevent the plastic window from sticking to the sail while folded. Continue this same folding procedure until the entire sail is flaked.

Finish by returning to the original positions at the tack and clew. Fold the flaked sail toward the center to create a bricklike shape.

Jibs and Genoas
Jibs and genoas are folded in the same manner with one exception. When the entire sail is spread out and before flaking has begun, place the head of the sail on top of the tack. This will quickly reduce the size of the sail by one half. Then continue with the flaking process. The person folding at the luff side of the sail can remain in place while the person folding the leech moves toward the center of the sail with each fold. The advantage is that you will have both the head and tack exposed when it is time to install the sail in the spring. Simply attach the halyard to the head and attach the tack to the deck fitting on the bow. All jib hanks will be exposed and ready for attachment to the forestay. If the sail is being fed into a roller-furling slot, the bolt rope will be ready and accessible.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:14   #3

Boat: Traditional 30

If you are by yourself, leave the Tack connected and the Sheet on firmly. This will hold the foot in place as you flake. Then release the sheet and fold onto itself. Bag it while the tack is still connected.

Always pack it so the Tack is at the opening of the bag. This way, when using it again, it can be connected while still in the bag. Thus preventing the entire sail blowing away by accident.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:09   #4

Boat: Niagara 35

Good quote from Quantum. I would disagree with folding the head to the tack before folding, though, as it will be harder to hoist later that way without screwing around with it.

They make a very important point which is the #1 mistake people make: Always keep the luff stacking on top of itself (the person flaking on the luff side stays stationary and the leech person moves towards them). The head should end up in the same place as the tack in the end. This way it will hoist clean.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:18   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

from You Tube....... . once its folded, unsnap from the forstay and put it into the bag, and toss it below..........
Old 02-10-2014, 09:22   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

It's a bit easier if you take the sail ashore and do it. Or if you're on a decent sized dock do it there. Trying to flake and fold it on the foredeck is not the easiest thing to do.
Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:51   #7

Rig a jib downhaul line, connect it to the second hank down, never the top one.

Sail on port tack. Heave to. Keep the starboard jib sheet tight. Drop the jib on the foredeck. It will already be neatly and properly folded because of the way the hanks are installed. Roll the sail up into your bag.

Done.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:58   #8

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo

Maybe this picture will help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Main and Jib sail folding.jpg
Views:	1349
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	89120  
Old 02-10-2014, 10:00   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Rig a jib downhaul line, connect it to the second hank down, never the top one.

Sail on port tack. Heave to. Keep the starboard jib sheet tight. Drop the jib on the foredeck. It will already be neatly and properly folded because of the way the hanks are installed. Roll the sail up into your bag.

Done.
Roller furling?
Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:25   #10

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Maybe this picture will help.
The jib picture is backwards. You want to work towards the tack, not the clew. Otherwise your hoist will be a nightmare.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:14   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I drop it then pull the sheet tight then go forward and neatly flake the luff without taking it off the stay. Then I go along and flake the bunts along the deck.

Then I take the bag, slide it under the jib and zip it. Then I undo the sheets and start furling the bag forward. When I get to the luff I undo the hanks and slide the luf into the bag and zip it close. I will normally run a sailtie round the bag before dragging it aft or dropping it thru the hatch.

When no zip bag available I just roll the sail till I get to the luff, then bag it, then undo the luff. Again, I will wrap a sailtie around it prior to handling the bag on.

On racing boats I often just bag it in a zip and drag it aft (or else tie it to the rail but I generally avoid doing so).

I avoid removing the sail on cruising boats underway.

Cheers,
b.
Old 02-10-2014, 15:43   #12

Thank you all for the responses. I will be on the boat for most of the weekend working things out........... with both Jib and main. The good wife had a look at my jib being stowed the other day, and is on the hunt for a good jib bag for me.

V/R.....John
Old 02-10-2014, 15:50   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
The jib picture is backwards. You want to work towards the tack, not the clew. Otherwise your hoist will be a nightmare.
+1

Tags
jib

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: